I want a good, CHEAP, turntable.

PleaseKillMeNow

Aerobics Instructor,
There's at least 5 sub forums to stick this in...

I'm not looking for anything too fancy. I just don't want to feel like I have to settle on a stupid Crosley.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Get a late 80's/early 90's Technics. I got one for $50 and it's great.

Greatkiller

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Any turntable with a direct drive is good............no belt drive.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
Define cheap and define good. Also define what you want it to do.

Do you want any automation? Does it need its own preamp? What kind of cartridge do you plan on putting on it? What kind of music do you intend to play?

I personally would only fool with Technics direct drive tables but I found my mom-in-law an Audio Technica automatic belt-drive one w/ its own preamp (this one, I think) that has been just fine for her (and is much cheaper than my 1200s, of course).

Last edited:

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
Years ago I was looking to get something relatively inexpensive, but good quality, and at that time it seemed the best option was a Revolver Rebel. I never did get one, and now I've been once again considering buying a turntable, and I have no idea what would be decent.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. :)

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
If you want a record player for convenient home use, don't buy a DJ deck without automatic start/stop, better get a used Marantz, an 80s/90s standard Technics like ki mentioned, a Dual or even and old Teac, remove the original crap system (head + stylus/needle) and buy a proper one for it, my fave is the Ortofon range of products, not cheap but well worth the money.

Never buy a record player where the arm and head are one piece. I've seen some that had excellent mechanics but bad systems. Bad system = bad sound, and really crappy ones may also damage your records.

Segata_Sanshiro

Tesse's Maintainence Man
15 Year Member
Get a used Technics 1200 and you'll be set for life.

As Tak as mentioned a Fisher Price one or something will destroy your records. Even a good table will wear them out if you use them too much

PleaseKillMeNow

Aerobics Instructor,
Hmm... there's a lot of good suggestions in this thread, I'll have to check them all out.

As far as cheap goes, anything $150 and under?

I don't necessarily need a preamp, but if there's anything good and fits in my price range I'm game.

As far as genres, mostly older stuff - '60s and '70s rock and pop. The Best of Leonard Cohen will be getting a lot of spins.

I'm not going to invest too much into this, just some casual listening here and there. Would anyone even recommend anything put out by Crosley?

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
For just casual listening, belt drive is fine as long as you're prepared to replace the belt on an older deck right off the bat (you may not need to, but make sure a replacement is available). Everything Takumaji said is good advice. You also won't have to spend an armload on a cartridge because you don't have to worry about tracking crazy-loud dance music. I personally prefer Shure carts (I find Ortofon to be overpriced) but Audio Technica and Stanton will get the job done as well. As long as you get one with a spherical stylus and don't track it heavy, vinyl wear shouldn't be a big deal.

Finally, if you don't get one with a built-in preamp, you'll need a receiver that has a phono input. You may already know, but some people don't and newer receivers tend to lack phono inputs. If you do have a phono input, though, it will open up your options a lot.
Is this a good one? I dunno the difference between the models, just that the Tech Twelve's invincibility is legendary. I need a new record player myself
The 1210MkII is exactly the 1200MkII but black.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
If you want a record player for convenient home use, don't buy a DJ deck without automatic start/stop, better get a used Marantz, an 80s/90s standard Technics like ki mentioned, a Dual or even and old Teac, remove the original crap system (head + stylus/needle) and buy a proper one for it, my fave is the Ortofon range of products, not cheap but well worth the money.

Never buy a record player where the arm and head are one piece. I've seen some that had excellent mechanics but bad systems. Bad system = bad sound, and really crappy ones may also damage your records.

I was at a high performance audio and video store and they were trying to sell me
a 1200 dollar player. belt driven and single construction arm. his arguements were
that belt driven is quieter than direct drive, that direct drive has noise from the motor that
is included in the sound as opposed to a belt driven where the motor is not directly under the
vinyl. also that the single construction arm when made right is the best for sound quality.

do I believe the guy?
kinda, but I wouldn't go that route. I was raised by my dad to accept nothing other than direct
drive. my first turntable was a technics. I love my baby, anyways, if you're looking for
it on the cheap i'd reccommend hitting the goodwills on a regular basis (but don't buy just
any turntable there, test it out). It would probably be good to pick up a receiver.
you'll need one if the player you get doesn't have a preamp which is the case 90%
of the time if you're picking up something used and is old equipment.
I got a pioneer dd in dallas at the sidewalk sale where alot of folks
unload stuff that they buy in bulk from estate sales for 25 dollars. got a broken sansui receiver
for 4 bucks at goodwill that just needed some fuses.

Listen to tak and get a decent needle. but the brands listed are great.
do you need a direct drive? not really, I love the ability to control the pitch and make sure
it's running at the right speed so I don't accept anything less.

Listening to vinyl is the way artists wanted they're music to be played.
listen to the entire album as an entire body of work.
cds made it convenient to ignore songs other than the popular singles,
and even worse in my mind, it's encouraged to just buy singles from places like I tunes.
I tunes is pandora's box that'll can never be closed for music as far as I'm concerned.
vinyl is cool.
have fun.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I was at a high performance audio and video store and they were trying to sell me
a 1200 dollar player. belt driven and single construction arm. his arguements were
that belt driven is quieter than direct drive, that direct drive has noise from the motor that
is included in the sound as opposed to a belt driven where the motor is not directly under the
vinyl. also that the single construction arm when made right is the best for sound quality.

high-performance audio video store... well, guess the guys there haven't had/sold a lot of record players then, because that's only half the truth.

When implemented correctly (like in a Technics 1210 MK2 for example), direct-drive is the preferred method because there's no chance that the record won't spin in the correct speed and there will be no startup delay, the record will start to spin full-speed with a single button push. This isn't important for home use but DJs couldn't live without it.

Again, a good direct drive won't transfer motor sounds to the music, only the crappy ones do (read, players with simple gear wheels without proper suspension). Personally I wouldn't spend to much thought on belt-/ceramic-/direct-drive, though, at least not for home use. Of course it's recommended to check out the player in question before buying. Just take a record with high dynamics, e.g. a classical recording with lots of quiet parts and listen to it via good headphones, there should be no humming sounds whatsoever.

Oh, and this is another reason to buy a record player with segmented arm. The better systems like Ortofon come with facilities to avoid "bad vibrations" getting transferred to the needle, they're cradle-based system with dampers. You could use a MK2 with an orange Ortofon system next to a passing freight train and you wouldn't notice any problems with the sound.

Yeah, single construction is preferred in high-end record players for $2k+ but I guess that's not what Wopat really wants... I have yet to find a cheap player (let's say less than for $100) with a decent system, most of them come with standard low-bass-high-mids sapphires that let even high-quality vinyl recordings sound like garage band tapes.

Good belt or direct drive, segmented arm, automatic start/stop, proper diamond-needle-based system, heavily built, metal table with soft slipmat, cueable and non-pre-amped, IMO that's how a good record player for home use should be like.

rarehero

20 Year Member
high-performance audio video store... well, guess the guys there haven't had/sold a lot of record players then, because that's only half the truth.

yea, he was just trying to push products when I was just there to ask if
they had stuff to clean vinyl with.
right now I'm looking for new stylus. I have a pioneer pl-530 and
the since I don't want to replace the head I'm just going to get one of the stock needles
they have online for about 30 bucks.

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
360219445_141e726937.jpg

Can't get much cheaper than that.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Too bad that they never got Laser Styluses to work.

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
...or expensive if you put a high-profile collector record on that ...thing.

Waitaminute!!
Are you implying that the Sesame Street licensed Fisher-Price record player is of poor quality?!

Thems fightin' words!! :mad:

/sarcasm off

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
heh

I had a similar "quality" model when I was little, it was meant as a robust kids' record player and by god it was robust as hell but killed my fairytale records faster than I could buy them with my pocket money.

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
heh

I had a similar "quality" model when I was little, it was meant as a robust kids' record player and by god it was robust as hell but killed my fairytale records faster than I could by them with my pocket money.

Admit it though!
Best Mono phone sound you can get for ~$0.85 at a yard sale!
And no grounding pin; so you know it's safe for kids!

Records may come and go.
But there's no easy way to destroy the monolith that is the Fisher-price turn-table!

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Records may come and go.
But there's no easy way to destroy the monolith that is the Fisher-price turn-table!

Yep, that stuff is almost indestructible, not even my three toy-killing nephews were able to damage their Fisher-price toys.

Oh, and Mono is cool, used to do entire gigs with a fuzzy mono guitar amp, just me, a master keyboard, three noise boxes, a sampler and a mixer... really love that frizzle sound.

rarehero

20 Year Member
Admit it though!
Best Mono phone sound you can get for ~$0.85 at a yard sale!
And no grounding pin; so you know it's safe for kids!

Records may come and go.

i beg to differ.
i bought one for 2 bucks and it's broke.
the thing that's preventing me from fixing it is
proprietary fisher price screws that are anything but conventional.
the speaker needs to be replaced, so when I get the chance I'm
going to dremel part of the offending parts on the heads and replace with some
new screws after I fix it.

KagerouSama

15 Year Member
i beg to differ.
i bought one for 2 bucks and it's broke.
the thing that's preventing me from fixing it is
proprietary fisher price screws that are anything but conventional.
the speaker needs to be replaced, so when I get the chance I'm
going to dremel part of the offending parts on the heads and replace with some
new screws after I fix it.

You're actually going to repair one?

Replacing it would be so much easier...