I.T. Study Exams

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
A buddy is going for his Security+ Cert. He’s spent a lot on study materials but they’re honestly not that great. I paid for the course 15 years ago when I got mine but curious if anyone has recommendations on where to find legit tests to study from.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I used Professor Messer's course notes years ago when I was trying to break into tech. They were awesome, honestly. Used 'em and bagged A+, Network+, and Security+ all within a few months of each other. I'm sure I still have them somewhere, but I'm also sure they're outdated at this point. If your homie is interested, this is the URL:

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
Thanks Ajax. That’s what he’s been using so I’ll tell him to stick with it. Thanks for the affirmation.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Cool. The notes were only $10 or $15 back then, but they were pretty useful. Looks like they cost quite a bit more now.

In thinking about this, I remembered one thing that really helped - Most testing places will give you a little whiteboard and markers which you can use for notes while you take the exam. Memorizing the port numbers and the corresponding protocols to the point of being able to write them all out on the whiteboard at the beginning of the exam was incredibly useful on both Network+ and Security+.

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
Cool. The notes were only $10 or $15 back then, but they were pretty useful. Looks like they cost quite a bit more now.

In thinking about this, I remembered one thing that really helped - Most testing places will give you a little whiteboard and markers which you can use for notes while you take the exam. Memorizing the port numbers and the corresponding protocols to the point of being able to write them all out on the whiteboard at the beginning of the exam was incredibly useful on both Network+ and Security+.
Thanks Ajax. I’ll pass that on.

Last edited:

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Not something I'd expect to see discussed here. Best of luck to your pal.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I also did Messer, but I was learning it just for fun back then... not really related to my work.
I don't think I paid for materials tho, which might be the bulk of his costs. It's possible Messer capitalized on his success and is monetizing more stuff.