I made a thing: Red Rover TradeMart: Fun little app update in a few days

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Hey guys,

Been working on an app, and want you guys to be the first to try it out.

You've done plenty of marketplace stuff before, so you probably get it in less than a 3 minute video, but humor me. I'll be testing a few low-budget vids.

https://redrovertrademart.com/

Red Rover TradeMart is the first 3+way trading app for collectibles. Upload your collection, add other people's items to your Wishlist, and the app will figure out trades between any number of people. It's a social network of things.

If you're the type of person that likes to share on Facebook, here's a link to the landing page, but within Facebook so people don't have to click-out.

https://www.facebook.com/RedRoverTradeMart/app/262219480920982/

Thank you all for checking out the app. I'll shoot you an email with your start date. (First signups this week will start next Tuesday)

If you live in the Bay Area, and would like to make $50, send me a PM and we'll schedule an afternoon for me to watch exactly how you use the app. I imagine I could do this for at least 10 people, then time constraints might be an issue.

If you have any advice, lay it on me. I appreciate you.

Special thanks to some of the members here: mjmjr25, RAZ_HOE!, wyo, BerryTogart, and aha2940 for helping get Neo items on the app on day 1. Cdamm for spending his time on the phone to share his advice (we are still working on the shipping label feature, thanks!), and Stefan for keeping me in his thoughts.

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
If you live in the Bay Area, and would like to make $50, send me a PM and we'll schedule an afternoon for me to watch exactly how you use the app. I imagine I could do this for at least 10 people, then time constraints might be an issue.

if you dont live in the area is it 50 shipped?

srs- glad you got it off the ground! good luck!

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Yet another guy who will become a billionaire in no time thanks to an idea that sounds so simple that nobody else thought of it before. Good luck with it man, sounds great! :)

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Good luck with the App FS. I know you told me you were working on this app awhile back. Glad it's up and running.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
+1 for the use of the N64 controller. What's the recourse if someone doesn't actually send their end of the trade?

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Cool idea man, this definitely makes trading a viable option. Hope it takes off.

+1 for the use of the N64 controller. What's the recourse if someone doesn't actually send their end of the trade?

Curious about this as well. With more parties involved it kind of ups the complexity/potential for scamming.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Fuck yeah. This sounds like a 2017 version of GTZ. Signed up.

That video needs moar tits though.

Last edited:

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Thanks, fellas. When I say this is just the beginning, I don't mean that as a cliche. Where this is heading can really open up some interesting transaction possibilities.

Cool idea man, this definitely makes trading a viable option. Hope it takes off.

Curious about this as well. With more parties involved it kind of ups the complexity/potential for scamming.

Credit card is needed. This is just one of the ways to establish user confidence. Essentially, when you "Like" someone's item, you attach a value to that item. It's not like eBay where you have to pay that amount at the end of a time period. In short, that's how much your card would be charged if you end up getting that item and fuck someone by not shipping. You may think you could put in $1 to get around that, but then the app will ignore the intensity you want the item as non-equitable. Some shipping information is added as well, and that's improving (working on having shipping labels being emailed with precise shipping costs), so, we've got the information on how much you value something monetarily, as well as the shipping cost others had to spend on you, so that can all be added up and your card charged. Since the scammer would also have to cover shipping charges and not just the value of the items themselves, this prevents them from not shipping to one person (an expensive, but light, item) while having someone else send them a heavy, expensive-to-ship item.

People are smart, though, so I'll just say I'm aware a user could say, "Well, if I don't ship in 5 days I'll have my card charged for X amount, and I'm okay with that - seems like a fine deal to me". Shit like that, I'll have to deal with. Technically, the user that gets the money should be okay with that because when you list your item you're inputting a value range for that item and the app is playing match-maker for items on you Wishlist that fall within that range. But, people are human, and we don't like feeling fucked even if that isn't necessarily what the person was thinking they were doing.

So, that's first line of defense. Besides that, to help keep the complexity/potential for scamming down a little at the moment, people can only trade single items for single items (outside of people posting bundles).

I'll later go into another cool feature that helps with user confidence as well, and have a blog post about some future security features people can advise on.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
This sounds awesome, I love it. I'm in! Good video as well. Happy to participate in something like this.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Red Rover - The Future Is Now! This app could fix a lot within this cursed hobby. To success!!!

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Win a Nintendo Switch contest is up.

https://redrovertrademart.com/giveaways/win-a-nintendo-switch/

After you enter, you'll immediately get share buttons and a custom URL. The more people that sign up through your shares, the more bonus entries you get. Simple as that. Just check your junk folder if the confirmation email shows up there. You know what to do.

Glad to share the link..but isn't it counter intuitive? If we don't share the smallish group of us will be the only ones entered as opposed to everyone who gets our link. Plus, since this is a very beta launch, not sure it will have the same impact (since the ios app isn't even out yet).

Last edited:

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Nice job, Matt! This looks really smooth and you've put a lot of effort and foresight into it.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Glad to share the link..but isn't it counter intuitive? If we don't share the smallish group of us will be the only ones entered as opposed to everyone who gets our link. Plus, since this is a very beta launch, not sure it will have the same impact (since the ios app isn't even out yet).

Oh, do share! But just be sure to share your custom URL. That's what gets you bonus entries.

I bet you're right, and I'm sort of counting on that. I want to know what I don't know, before it goes live.

In future weeks I'll expand the user limit, and this contest runs past the first increase date (saw you edited. . .)

Last edited:

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Promo for today: First member to upload 10 items gets a NeoSaveMasta Memory Card! Shoot me a PM if you think you've got it. I might have more than one right next to me.

Initial invites sent. Let's see what the conversion ratio for actual logins is. . .

Rev, kept you added in case you had a secret iOS device laying around (like an iPod Touch). I remember you entered Android initially, but it was updated when you confirmed your email and I had the defaults set to iOS.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Promo for today: First member to upload 10 items gets a NeoSaveMasta Memory Card! Shoot me a PM if you think you've got it. I might have more than one right next to me.

Initial invites sent. Let's see what the conversion ratio for actual logins is. . .

Rev, kept you added in case you had a secret iOS device laying around (like an iPod Touch). I remember you entered Android initially, but it was updated when you confirmed your email and I had the defaults set to iOS.

If I entered android initially (which I don't believe I would have) I don't need it. I'm iOS all the way. First thoughts...I'm thinking you might need to figure out applepay/googlepay or paypal...asking to put a credit card number into an app without a transaction yet to have occurred is going to turn a lot of people off to the concept. Just flat out asking for CC information up front screams fraud, especially until going mainstream.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
CC up front. Contact information for the domain hidden by Domains by Proxy. Mailing address is a PO Box. Only form of contact is email. Not sure those things add up to establishing user confidence for people who don't know you from here. Though it is still early and if you're sticking to a smaller circle of people from here and their friends, maybe won't be an issue.

Last edited:

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
CC up front. Contact information for the domain hidden by Domains by Proxy. Mailing address is a PO Box. Only form of contact is email. Not sure those things add up to establishing user confidence for people who don't know you from here. Though it is still early and if you're sticking to a smaller circle of people from here and their friends, maybe won't be an issue.

Nah, it'll be an issue for plenty. You and Rev each said it pretty well. At this point, people probably don't give a fuck who I am, but if their friend said they used it they'd probably listen to their friend.

Paypal, I'd have to re-read. My first choice was two-fold: Apple Pay and payment confirmation later in the flow. Apple has guidelines on what type of transaction are allowed to be used for Pay, and these types of transactions didn't fall under those - Pay isn't quite as open as third party vendors. They'll change that in time. And, yeah, later in the flow was also desired, but some shit happens and we find what looks like the right spot for safety, but the wrong spot for the appearance of safety (and from the eyes of a developer, it's added friction for the user to do lots of other stuff in the app, but like I said, we realized shit can happen from earlier tests. Maybe shit happens no matter what, I don't know).

Last edited: