I have made a LED mini marquee system and want to share.

acblunden2

Rugal's Thug
HI, I am working on a panel with no screw mounts and as small as possible for things like this that you can tape to fix, a few people have tested for me so I think it will be ok.

Ahh, yes. That would be perfect as the screw mounts make the panels a little thick for MVS-U4. Still though, it works. A little snug as the marquee bezel goes over the LED panels, but it works.

Question: I noticed in your video you are drawing +5vdc from the motherboard. Is that right? So pins 1 and 8 on the motherboard are GND and +5VDC respectively? No need to draw +5vdc from the PSU?
As for the brightness control when it first turns on it shows the test at a set level of 50% and it does not use the brightness control, looking at the board from the front with the ELA cable on the left and brightness control to the right if you turn the pot all the way clockwise it will set a level of 0 or off and turn it anticlockwise it will set a level of 100% so what you have said is not a bug and just how it is supposed to work.

Ahh, k. Shoot, it was frustrating. Seems adjusting the brightness controls when the cab is on does nothing? I must have left it turned full clockwise. I'll mess around with it a little more. For the brightness adjustments to set the changes, the cab has to be power cycled?

Great product nonetheless. Will last much longer than the original ELA panels.

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
Ahh, yes. That would be perfect as the screw mounts make the panels a little thick for MVS-U4. Still though, it works. A little snug as the marquee bezel goes over the LED panels, but it works.

Question: I noticed in your video you are drawing +5vdc from the motherboard. Is that right? So pins 1 and 8 on the motherboard are GND and +5VDC respectively? No need to draw +5vdc from the PSU?

Ahh, k. Shoot, it was frustrating. Seems adjusting the brightness controls when the cab is on does nothing? I must have left it turned full clockwise. I'll mess around with it a little more. For the brightness adjustments to set the changes, the cab has to be power cycled?

Great product nonetheless. Will last much longer than the original ELA panels.
did you not receive instructions ? you have to press test to change the brightness this is so it's not always checking the pot all the time and it could fluctuate.

The new control board should light up panel 1 through to 4 and then go back to 1 and wait for the neo geo to switch panels.
You can test this by removing the game carts and pressing player 1 to enter test mode.
Mode 1 = Neo Geo normal mode
You can set the brightness of the panels by pressing Test.
Mode 2 = 1st panel is on and you can set the brightness level.
Mode 3 = All panels off.
Mode 4 = Test Panel 1.
Mode 5 = Test panel 2.
Mode 6 = Test Panel 3.
Mode 7 = Test panel 4.
Mode 8 = incoming BCD data
Press test to return to mode 1 or reset.

and yes you can take power from the ELA port on the NeoGeo it's directly linked to 5v on the edge connector.

I attached the instruction PDF and you can see the connections too red = 5v and black = gnd.

If you want to cut of the screw mounts to help with fitting it's fine

Attachments

• mini marquee new ELA cable.pdf
    400 KB · Views: 2

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
Hi everyone, wow it's been a while since I posted here. I want to thank anyone who has ordered kits, they are still for sale and I am working hard to find new parts as the chip shortage continues. This week I have a new version of the main pcb that is going through testing and so far is 100% so I have plenty of led panels and control boards. Same for the credit boards and the card reader boards.