I fried a MV1C

littlecharlie

Quiz Detective
Hi, I had a 5v modded mv1c, and accidentaly I connected a 12v power supply (its exactly the same as the 5v power supply, and I mixed up).
So, everything that is supposed to get 5v, got 12v.

So now I get a first screen with garbage, and then a still screen with nothing.
And I've noticed that the main chip (the big one) gets super hot, in just 3 or 4 seconds.

Is there something I could do, or its beyond repair and I should throw it right away?

:cry:

Last edited:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
The big chip is definitely a goner...It may be a good idea to replace the whole motherboard because it's highly likely another chip or two may have suffered the same fate. I know for a fact that the chip YSM is highly susceptible to failing.
Never toss the board though,somebody may be able to salvage something from it..
BB

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
A tough lesson for everybody I think. Never keep a higher voltage power supply around that looks like it goes with your unregulated 5v equipment.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Yep, keep the board as spare parts and get another one. You're basically fried there, label your +12v power supply and keep it separate from others from here on

littlecharlie

Quiz Detective
definetly the hard way ... I spent lots of hours on that PCB, with problems with the battery (very fast drain), and had to replace several chips. And additionally, it had connected also a gbs8200 with the wifi mod, and a vga to hdmi. All powered up with 5v.

So I may have fried more than "just" the PCB.

And MV1Cs are getting extremely expensive these days

Last edited:

littlecharlie

Quiz Detective
It's the 5v mod that is described in the "jamma nation X" website.
Basically you get rid of the 12v because you don't use the sound amp and you get audio directly from the chip.

The psu that I use are typically like this:

fuente-de-alimentacion-5v-4a-eu-kubii.jpg

I have 5v psu that I use in these CMVS, and I also have 12v psu (they look excatly the same as the 5v psu, and have the same jack connector) that I use in other projects.

matman

n00b
yeah, i see what you mean. I've made it a habit of using a ptouch label on all my power supplies like that with voltage and amps. my eyesight is getting worse and there are so many lying around now it gets so confusing.

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Don't mark the PSU body, mark the connector side so you always see the label when putting in on the console.

avramce

Kabuki Klasher
Don't mark the PSU body, mark the connector side so you always see the label when putting in on the console.
On my work bench, I have red electrical tape on the barrel of my 5V and yellow on my 12V to prevent this as well.