Hyper Neo Geo 64 language options?

tbogard99

New Challenger
I am interested in getting a Hyper 64 but have a quick question. What determines the default language displayed on Hyper 64 games? Example: If I had Japanese Hyper 64 hardware and I plugged a USA Board of Sam Sho 64 into it, would the default languge be Japanese or English when I booted it up? I know that for MVS and AES it is the hardware that determines the language. I know that for CPS2/3 it is the game software that determines the default language. So I just wanted to know the facts before I buy. Thanks

Last edited:

Sklathill

n00b
I believe the default is set by the motherboard. Combinations of Japanese and US should be no problem. You can change the language in the test switch menu.

Spectre

Banned
There is what appears to be a big socketed bios chip on the underside of the motherboard, so I would guess the setup is the same as the MVS - bios dictates language, all other hardware (mobo + game carts) is identical.

As Sklathill said, you can change the language via the test menu. I have a jap rev2 mobo and jap copies of ss64-2, ffwa & buriki and you can change to english on all of them.

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
I have the same set-up as Spectre and can confirm his comments.

Also, and this is nice, if you have a dedicated MVS cab, the rev-2 JAMMA boards have 2 switches on the mo-bo that switch the pin-outs to MVS. This means your MVS cab "test" button, which differs from true JAMMA standard, will function in and allow you access to the game and system menus. Very handy, especially for Real Bout, as the defaults for that are particularly stupid (easy setting, 1 round bouts, no sound on demo, etc.).