Humble Neo Geo Encore Bundle

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
A repeat of the Neo Geo Humble Bundle, from a few months ago, will be up for three days, incase anybody missed it the first time around.

link

Yoshi

20 Year Member
The best news here is somewhat hidden. If you bought the bundle before, any of the games that have recently shown up on Steam, e.g. BS2 and TSS, will now have Steam keys in your Humble account.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Thanks for the post! Do these work with OSX or just exclusive to Windows like previous SNK games compatibility?

Yoshi

20 Year Member
The husks are Windows only, but the legalized ROMs inside could certainly be used with an OSX emulator.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
its worth it for the kof 98UM and 02UM, might get it, do ppl still even play those games on steam?

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
The best news here is somewhat hidden. If you bought the bundle before, any of the games that have recently shown up on Steam, e.g. BS2 and TSS, will now have Steam keys in your Humble account.

Thanks for the heads up!

its worth it for the kof 98UM and 02UM, might get it, do ppl still even play those games on steam?

I don't know how dead it is for those games, but those games are based on the final arcade versions. Something to keep in mind. Also, there's an AST mod for 98UM.

housethemous

New Challenger
Although these ports certainly aren't perfect, it's a great way to support SNK and show them that we still cherish these games and want more of them. Also, this is probably the cheapest LEGAL way to play these games. I heard that they fixed some slowdown issues too in some of the games very recently that a lot of people seem to enjoy the update.

Last edited:

Tanooki

War Room Troll
They're not even ports, it's the ROM sets off the boards, but what you have is a poor licensed pretty outdated version of a Neo Geo emulator so you get some little glitches and the sound isn't quite right enough it could annoy the hell out of a purist.

The up side though on this is that you have 25 games total, 23 of them are on GoG as stand alones. If you install them in a directory is a zip file with the ROM set and you can toss it your favorite computer, android, ios or whatever system you like with your emulator of preference and do it some justice. Given you're paying less than 2 quarters of time per game it's really worth it for $10 to get everything including that 25th anniversary neo geo soundtrack too. I recently went on vacation and tossed some of those ROMs on my tablet to have fun with on the plane, mostly ended up doing Neo Turf Masters and played a dump League Bowling which wasn't part of this deal.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
so its just the same bundle? Sucks for me but great for those that missed it.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Yeah I got news of it on another site I use, cross checked it with my current list of stuff and it's the same. The only changes being noted in the thread of added steam keys. I gave away the keys I had last time as I don't like using Steam unless it's an only option.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
added steam keys? so the non Steam games are now redeemable on Steam?

edit: hmmmm apparently they updated some of the games with Steam keys at some point. I just checked and I had like 5 unredeemed keys from the previous bundle.

good on SNK for that

Last edited:

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Thanks for posting this. Sure they are just Romz but having it in my steam library and then on any computer I use is totally worth 10 dollars, also nice to support charity and SNK.

Is a Neo Geo X controller a good idea to get the most out of these?

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Thanks for posting this. Sure they are just Romz but having it in my steam library and then on any computer I use is totally worth 10 dollars, also nice to support charity and SNK.

Is a Neo Geo X controller a good idea to get the most out of these?

Whats also cool about this is you can run many of these games directly from a browser. Nice to have for my laptop if i want or need to run a game real quick for some reason with little to no hassle.

As for the NeoGeoX stick, I have never even held one. Thing is, every time I get tempted to get one so i can have a dedicated NEOGEO style stick, I am told they are junk and to stay away....not even to harvest its shell. I imagine thats a bit of hyperbole but you're probably better off just getting a TE or SE and just put some button plugs in the extra 4 holes.

or just get an actual NeoGeo stick or one of the PS2 or PS3 versions but obviously those cost more

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
As for the NeoGeoX stick, I have never even held one. Thing is, every time I get tempted to get one so i can have a dedicated NEOGEO style stick, I am told they are junk and to stay away....not even to harvest its shell. I imagine thats a bit of hyperbole but you're probably better off just getting a TE or SE and just put some button plugs in the extra 4 holes.

or just get an actual NeoGeo stick or one of the PS2 or PS3 versions but obviously those cost more
this. There are way better sticks for less $ out there. You could get some cheap stick for the enclosure/board and pimp it with Sanwa/Seimitsu parts...

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Hmm... they are quite cheap in the UK : http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/neo-geo-x-arcade-stick-only-24-99-including-postage-2467799

I might get one just to see. Has to be better than the piece of junk chinese usb stick I'm currently using.

At that price I'd say it's worth it (for UKers). The biggest problem was the fact that they were billed by Tommo as the second coming of the old style Neo stick. An exact replica with identical parts and quality. Instead it's a cheap, lower quality, knockoff that they sold for way more than it's worth. It's an OK stick if you aren't expecting (and paying for) original quality.

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
cool bundle. Get the stick if you fancy something to chuck around for ng specifically, but if you don't have a decent sanwa/seimitsu or even hori kai stick, I'd just save up for one of those for all kinds of games on pc.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Bump for the last twenty hours. Get'em while they're cheap.