How to send paypal gift? - aka fuck paypal again.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
I tried to google search but it appears their policy has changed over the years and couldn't find a current answer.

When I put in a person's email, it shows who I'm sending money to

"You send = X"
"Recipient gets = X"

"Send Money Now"

I'm afraid to click the "send money now" button. It appears the recipient is getting the exact amount I send, but I see no option to gift and I have a feeling something is fucky.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
As long as you selected Send Money to Friends and Family, as opposed to Send Money for Goods and Services, then you'll be sending as gift and will not incur a fee.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
Also, it should show the fee amount (if any) right before you send cash.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
I chose Send to Friends and Family, and it's having me pay the fee instead. I'm confused.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Ah, looks like I need to connect a bank account. Paypal should have a "set up a fake bank account so you don't have to attach your real bank account" button.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The new change is utter bullshit for people outside the USA, especially because the USD is used on 90% of the internet.

If you're in Canada, the default currency for the recipient is CAD. If you sell something in USD and Paypal gets away with giving you CAD, they take away a percentage in conversion fees. If you try to buy something in USD but you only have CAD, Paypal performs ANOTHER currency conversion and ANOTHER fee.

Fuck Paypal.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Also, it should show the fee amount (if any) right before you send cash.

It does not show the fee because (AFAIK) it's the person receiving the money the one who pays, so no fee for the sender, just for the receiver. Also, some of us have no option to send as gift, only as goods, no idea why (maybe because I am not in the US?)

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
The new change is utter bullshit for people outside the USA, especially because the USD is used on 90% of the internet.

If you're in Canada, the default currency for the recipient is CAD. If you sell something in USD and Paypal gets away with giving you CAD, they take away a percentage in conversion fees. If you try to buy something in USD but you only have CAD, Paypal performs ANOTHER currency conversion and ANOTHER fee.

Fuck Paypal.

Sounds like I should open a bunch of bank accounts for all the non-US members here while I'm at the bank.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Okay, it's still charging me a fee even after I link a bank account.

1) First it says he'll get an amount ("recipient gets = x" when I sent x) which is not true.

2) Then it says it's free when I link a bank account, but is charging me anyway even when that account is selected.

How have people successfully used this company? I'm lost.

Going to send the money anyway. But fuck paypal.

noir

Overtop Pathfinder
Okay, it's still charging me a fee even after I link a bank account.

1) First it says he'll get an amount ("recipient gets = x" when I sent x) which is not true.

2) Then it says it's free when I link a bank account, but is charging me anyway even when that account is selected.

How have people successfully used this company? I'm lost.

Going to send the money anyway. But fuck paypal.

Is the recipient in the US? Only time I've seen a fee is 1) If I'm paying via credit card or debit card 2) The recipient is in another country.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
Is the recipient in the US? Only time I've seen a fee is 1) If I'm paying via credit card or debit card 2) The recipient is in another country.

I agree with noir. I don't get charged a fee unless I pay with a credit card.

Maybe try signing out and back in if you just linked a bank account?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Don't like Paypal? Don't use it. Simple as that. Send a check instead, grandpa.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
I don't have a bank account linked to mine... Only ever use credit cards....

Gift means you pay the fees,
Goods or services means recipient pays the fees...

Someone has to pay the piper...

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
I don't have a bank account linked to mine... Only ever use credit cards....

Gift means you pay the fees,
Goods or services means recipient pays the fees...

Someone has to pay the piper...

That's accurate for credit cards, but not when you pay via bank account.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Don't like Paypal? Don't use it. Simple as that. Send a check instead, grandpa.

I did this with Steve in 2005. Mailed the dude a check. For whatever reason the mail came a month late and was stamped as being sent out only a few days before. Steve PM'd me a long message starting with something like, "I only ask one thing from my customers: honesty" and I felt so damn guilty that it arrived late through no fault of my own that I joined paypal soon after.

Inb4 cool story faggort

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer

Fuck Paypal.

I think PP allows you to manage multiple currencies in your account now. So you can have USD balance, CAD balance, JPY balance, etc. I haven't messed with it much, but saw it in my settings recently.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The problem is Paypal wants you to only get your local currency, even if it has to be converted from the buyer's currency. So instead of directly receiving the buyer's currency (something useful online like USD), Paypal converts it to CAD for a fee. Another fee if you try to pay that CAD to a buyer only accepting a different currency.