How to Properly Identify an Original Neo-Geo cab

GTO77

n00b
Hi Everyone! I've owned a 4-slot cab for 8+ years and was wondering: is there a way to reliably tell if a wooden cabinet is an original Neo Geo cabinet instead of a reproduction/conversion? Any markings inside or telling signs? Let me know what I should look for.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Hi Everyone! I've owned a 4-slot cab for 8+ years and was wondering: is there a way to reliably tell if a wooden cabinet is an original Neo Geo cabinet instead of a reproduction/conversion? Any markings inside or telling signs? Let me know what I should look for.

Post a picture and I can tell you from that.

GTO77

n00b
Looks legit but missing the side art. Not sure if it was just reapainted, or just a different cabinet converted for NeoGeo. I ordered some vinyl decals (after 8 years of owning this thing - better late than never) for the side art and hope that completes the deal.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Yea that's an original. Worst case it was a 2 slot converted to a 4 slot. Just missing decals on the sides.

GTO77

n00b
Yea that's an original. Worst case it was a 2 slot converted to a 4 slot. Just missing decals on the sides.

That is exactly what I've always suspected. A 2 slot converted to a 4 slot. I say that because the 4 slot marquee doesn't seem to fit all that well (part of the numbers under the mini marquees seem to be cut off by the bottom of the casing). I'm assuming the marquee for the 2 slot might be slightly thinner.

GTO77

n00b
Thanks for all the insights, everyone! Second question: why would an original cab be missing the sideart? Was that up to the operators to put on the cabinet and maybe they sometimes neglected? Or do you think it was most likely repainted over the original sideart?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Thanks for all the insights, everyone! Second question: why would an original cab be missing the sideart? Was that up to the operators to put on the cabinet and maybe they sometimes neglected? Or do you think it was most likely repainted over the original sideart?

You could do the side art yourself. I think they sell the the decals. Found them, here they are.

https://www.ebay.com/i/192697212585?chn=ps

I miss my Big Red.

Probably the original owner restored it and just never got a chance to add the decals. This was the same thing with me when I restored my original Big Red.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I was wrong. My Red had the decals but I was planning on restoring the side and putting new decals but never got a chance to. Ended up selling it. Here are some old pics I found of my 2 slot. It was also converted to a 4.

oY89Gej.jpg

RNmvysH.jpg

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Don't all of the legitimate milti slot cabs have a memory card slot on the front? I have a 2 slot and 4 slot tall boy and they both have that. I know a serial number plate can be pulled off, but the memory cart slot on the front is a bit harder to get rid of on the cab.