How much money for your saves?

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Parody thread, but, serious too.

Game saves represent many hours of your time and effort, what monetary value do you place on them?

Me: Nada. It's irritating to lose them, but, if it's something I haven't even played in awhile, I really don't give a shit either. Back in the PS1 days, I actually bought extra memory cards to keep duplicate paranoia backup saves of all my games though. I remember I unintentionally reformated my Sega Saturn memory card one time and lost everything too. And, of course, batteries in carts eventually croak.

Passwords though, passwords are forevah!!!!

I don't know if anybody does it anymore, but, I remember people used to sell memory cards that had saves with all Pokémon, characters, items, etc. for certain games on them on eBay...

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Think about this, data collectors/archivists buying used console memory cards.

@M

20 Year Member
I wonder, if a celebrity's console memory card, with their game saves, if it could be verified, would be worth anything? Imagine the scandal if you got Hulk Hogan's personal WCW/WWE create-a-wrestler characters and they all had hilariously inappropriate, racist names?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
You can have all the save data on all the games I've ever owned for 5 bucks.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Bought a bigger Memory Card for my PS2, worked fine for years until I bought Resident Evil 4. First save corrupted it, RIP Gran Turismo 4 save. Only one 24 hour race was left for completion if I remember correctly.

PS3 60GB version died the YLOD, RIP Gran Turismo 5 save. Bought a Super Slim and signed up PS+ after that. Never touched GT5 again.

Don't care if I lose a save when I finished a game but losing those two was kind of annoying. I'll send you a dirt cheap Lego set for each of my saves!

@M

20 Year Member
I have one of those huge capacity PS2 memory cards too and had some problems with it as well. I didn't lose any saves, but, some games just didn't work right with it. RE4, like you, and also MGS3.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Parody thread, but, serious too.
That's the way I like them most.

On topic: Saved data is kind of useful during gameplay, where certain parts have to be unlocked. You want the challenge of the Master level in Thunder Force V? First you have to beat it on Hard difficulty. It's nice to have it backed-up already. Or take Rez: no Trance Mission for a nice portion of Synesthesia, if you don't have your past data present. Sometimes loosing it motivates to take another ride, but who has time, right? Cease your conscience, make a pic of your score/time/whatever and print it to watch how it outlasts you and your games.

The part where it gets silly, though, is certainly reached when people start saving their clears. Sure, it's helpful to have a nice superplay at hand now and then from someone else, but what's the use of it for that someone themselves? Allow me to quote you here M: Nada. Even worse, like saying 'hey, I was drunk last weekend and recorded it for this one to watch instead of drink'. As if drowning one's sorrows in oblivion worked that way. Once you go that route, there's only one thing left to say, I guess: congrats, neckbeard-level achieved.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
If I’m in the middle of the game the save can be quite important. If it’s old though, who cares? Why struggle to protect a save for 20 years that you made from scratch in a weekend? If you really like the game don’t you want to play it again anyway?

Modern games are one thing but...a lot of noobs to PC Engine start out by “fixing” the “problem” of the saves disappearing from the system if you don’t power it up every few weeks. They try to change the super cap to a battery or even to use flash...why? Why do you care so much about saves for a system than you can’t manage to actually turn on regularly? The PCE doesn’t have Gran Turismo or Six Man Scramble or even Final Fantasy VI. All the saves are usually just high scores, level completion, and very basic RPG progress. They can disappear and I’ll just make them all again. I %100 Dracula X every Halloween.

If you paid $20 for the official Monster Energy Drink cock ring in Call of Duty: Arab Killer and now the servers are gone and you can’t ever restore the 100MB save file on your way too fucking powerful black box from Sonysoft or whoever, that’s a different story, obviously.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I always wondered about those people who make master save files for long JRPGs with everything already acquired/discovered and just uploading them on gamefaqs.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
When I still had video games, I had sentimental attachment to game saves on my memory card and even bought a second memory card instead of deleting old game saves of games I had only rented. Sometimes I would look at the old game saves and see the date of the last time I played the game and just think about what I was doing around that time.

Now I fill that void by looking up old threads and looking at members and seeing when was the last time they logged in.

@M

20 Year Member
This is probably unique to me, but, I also made and kept saves at particular points in games that had easy access to a monster or boss I was interested in making a figurine of someday, for reference purposes. 😃

I much prefer games with bestiaries, ideally with a 3D rotation/zoom function, where I can study enemy models or sprites in detail whenever I wish.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The thrill, cursing and satisfaction in completing extremely hard games are priceless.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
If your life was to be defined by the game saves you left behind, I would be seen as a disorganised individual who fails in committing to any one thing for longer than half a fart.

Thanks M, now I feel fucking great.

@M

20 Year Member
It still pisses me off you deleted your photobucket. So many of your old creations lost forever.
I told you before, Sage, all my shit is backed up, on physical media, and in da cloud, nothing is gone forever. All my Photobucket images were blurred and watermarked by them anyway, so, they were useless.

I just remembered that my toy collectard-ism extends to video games too. I still have two Brave Fencer Musashi saves on a PS1 memory card (a game I don't even own, I just borrowed it from a friend), one with all of the in-game action figures still MIP, one with them all opened. 😁

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Probably zero to anyone else but myself, and to be honest most saves are fucking disposable, you'd probably want to start over after a while.

There's something that I keep since the PS1 era and that's a save from Parasite Eve 2. Real cool game and I have yet to complete all extra modes, my save went from PS1 memcard to PS3 HDD then back to a memcard. Losing that would make me mad.