How much is this neo geo pocket monochrome worth?

Hi there everybody

First of all excuse me for my bad english its no my first language.

And now what im here for:
Im from Mexico and I found this Neo Geo Pocket the other day:

bfgjmb.jpg

fmqn4p.jpg

2v9yqok.jpg

unfortunaly the screen is missing :confused: the thing is that seeing the console I realized it was the monocrome version and searching about it in the internet I found that apparenty this console was a japanese exclusive so I didnt know what I found.
I put the 2 batteries and the console seems to work (I hear songs and effects when pushing buttons)

So what do you thing, does this console worth anything? and if so, how much and where can I sell it.
Or is it just junk and i can get rid of it without any regrets?

Thanks a lot :glee:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Maybe $5 or $10 in spare parts. The battery covers are of interest.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
wrong part of the forums. Here's where stuff like this goes.

As to your question, I'd second HMG: not much. Monochrome systems go for way less then the color version, plus this one is scratched up, defective and missing the most important part... so five bucks or less is about right.

P.S.: This forum is a community, not a place for you to leech knowledge. Please contribute more.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
This is pretty much worthless unless you need the battery covers for a system that is missing them.

XD I see, as I thought this console doesnt worth more than junk

I just wantted to be sure before I could change anyhing, because as you say this thing without the screen is only a brick with the SNK letters.
The point is that I couldn't think a better place to ask than here in order to be sure.

Maybe somebody thought the console had a problem with the screen because it only showed white and black colors and took the screen off :D.

Well you know I had the idea that if this thing doesn't worth too much I'll put a raspberry pi inside and make it something useful.

PS.I'm sorry xsq I didn't see that thread and I know, in fact Im here because I want to contribute, I'm an electronic engineer and in the electronic field I guess I can contribute a little, I've worked in the Neo Geo boards and I have two or more projects around already done, for example give any MVS boards a CV output or and SVideo output, stereo sound for all the boards etc and now maybe the modification of this neo geo pocket, In fact I was thinking about get the signals that went to the screen and with a FPGA see the video in a VGA screen or something like that or as I said make another thing with the console.

Thaks for the information :D

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
maybe the modification of this neo geo pocket, In fact I was thinking about get the signals that went to the screen and with a FPGA see the video in a VGA screen or something like that

It's always been my dream to do this, but I don't think I'll have enough time and knowledge anytime soon. If you try it, make sure to do it with a NGPC!

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
XD I see, as I thought this console doesnt worth more than junk

I just wantted to be sure before I could change anyhing, because as you say this thing without the screen is only a brick with the SNK letters.
The point is that I couldn't think a better place to ask than here in order to be sure.

Maybe somebody thought the console had a problem with the screen because it only showed white and black colors and took the screen off :D.

Well you know I had the idea that if this thing doesn't worth too much I'll put a raspberry pi inside and make it something useful.

PS.I'm sorry xsq I didn't see that thread and I know, in fact Im here because I want to contribute, I'm an electronic engineer and in the electronic field I guess I can contribute a little, I've worked in the Neo Geo boards and I have two or more projects around already done, for example give any MVS boards a CV output or and SVideo output, stereo sound for all the boards etc and now maybe the modification of this neo geo pocket, In fact I was thinking about get the signals that went to the screen and with a FPGA see the video in a VGA screen or something like that or as I said make another thing with the console.

Thaks for the information :D

You can always consolize the system, but it requires about $700 in parts.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
XSQ needs a hug or a huge plate of nachoes, which I'll UPS to him. The only way that's worth money is for spare parts. The screen missing is weird, did they mess up a light mod?

Hi DecepticonZero, Vectorman0 and wyndcrosser

Well in fact I’m still thinking about what to do with this thing my first option is to use only the plastic case and the original buttons to control something else like a raspberry pi with a little screen that fit the case so I can play some games on it, something like what the people out there are doing with the original GameBoy in order to run emulators and so.

The other thing is to use the board that in fact seems to work, connect it to some FPGA or microcontroller in order to see the video in other screen, the problem here is that even doing so, I have no games to play on it, but maybe with a little work I can emulate the rom in the same FPGA I’m sure that this can be done but I don’t know much about this console and trying to do so can be a real headache, the worst thing about doing this is that even if I can get the system working and emulating some roms it will only display Black and white so I’m not sure.
But well anyway I don’t thing I’m going to see any other NGP in my life so I got to do something with this one.

About the cost of the parts well, I’m thinking to make it myself with only the bare electronic components, I don’t know if there are boards to do so but any way I rather make it myself in case I find doing so worth the effort.

And maybe that’s the reason of the missing screen, I don’t know exactly, I guess the though the screen has a problem because of the white and black, or maybe they broke the screen and searched for a new one XD but well I guess they couldn’t find a screen replacement in Mexico for a console that was only sold in Japan XD.

Well thanks a lot :D

Last edited:

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
It actually was sold in Mexico! Although as far as I can tell, it was only loose black and white systems and games that were repackaged in bundles and distributed by a third party. I don't have a picture of mine at the moment, but I found a picture of another one:

dscf0141n.jpg

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
The other thing is to use the board that in fact seems to work, connect it to some FPGA or microcontroller in order to see the video in other screen, the problem here is that even doing so, I have no games to play on it, but maybe with a little work I can emulate the rom in the same FPGA
It would be awesome if you found a good way to consolize NGP(C)s! As for games: there are still some very cheap loose (but not that cool) games to be had (like the Pachislot stuff etc) you could use for testing. Or get a flash cart when they become available again (flashmasta.com).

XSQ needs a hug or a huge plate of nachoes, which I'll UPS to him.
PM sent. ;)