How Hard is it to make an orignal msv cart or jamma pcb board?

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Unity is easy to use, has tons of documentation, and there are all kinds of community built bits and pieces you can put together and modify for your needs.

The licensing terms are not as good as UDK on the other hand. Well at least for small timers. UDK just takes a flat percentage off the top of your profit. Unity requires upfront fees IIRC for each platform you want to make it on. And UDK I think lets you use their source code. So I suppose someone could be crazy and attempt to port UDK to something unusual.

But yes, UDK lacks good documentation. UDK has only recently become indie friendly, so most of the indie community is with Unity.

RPG Maker does have a lot of support though. And the latest version allows for deployment to other platforms in addition to Windows. (I also think Corpse Party started in RPG Maker).

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
I'm going to try to start small and work my way up.
thanks for the advice guys :)

A good console to start with would be the Sega Genesis. It uses the same 68000 and Z80 processors as the Neo Geo but it has a much simpler memory bus and graphics architecture. There's a lot of indie development tools (tile/sprite editors, audio editor, basic game engine, etc) for the Genesis as well.

Once you've got something simple up and running on the Genny, see if you can port what you have to the Neo to get your foot in the door there. Emulation is the easiest way to initially test your code, but the UniBIOS has functionality for loading your own code into actual Neo hardware.

kingau

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I'll start playing around with the Sega Genesis and the pc and see what works best for me.
I want the game to look and feel like it came out in the 90's. I'm debating which one I should do? a shooter or beat'em up ?

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
I'll start playing around with the Sega Genesis and the pc and see what works best for me.
I want the game to look and feel like it came out in the 90's. I'm debating which one I should do? a shooter or beat'em up ?

For starting off simple and basic, I'd suggest the shooter. A basic shooter is easier to implement since at it can be just scooting sprites around a flat X and Y Cartesian plane. Even simple Beat'em ups typically are a little more complex with added Z perspective (enemies being "in front of" and "behind" the player character).

That said-what matters most is what YOU are the most enthusiastic about creating.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Do you have any sort of programming background? Anything with game development? If not, you will want to start VERY basic. As in, Hello World, simplistic demos, Pong, that sort of thing. You must crawl before you can walk.

If you have done games before, be warned that the number 1 most difficult part is actually the creative and decision making aspects. Unless you have a very concrete idea of how you want your game to work, you're gonna have a tough time. What I refer to is mind numbing things that everybody takes for granted, like jumping physics, collision detection, size of playfield and objects, scrolling, layout of data within ROM, scoring, hitboxes, damage ratios and everything else.