How far are you from SELLING your collection?

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I don't think I'll ever sell anything from BITD until I'm old enough to not give a shit about this stuff anymore. As mentioned elsewhere on here, I plan to get rid of most of my N64 collection. I was heavily into the N64 during its heyday, but I had a copier to play the games, now I have an Everdrive that's far more convenient so there's no reason I can't use that. Most of what I would consider true collecting is for systems with small libraries like the Virtual Boy, 32X, Vectrex and Lynx. Otherwise I'm an Everdrive/flash cart man for cart based systems and only buy CD games of stuff I actually play. After my MVS sell off years ago I've mainly only bought back stuff I like, anything that doesn't get play will be sold off. The next sell off may be the 32X collection, as I'll never complete it so there's no point having crap like Star Trek Academy taking up space.

Rom supporter? Ban Plz.
This is not gamefaqs

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
My biggest fight is space, eventually you just run out. I'm trying to get in the mentality of selling anything I don't really want to play, like many others have said it is easy just to cast it aside and let it sit. I did pull 20-30 Gamecube games the other day which is a start. Plan to doing some Spring cleaning in the coming weeks. The good news is I almost own every game I think I'll ever want to play, just trying to finish up grabbing the final Genesis/NES/Saturn games I want to play. Most of want I own I bought before the price explosion so prices are not a big motivator for me, if I like the game I'm going to keep it regardless of worth. Too bad I got into the Saturn library late, the 40 or so games I have on my list are not cheap.

I do not own any Everdrives but I plan on buying one for the PC Engine. I got one 4-5 years ago and have a decent library but neglected it focusing on SNES then Neo Geo at the time. Not sure if I want to go physical copies on that one since I missed the boat on many of the good games. May just grab a couple CD games and call it a day

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Here's a good example. Prehistoric Isle 1930, I love the game, everytime I play it I get transported to that time I played it for the first time and in turn I start reminiscing of the old days and how great it plays and how it's such an avant-garde type of game, it's a cheapie, I don't consider it a collector's prize nor none of that crap, so if I enjoy it so much but haven't played it in a year, should I let it go? Should I keep just 20 games and rotate as I play them, selling and buying and being perpetually attached to a fluctuating market? I just don't see that as a wise option. I rather keep it, it's not like people are looking for it and it's not really hurting me keeping it.

I've never consider myself a collector, I don't just get something 'cause is well rated or because is desirable, I just get something 'cause I have a genuine interest in it, I want to play it, I want to learn it and ideally I want to master it, commit, all that stuff, solely for my personal growth as a player, to hone more skills, to learn something new, to get that thrill of a new stage, a new level, a new wall, the challenge, all that stuff. I understand not all people feel the same way, some people just buy because it's rare, or because the chase of an obscure game thrills them, some even buy because it's a brand thing, or a certain developer, we all have our reasons and we all don't have to agree with one another as to why we do what we do, nor seek approval for our choices. It's your life, it's your money, it's your time and it's your damn game, you can toss it out the window, I've done that before...

Just m y 2 cents on the matter.

I really just have games I play or have intentions on playing. I've been guilty in the past of buying desirable shit just to sit on the shelf but ended up selling most of it off like rpg's, puzzle games, certain shtmups. My favorite genre as a kid and till this day are action games. Beat'm Ups, Side Scrolling Platformer's, Fighting, Open World shit like God of War, those are the games that I have a ton of fun with.

That being said I fear the games I intend on playing will never get played, not because of time but because I think little by little I'm losing interest. I rather play a game I've beat a bunch of times like PCE Dracula X, Castlevania Bloodlines, SOR2, Punch Out, Thunder Force 3 over something I never played like Super Metroid, GunLord, Gunstar Heroes, Elevator Action Returns, Sunset Riders, etc. I've heard nothing but good things about some of these games but It's like whatever I enjoyed in the past just stuck with me and I just don't want to bother with anything new. I don't want to get rid of these games because I might regret it like I have in the past so I hold on to them hoping that someday I'll feel like giving them a run. It's so sad.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I really just have games I play or have intentions on playing. I've been guilty in the past of buying desirable shit just to sit on the shelf but ended up selling most of it off like rpg's, puzzle games, certain shtmups. My favorite genre as a kid and till this day are action games. Beat'm Ups, Side Scrolling Platformer's, Fighting, Open World shit like God of War, those are the games that I have a ton of fun with.

That being said I fear the games I intend on playing will never get played, not because of time but because I think little by little I'm losing interest. I rather play a game I've beat a bunch of times like PCE Dracula X, Castlevania Bloodlines, SOR2, Punch Out, Thunder Force 3 over something I never played like Super Metroid, GunLord, Gunstar Heroes, Elevator Action Returns, Sunset Riders, etc. I've heard nothing but good things about some of these games but It's like whatever I enjoyed in the past just stuck with me and I just don't want to bother with anything new. I don't want to get rid of these games because I might regret it like I have in the past so I hold on to them hoping that someday I'll feel like giving them a run. It's so sad.

RAZO,

I wouldn't look at it as being sad but rather your interests may be changing. Things like this happen and I look at it as life. Some games are classics like Gunstar Heroes, Dracula X. These games will always find a place and time to be played. Maybe just keep those games that you still find fun. After all, isn't that what it's all about?

Just my two cents.

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
I will always need a hobby where I can tinker with my hands, most of my enjoyment with the arcade hobby came from buying project cabs and restoring them, thats now transitioned into working on cars.

Same story over here...I like playing them but I've had even more fun tinkering with the monitors and cabs themselves... Get ready for horrid car restoration bills, $3.5k for a new suspension this winter makes me not care about the price of the arcade hobby at all...

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Same story over here...I like playing them but I've had even more fun tinkering with the monitors and cabs themselves... Get ready for horrid car restoration bills, $3.5k for a new suspension this winter makes me not care about the price of the arcade hobby at all...

I am also the same. I've had more fun sanding down a rusted CPO and applying a new overlay than playing the cabinet it went in. I mean I have fun playing it now and then but overall I got more satisfaction from fixing it up than anything else.