How do I make Neo games?

Hey yall, so anyways I was just wondering how do I create and make Neo Geo games cause I'm a bit of a programmer and I'm a huge fan of the Neo Geo of course but idk What kinda tools I could find. So here's the thing can you help me out with finding some good tools for Neo Geo Development!

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
lol, I feel like I see this question come up a lot and searched for previous threads and saw you posted in it already awhile back
If you didn't get much from there I doubt you'd get much from a new thread

I have no first hand experience with Neo development, but googling it there's both a pretty damn comprehensive dev wiki and a community devkit for C/C++ coding

Both of those should absolutely be where you start reading, and if none of it is making sense or seems like too much work then I would abort mission now. If you just want to "make a game" then start with something like Godot or GameMaker, don't set yourself up for failure by trying to make a Neo game right off the bat if you've never tried making a game before

If you really want to do retro hardware I wouldn't even start with the Neo, start with something like the Sega Genesis

It'll be simpler for a beginner, there's way more resources on the internet for help and the Neo and Genesis share the same Main CPU so it'd be a better place to start and you can carry the experience over

Good luck!

I just installed ngdevkit on my laptop and it works fine and I hope i create a game on the neo-geo and put it on actual mvs cartridge boards which would be awesome!

geladobom

War Room Troll
Here's some game ideas from MS-DOS and Windows maybe you like to port it.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I just installed ngdevkit on my laptop and it works fine and I hope i create a game on the neo-geo and put it on actual mvs cartridge boards which would be awesome!
It’s only awesome if you put it in a snap lock case with a shit hot cover design. Easiest $500 you’ll ever make.

Tbh if someone has to ask and can't find online documentation and sdks as a developer.. yeah
Well here’s the thing I work as a hobbyist developer some times and I know a little bit of c programming, but i Follow a book on how to develop my Neo Geo games!

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
You'll always get the best results with assembly tbh

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Don't know about you kern but I'm really looking forward to Super Homebrewjank II: The Jankening.

If you want a simple way to make neo games get some dodgy Chinese electronics firm to make you some knock-off AES/MVS pcbs, and then buy a defunct licence to a Visco game nobody cares about anymore and then just shovel that shit out. The Euro'tards will buy that crap up like hobos to crack.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Don't know about you kern but I'm really looking forward to Super Homebrewjank II: The Jankening.

If you want a simple way to make neo games get some dodgy Chinese electronics firm to make you some knock-off AES/MVS pcbs, and then buy a defunct licence to a Visco game nobody cares about anymore and then just shovel that shit out. The Euro'tards will buy that crap up like hobos to crack.
Oi! You're divulging sensitve French corporate ideology!

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Another embarassing post from someone who thinks homebrew is always some $500 mvs cart that takes years to be manufactured by two european guys on a garage.