How bad is the World of Warcraft addiction?

Ken Masters

Another Striker
Hi everybody ,just wanted to ask if anybody or do you know somebody close to you with the WOW addiction?I have a very close friend for many years and he is a gamer like me, probably plays more then me but whatever.I few weeks ago he bought a new PC because his old one was shit.He bought WOW and I was like don't forget about your friends and family because I heard that game is addictive.He answerd back telling me dude what are you talking about?I'm not getting addicted.This is the thing now,I usually hang out with him 2 or 3 times a week.I tried calling him everyday starting about 5 days ago and he doesn't pick up his cell.I called my other friends who are also his friends to call him to see if he pics up.He hasn't picked up his cell or called any of us back.I decided to call his house phone and his mother picks up.I have a nice convo with her asking about if he's ok.His mother tells me that he doesn't really socialize with her much.I tell her that I'm worried about him and if I can speak with him.He just went to sleep at about 9am.She told me that if there is anyway I can help him please try.I ask her to tell him to call me back but nothing.I just called his house phone again because he dosent pick up his cell and nobody pics up.Should I go over there and try and talk to him or just let him be? Sorry this post is so long.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
lol.

Time for an intervention.

Your friend is a bum.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Tell his mother to stop paying for internet access. Better yet, say dialup is okay for web surfing.

Eldios

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Well I am not going to tell you what to do, but it sounds like your friend really needs some help. I use to be very addicted to WoW and let me tell you it is like a drug. You get so addicted to the game that it is all you can think about, and you start making excuses NOT to go out with people so you can stay home and play. I have been "clean" for about 6 months now, but I kid you not when I say at least once a week I have a craving to go back on the WoW sauce. Your friend needs to stop playing and get himself another hobby. After the first week or so, the withdrawals subside. WoW is a drug and should be treated in that respect........but boy it is one damn fine game......

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
Don't worry, people snap out of it eventually. All it takes is them getting bored. Well hope to god he gets bored. If he ends up raiding or something, could get worse. For 4 months I played it for 15-20 hours a day. Once I hit Field Marshal it got boring as hell. So I got less and less interested.

I quit two weeks ago, but I plan on going back after a while. The problem is the game is fun, and you can meet some cool people. I suggest going to his how and seeing what's up.

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
I still don't get why people play MMORPGs. Not only do you have to buy the game, but you pay to play it, too?

That's like buying an arcade machine, but you still have to put quarters in it. It's retarded.

SSS

neo retired
Zenimus said:
That's like buying an arcade machine, but you still have to put quarters in it. It's retarded.

open the coin door and flip the levers down for credits. :)

Maybe not the right analogy.

You don't like xbox live then I take it?

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Zenimus said:
I still don't get why people play MMORPGs. Not only do you have to buy the game, but you pay to play it, too?

its for server quality, and a few other perks. Granted I could spend at $150+ I spend a year playing WoW on other things (like other video games), but I enjoy it. Granted I only play because my entire guild is made of friends, but it is fun. Very addictive though.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
cold turkey, that is the only way to quit...

MMO's feed off basic human drives....

Circa2113

Duck King's DJ
10 Year Member
My cousin is addicted to WoW to a ridiculous degree.

At least, I guess he still is, haven't seen him in months.

Hmmm....

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
Wait a minute here. He bought the game a few weeks ago you said? Is this an addiction we're talking about here or just a guy who is playing a game a lot for a couple of weeks? I holed myself up for a few months here and there with certain games, WoW included, and I moved on eventually. I quit when it wasn't fun or when it interfered with dating women. I think it's kind of weird to hang out with someone 3 times per week actually unless you live next door or something. Wait a little longer before you panic.

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
SamuraiShodownSensei said:
open the coin door and flip the levers down for credits. :)

Maybe not the right analogy.

You don't like xbox live then I take it?

No, I meant that nobody would want to buy an arcade machine if they still had to put quarters in it to play (quarters that magically disappear, I guess :D ). That's the same way I feel about MMORPGs and other Pay-To-Play games.

I've got nothing against Xbox Live. Of course it would be nice if it were free, but that's more of an organized service for many games. If you had to have a separate Xbox Live subscription for each individual game, then I'd have some issues with it.

That's why I don't like the idea of buying a single game and being charged continuous fee to play it. Give me one or the other, but not both.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
dmhawkmoon said:
Wait a minute here. He bought the game a few weeks ago you said? Is this an addiction we're talking about here or just a guy who is playing a game a lot for a couple of weeks? I holed myself up for a few months here and there with certain games, WoW included, and I moved on eventually. I quit when it wasn't fun or when it interfered with dating women. I think it's kind of weird to hang out with someone 3 times per week actually unless you live next door or something. Wait a little longer before you panic.

Loser denial.

Ive never seen it out in the wild like this before.

Ken Masters

Another Striker
I seen some of these WOW addiction videos players made on youtube and let me tell you this is insane.Not all of them were bad,some of them were about quitting.I saw one about a reporter from some news coming over to interview the kid and his mom.The 16 year old boy dropped out of Highschool and hardly takes a bath and only eats fast food or something like that.I know about the asian kid that died a while ago but was it really because of this game?I know of a few other friends that play WOW also but they have control,maybe because they are married and/or have kids and/or have a job?

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
Once he see's how utterly pointless and boring the endgame is, he'll stop.

So give it another month.

Medaka

King of the Salsa Sharks, ,
Are you really that dumb.
Mind your own business.
Duh, no shit of course hes playing it.
Anyone with half a brain knows that when
you get a new game, your going to be playing it
non stop, unless the game sucks.

It quickly wears off though.
Especially now that the Expansion is horrible.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
lol you can meet some really cool people on there

ha ha ha

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I remember being super addicted to Everquest. After playing for hours and hours one time, I finally got off then asked myself "what have I been doing this whole time"? The sad thing is: I've got fond memories of that game. Sad. :annoyed: Like seriously loving memories of beind in the aquaducts fighting rats and shit. Again, sad. Why spend hundreds of hours on a virtual self when you can do something for your REAL self in the same time wasted? Learn a language or something, for god's sake. How's that look on a resume? I'm a level 61 wizard? Whoopdie do!