house broken into, neo collection untouched.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
How does it works with collection of videogames? What value can be set on them? I dont think the insurance company is going to take in account the Neogeo Rarity List......

Any big tymer here can reply with how it works for them?

As a former insurance agent I can tell you it's generally based on "replacement value" not original purchase price. So yes, price guides and complete eBay listings would be valid methods of gauging insurance reimbursement. So use the NGK guide and go from there ;)

SuperMegaUltra

Geese's Thug
I'm sorry to read someone broke into your home and stole some of your more modern video games, pmoniez; but, I'm glad you still have all your SNK Neo•Geo cartridges. :)

novabomb

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
That sucks, sorry to hear man. Glad you still have your neo collection. I can't imagine how you must feel right now, anyways all the best.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Damn that sucks to hear you were robbed like that.At least the neo-geo was left alone,with modern games&consoles there easier to replace.

statix138

Crossed Swords Squire
That really sucks dude. Years ago when I used to travel for work someone broke into my work vehicle and stole my stupid Nintendo Wii but didn't bother touching a $10k fusion splicer sitting right next to it. I hope those idiots get hit by a bus.

Last edited:

pmoniez

n00b
Hi guys I thought I would give an update. We received our insurance settlement and are very pleased. They replaced our stolen Wii with a Wii u premium and our 3ds with a new 3ds xl. All other consoles have been replaced and we have a cash payout for everything else. The whole experience gave us a kick up the ass to buy our own house that we can secure how we like.
paying for decent insurance was definitely a wise move and I strongly recommend it to anyone with an expensive gaming collection. Thank you to everyone for the kind words.

statix138

Crossed Swords Squire
Hi guys I thought I would give an update. We received our insurance settlement and are very pleased. They replaced our stolen Wii with a Wii u premium and our 3ds with a new 3ds xl. All other consoles have been replaced and we have a cash payout for everything else. The whole experience gave us a kick up the ass to buy our own house that we can secure how we like.
paying for decent insurance was definitely a wise move and I strongly recommend it to anyone with an expensive gaming collection. Thank you to everyone for the kind words.

Great to hear everything worked out for you. Nice little upgrade on the Wii U; enjoy!

ThGame

Geese's Thug

Good news man. Another reason those giant neo carts serve a purpose. If the thieves dont know what they are why lug around 100 vhs sized video games lol. Glad insurance coughed up, from what i hear you'll be happy with your new 3ds

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
Yeah, I talked to my agent specifically about how to insure stuff like my old games and he said they couldn't do it under a rider for something like you do for jewelry but it would be under my homeowners. To make sure everything was solid though, he asked me to send photos and lists detailing what I owned in case of a fire/burglery/meteor/whatever.

Rori

Crazed MVS Addict
That sucks aye, but the bright side is that yes, he didn't touch your Neo Collection. All that recent console stuff can easily be replaced, but the work of replacing a Neo collection sounds like much more of a hassle to procure again ;)

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Sorry to hear that, people will do anything not to earn a honest living.

Fucking hell I really need to get my collection insured...

Mephisto

Banned
They didn't know what they was
/thread

Burglars just go for the obvious, they want to be in and then out quickly preferably with cash /jewellery and easy to sell (liquid) items that are not too heavy.

I'm from the UK and im not sure calling the police would be helpful though because what if one of the police grazes their knee or accidently trips over something:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ner-tripping-kerb-investigating-break-in.html

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
writes "/thread", then continues thread.

Spoiler:

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Sorry for what happened to you. I never had anything stolen from me but i imagine it feels awful. At least the insurance came though pretty nicely.

sam-k

n00b
Been moving upstairs the last few days, now I'm paranoid about all my stuff still downstairs! I better get on that today, lol

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Been moving upstairs the last few days, now I'm paranoid about all my stuff still downstairs! I better get on that today, lol

I'm sure mom will be happy to keep an eye on it for you.

KalessinDB

Mr. Big's Thug
I had a breakin about a year and a half ago, same thing happened: Grabbed the 360, ps3, DS, and my shitty little chromebook laptop, left the pile of everdrives, the 100's of NES carts, all the retro systems. I counted myself lucky, though I certainly didn't find it a "profitable" experience. My insurance is decent enough, but I have a $1k deductible so yeah.

Mainly though: They didn't take anything that was hard to replace (hardest was the CFW ps3, which I had a coworker who had one she hadn't turned on in over a year and a half so I could CFW that right up), I wasn't home at the time so they didn't try to hurt me, and my cat didn't run away through the broken window (which is the most important part in my eyes). So yeah, got away pretty lucky in my eyes.

Lesson learned: One bush that was blocking my neighbors from seeing my back yard, trimmed up. Motion detecting lights, installed in the back yard. Patio furniture, put away when not in use now. And alarm system purchased and well-signed. Never had a problem since.

DarkRider

n00b
Reading this thread is just making me think I need to go through and inventory and photograph all of my games. Any one know a good program to inventory a personal collection or am I best just starting a google doc?

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Reading this thread is just making me think I need to go through and inventory and photograph all of my games. Any one know a good program to inventory a personal collection or am I best just starting a google doc?

I do two things.
1. I use vgcollect to track what is actually in my collection. Its not perfect but good enough. You can then export your collection to a file if you want.
2. Take pictures of everything I get in.

So for insurance purposes, you just need a list of what you have and pictures proving you have/had them. It is the easiest way I have found. And there are other websites for video games besides vgcollect, it is just the one I use. And there are also websites to track other things you collect like toys, cards, records, etc. Most of them have privacy settings so you can keep what you own private if you are worried about who knows what you have.

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper

I'm right there with Ya.
Though I have hundreds if not thousands of Warhammer miniatures I need to just unload. That's on top of nearly 1,000 video games. Talk about tedious inventory man. damn.
If be really surprised if a burglar knew what that shit was though.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
A quick note to the low life muggerscum who decided to break into my house today. Fuck you, you decided to take a whole lot of modern consoles but left all my neo games on their shelves. You trashed my house yet came away with a few hundred dollars worth of shite. Please get cancer. Has this happened to anyone else?
Modern consoles are easy to replace. They probably didn't even know what the Neo Geo was. And they have to trash the place, even though that's not necessary.