Hot takes

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Here's my hot take:

Neo Turf Masters is overrated to hell and back

Yes, it looks nice. Yes, it has great music and sound effects. The main problem I have with it is the hand-holding difficulty level. I realize not everyone likes a decent challenge in a golf game, but NTM always makes me feel like a child. It's practically idiot-proof and makes it way too easy to hit par or get birdies. Maybe people like playing My First Golf Game? It's not my thing.

The other huge glaring issue is the announcer, she is fucking nails on a chalkboard irritating. "ON THE GWEEEEEN!" is probably the worst voice clip, but for fucks sakes you hear it at least 18 times during a full round of NTM.

I actually do like Top Player's Golf more. Yes, it's not as showy or fast paced, but it doesn't hold my hand and the announcer is pleasant to listen to. Even the optional caddie is great. The FM music is also absolutely fantastic in TPG, one of the few Neo Geo games that heavily uses FM sound. That is a criminally underrated game that is unjustly disliked.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Music is shit - game looks ok - voice is ass

But TPG being better? Not feeding your troll ass. I guess ill actually play it though to hear the sounds.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
This thread needs good ol' "everybody in this thread loves th3 cawk except me".

Just said it :D

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
NTM is cute and fun. Anyone who thinks the music sucks is a fucking retard. Also OP is fucking racist.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Twinkle star sprites is way more overrated than neo turf masters. So is windjammers. I tried to like tss but it's shit to me.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Twinkle star sprites is way more overrated than neo turf masters. So is windjammers. I tried to like tss but it's shit to me.
It (like Windjammers) is only good as a 2 player game. Good for meat-ups but that's about it. If they weren't Neo games they'd be forgotten in the bargain bin.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Long term: good game = bargain bin. Short term: bad game = bargain bin.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Maybe I'm alone but I really like the Super Sidekicks series. The first entry is old school and can still be fun to play with a buddy but 2, 3 and Neo Geo Cup '98 are all really good. Haven't played enough of Ultimate 11 to make a fair judgement.

On a side note, I've never played any of the Captain Tsubasa games on SFC. I believe there are several entries on that platform, any recommendation for which one to start with Wasabi?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Maybe I'm alone but I really like the Super Sidekicks series. The first entry is old school and can still be fun to play with a buddy but 2, 3 and Neo Geo Cup '98 are all really good. Haven't played enough of Ultimate 11 to make a fair judgement.

On a side note, I've never played any of the Captain Tsubasa games on SFC. I believe there are several entries on that platform, any recommendation for which one to start with Wasabi?

I haven't played them since 1995 so I don't remember.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I like KOF 97 and 99 more than KOF 98, the golden child.

The original 02 release on the Neo was also hideous, sounded awful, and had a poor roster.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Neo Turfmasters may not be perfect, but it's consistently a top-rated game for the console. It seems to very often make players' top 5. When I think of how many times I've fired the game up, it's hard to discount how good of a golf game it is.

I don't get the comment about hand-holding. The challenge ramps up considerably as the courses progress. The fact that it's very pick-up-and-play is to the game's credit.

Last edited: