Homecart label bumps

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Has anyone ever noticed how some AES carts have little hard bumps underneath the label on the spine? I've found them on carts from 94, 96, 97, 98. All legit of course.

What could they be? This is a serious thread btw.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Has anyone ever noticed how some AES carts have little hard bumps underneath the label on the spine? I've found them on carts from 94, 96, 97, 98. All legit of course.

I'm guessing that it might have to do with the manufacture of those shells. Maybe it was intended? Are the bumps uniform on each cart or different?

xorthen

Banned
Sounds like dirt was under the cart where the label is placed. Pretty common on relabels or people who removed their labels and put on new ones. I have never seen it on neo carts though. Only SNES repro labels.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Homecart shells are not perfectly crisp, clean and free of jagged plastic along the edges like most cartridge shells. It's not uncommon for the two halves of the shell to not perfectly match each-other where the label goes.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

Probably imperfections in the plastic. Peel off the label and have a look ;)

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I always wrote them off as imperfections. Every new cart I've ever owned had a quirk about it. Weird bumps, Japanese labels hidden underneath English labels, knots in the clear plastic cover.. etc... etc..

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Homecart Herpes. Do you use protection when you insert?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I had it all. Even the AES carts with tiny bubbles and imperfections, proof that they were crafted by the honest, hard-working, indigenous peoples of...

- Please hold.

- ...wherever.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

Sell them.

LIVE LIFE!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
SNK's quality control certainly wasn't the best, there are plenty of imperfections in both carts and printing of the manuals and inserts.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Bed bugs.

They are eating your carts from the inside out.

Get that sh!t fumigated.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Clearly those here who have carts haven't felt the labels enough.

Ok, if these are "imperfections" (these bumps aren't plastic from the carts btw) then what could they be made out of?

Probably imperfections in the plastic. Peel off the label and have a look ;)

I just might.

Last edited:

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
I've never noticed this, but it could be contaminants that got stuck to the sticker before being applied.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Ok, if these are "imperfections" (these bumps aren't plastic from the carts btw) then what could they be made out of?

It sure it is plastic after all. Maybe the molding process wasn't always perfect and instead of a plain surface it you got one that comprised some unevenness/coarseness, wich now makes itself visible through such bumps within a sticker's surface?

The other possibility is, that they are thin plastic particles, namely ones that broke from the edges of a fresh manufactured/assembled cart-shell and, through friction, became attached to the plain surface underneath the sticker or got pulled under the sticker, when it was electrically charged. The latter happens immediately after releasing a sticker from the paper that is holding it.

Check out some edges of Japanese Mega Drive boxes, (especially those from Taito) they often carry some thin plastic straws, that break up by themselves, leaving no visible traces. Something like that could got under an AES sticker, too.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
neo-geo.com: Where imperfections under homecart labels are investigated and scrutinized.

#HardHittingInvestigation

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Perhaps an x-ray or ultrasound could provide important data?

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
It sure it is plastic after all. Maybe the molding process wasn't always perfect and instead of a plain surface it you got one that comprised some unevenness/coarseness, wich now makes itself visible through such bumps within a sticker's surface?

The other possibility is, that they are thin plastic particles, namely ones that broke from the edges of a fresh manufactured/assembled cart-shell and, through friction, became attached to the plain surface underneath the sticker or got pulled under the sticker, when it was electrically charged. The latter happens immediately after releasing a sticker from the paper that is holding it.

Whatever the origin, I may be one of the very few who have carts with these imperfections.

Since, so little is known, I'm proclaiming these defects rare and desirable from here on.

Last edited:

EllertMichael

Mickey's Coach
Just don't send them out to get scrutinized or you may receive perfectly smooth labels in return! :keke:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I think I have a Samurai Shodown homecart with Shinkiro's ejaculate on it. How much do you think it's worth?