Home....

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
Got to see and laugh at some of the touristy shit (for example: Gold & Silver Pawn is a hole-in-the-wall and none of the guys really work there anymore except to film episodes)

jNHIZsp.jpg

Sure they have those little mist sprinkler things, but that pic was taken in the middle of August, it was 115F the whole time I was there. No shade or anything, those people waiting in line to go in a PAWN SHOP are fucking retarded. :lolz:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
jNHIZsp.jpg

Sure they have those little mist sprinkler things, but that pic was taken in the middle of August, it was 115F the whole time I was there. No shade or anything, those people waiting in line to go in a PAWN SHOP are fucking retarded. :lolz:

Lol, there's no way I would have waited in line.. wtf? I guess the guys must have actually been there that day...

When I went it was slightly busy, but not crazy. I didn't recognize any of the employees there that day. And the place is fucking small and mostly just a gift shop now, it has racks full of t-shirts and keychains and other stupid shit out the ass. I left after 5 minutes.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
When I was very young, we lived in Phoenix, Arizona. In 1985 (I was 8 at the time), we relocated to Illinois. Why in gods name my parents decided to do this is beyond me. I've always hated it here...fucking miserable weather and now, even more miserable politics.

I love a desert climate...I really do. I don't mind heat, I fucking despise cold temps and loathe snow even worse. Winter is just one long pissed off for me, it always has been.

I'm looking for that push to get me out of here, but at the moment, my wife and I make good money so it won't happen as long as this train runs on the tracks.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Good thing about Phoenix is now it finally has a downtown where you can go and do things and with the light rail running until 3 am on the weekends, club and bar hopping is easier than ever.

Course you still have to get past those nice little 115 degree days and nights that don't get below 90 but you have to take the bad with the good ;)

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
PS. LoneWilly pal... if you say Japan... I am going to kick you in the balls... (even tho I sorta like you:D)

lol fuck Japan. Way too uptight for my liking.

Anyway yeah my answer is China. I've lived in this small urban area outside the city center for three and a half years now. Everyone here knows me as The Foreigner or Foreign Teacher. It's great. Unfortunately it seems like I'll be moving to Gayjing this summer so there goes all the connections and relationships I've made.

Rot serious question, are your parents still around? Ever thought of going to Vietnam, visit their old village or something?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Good thing about Phoenix is now it finally has a downtown where you can go and do things and with the light rail running until 3 am on the weekends, club and bar hopping is easier than ever.

Course you still have to get past those nice little 115 degree days and nights that don't get below 90 but you have to take the bad with the good ;)

I was trying to explain this to my wife and I'm pretty sure she still doesn't get it.

Most places in the US, you'll land up "hiding" at one time or another. In Illinois, that is Nov-Feb for to the really nasty weather, March/April for the cold/wet shit. You may get May-Sept give or take. Oct is a grab bag and can completely vary between really nice and complete shit. Really, around here...the only safe bet is June, July, August and September. The rest of the year is either guaranteed to be miserable, or has a good chance to be horrible.

A good example is what were going through now...it has literally rained the entire month of June. Were sitting at 12" of rain so far this month and it shows no sign of stopping. The 7 day forecast is calling for 6 out of 7 days with rain. It's miserable...

I keep telling my wife and you hid during the hottest part of the year in the desert, the rest of the year is rather nice. I think that because she associates the summer with the only nice time of year that she feels it would be ruined living in a hot place.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Island of Alameda.

I'd still live there if it wasn't outrageously expensive.
Great weather, beach within a 20 minute walk, tight community, and half an hour drive to San Francisco for visiting.

I understand it's gotten a little worse there, though, as Oakland continues to grow into it like a crime and drug ridden cancer.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Born in Minneapolis Minnesota in '78 but don't remember it. Was moved to San Antonio Texas 3 minutes from Lackland AFB when I was 11 months old and never moved away. However, by the time I was 16 years of age and I got my license I began to travel around the state a lot. Eventually I would go into Mexico (despite not speaking much Spanish, save but to order food, find a restroom or get my knob polished), Chicago, New York State, parts of Pennsylvania, Ohio (Cleveland, Niles, Youngstown, Windham, Ravana, Kent, Akron, Columbus) < where most of the family clan is at. Outside of going into several parts of Mexico I have never left CONUS though. Been wanting to visit Australia and New Zealand for about a decade, Japan and a few other places and might still one day, but it's not really a priority and if I never do, it's not a big deal. In the places I have been and the things done, and the people met (or fucked at one point or another), I can say that... same shit, different place.

I've come to the realization that outside of Tourist places, and getting to delve into the customs of a different place, there's almost no point in traveling around much. Any city/town you go to is the same shit. Endless strip malls (and remnants of indoor 1960s/1970s malls) litter the landscape, anywhere you go where you're not from, YOU'RE the one with time on your hands, and everyone else is stuck in their daily routines, which mirror your own where you are from. I'm still sad that as an Air Force Brat I never got to travel the way others did. Dad was pushing troops for 3706 BMT out of Lackland and he wasn't leaving, until he retired in 1985. ---I WILL SAY THIS THOUGH--- from the places I've been, I honestly can't see myself ever living anywhere But Goddamned TEXAS.

*HOME TO ME is San Antonio / Austin Texas. It's two different worlds spread apart by only an hour and 20 minutes of driving. Both have more or less everything I need to be happy, and if I want to go to the coast, there's South Padre Island and/or Corpus Christi/Port Aransas too. Most people here are friendly, price of living is cheap as hell in SATX, though you have to deal with the trash of society here like anywhere else... and when you're in full on party mode where anything goes... AUSTIN TEXAS! I don't intend to ever stop traveling, but for now it's not big on my list. I'm sticking around SATX though as for home and my parents are giving me the house I grew up in, fully paid at that, sometime in the next 5 to 6 years. That's a blessing for me. Strange that I couldn't wait to leave the old neighborhood growing up and at age 37, there's no place I feel more at home at, more "relaxed". On The 10 Year Plan will be a trip to Australia/New Zealand and maybe Japan. But that's gonna' happen only AFTER I get married to the love of my life, and I had said after my divorce I'd never marry again. Well I plan to. Honeymoon prolly be to Aussie Land or Bonaire as Hawaii is so cliche'

outlaw_moon

Marked Wolf
Like OP, I have moved around plenty but for the past 15 years I have called Columbus, Ohio "home". My spiritual home has got to be Ski, Norway. A little town right outside Oslo. Even though I only lived there couple of months. Just something about the nature over there. Man I miss it.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
We moved around a bunch when I was growing up, so I don't feel particularly attached to any part of the world. I'm not a "wanderer" or "nomad" by any stretch.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Rot serious question, are your parents still around? Ever thought of going to Vietnam, visit their old village or something?

Hi LoneWilly pal...

OK OK... My parents are alive and well.. I live about 15 minutes away from them:)

ANYWAY... Everytime my parents mention me going back to Vietnam... it's to marry some distant relative or Village girl...

My parents are sorta traditional... IRONICALLY... she spoke to me about it on Sunday when I was driving her around...

She said I should marry... give her Grandkids... and she compromised that the girl could be any Oriental origin... Japanese... Chinese... etc etc.. (Which is an AWESOME climbdown for her:D)

LOOK... i've been with my Jan for 13 years... but she's white... older than me and has 3 grown kids... even after 13 years... my mom doesn't approve of my choice... meh... she's a Obstinate woman...

xROTx

PS. I LOVE my parents to bits... but they be sorta set in their ways:D

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Where I live now is definately home. I can barely go a few days traveling without missing being at home. My family tries to get me out of the house because I'm such a homebody.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Hi LoneWilly pal...

OK OK... My parents are alive and well.. I live about 15 minutes away from them:)

ANYWAY... Everytime my parents mention me going back to Vietnam... it's to marry some distant relative or Village girl...

My parents are sorta traditional... IRONICALLY... she spoke to me about it on Sunday when I was driving her around...

She said I should marry... give her Grandkids... and she compromised that the girl could be any Oriental origin... Japanese... Chinese... etc etc.. (Which is an AWESOME climbdown for her:D)

LOOK... i've been with my Jan for 13 years... but she's white... older than me and has 3 grown kids... even after 13 years... my mom doesn't approve of my choice... meh... she's a Obstinate woman...

xROTx

PS. I LOVE my parents to bits... but they be sorta set in their ways:D

hmmm, well it's not surprising, their way of thinking. good on you for standing your ground and by jan.

regardless i think it'd be good for you and your folks to go back to their old home. it really is a beautiful country. cheers

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Born and raised in HI (Maui). It's still where my heart is, and I always love going back...too bad it's expensive as fuck to live there.

I'm happy living here in OR, but if I could afford it, I'd totally take my fam back to HI.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Born and raised in HI (Maui). It's still where my heart is, and I always love going back...too bad it's expensive as fuck to live there.

I'm happy living here in OR, but if I could afford it, I'd totally take my fam back to HI.

It's amazing that any "common" people actually live in Hawaii...the cost of living is just bat crap crazy. I just cannot see how you can have a regular job and afford the day to day cost of living...

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
It's amazing that any "common" people actually live in Hawaii...the cost of living is just bat crap crazy. I just cannot see how you can have a regular job and afford the day to day cost of living...

...and a crystal meth habit.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Great Valley, NY or pretty much anywhere in Cattaraugus county. My dream is to some day get some property out there, have a broken down schoolbus in my yard and blast heavy metal music while getting drunk. Also would need a riding mower and a 4x4 with maybe a lift kit for winter times and the roads that aren't paved.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Great Valley, NY or pretty much anywhere in Cattaraugus county. My dream is to some day get some property out there, have a broken down schoolbus in my yard and blast heavy metal music while getting drunk. Also would need a riding mower and a 4x4 with maybe a lift kit for winter times and the roads that aren't paved.

Not necessarily in Illinois...but it is also my dream to have a compound. 100% self sufficient with a quality wind generator, on site gen-set, in ground diesel tank. Indoor/outdoor shooting range, indoor pool, small arcade, home theater, an original H1 Hummer to get through any shit mother nature will throw at me...one can dream...

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Not necessarily in Illinois...but it is also my dream to have a compound. 100% self sufficient with a quality wind generator, on site gen-set, in ground diesel tank. Indoor/outdoor shooting range, indoor pool, small arcade, home theater, an original H1 Hummer to get through any shit mother nature will throw at me...one can dream...

That self-sufficient thing tho... it sounds great but in reality seems really tough to pull off. I read stories all the time about how cities or towns crack down on people trying to use solar or whatever without sending some power back into the grid. Shooting rage is a no brainer. Out where I mentioned (I spent a lot of time out there since I was a kid) you can just go in your backyard and shoot whatever you want. Just be 500 feet from the road and you're set.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

How about a racing mower?

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
When I was very young, we lived in Phoenix, Arizona. In 1985 (I was 8 at the time), we relocated to Illinois. Why in gods name my parents decided to do this is beyond me. I've always hated it here...fucking miserable weather and now, even more miserable politics.

I love a desert climate...I really do. I don't mind heat, I fucking despise cold temps and loathe snow even worse. Winter is just one long pissed off for me, it always has been.

I'm looking for that push to get me out of here, but at the moment, my wife and I make good money so it won't happen as long as this train runs on the tracks.

My wife and I play the if we could move anywhere where would you want to go? The desert is completely out of the question for me. I have to have water around me to feel comfortable. Personally it's a hard question to answer cause you go furthur south and the weather gets dangerous. Go north and the winters are miserable.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
England will always be home to me, specifically Leeds / Yorkshire. I like the Florida weather but there is no sense of community in Tampa. This is evident when I go to a sporting event and a significant minority of the people are cheering for the other team. Most of the people in my neighborhood are from somewhere else. Honestly, apart from my wife, I have not made any close friends since I came to America 15 years ago. A lot of that is my fault but it really is very different here and it will never be "home".