Home theater replacement or keep?

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
For the last few years, I've been using an Onkyo TX-SR605 setup for my home theater. Since we've moved our new home, it has been packed up and I've finally gotten around to setting it up. Now I can't stand wiring for AV systems and was wondering if there was a wireless solution that works well (wireless speaker unit,etc), should I sell off and get a soundbar system, or should I just stick with the current setup?

The other option I was considering is keeping the receiver for music only (with 2 channel speakers and subwoofer) and getting rid of the other speakers.

Again, I've been away from A/V tech and would appreciate any advice on the matter.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Try asking Master Tasu.....

.....oh wait, actually, maybe not

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Wireless? Still not a very good solution for that.

I'l give you my point of view...so take it for what its worth. Take in mind I was a big time A/V nut back when and had quite the extensive system...

I landed up with a Yamaha YSP-3000 sound bar and when mated to a sub, it actually made for a pretty good combo. It is not even close to what I had...but it is seriously easy to install and use...and easy = something I'll actually put to good use.

My only beef would be the retail price of the thing (which is no long since discontinued...they make much different units now). I got mine on clearance for a song, that's the only reason why I got the thing.

Long story short...when it comes to a real HT system, I say go big or go home. Half ass'ing a HT setup yet going through the trouble of wiring the damn thing seems pointless to me. I'd say get a good soundbar and be done with it.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Is the room suitable for a HT and you just don't want to hide wires, or is it really not conducive to an HT at all?
If the latter, like said a decent soundbar and a nice sub will do wonders. I have this setup now (much more open area for watching movies , not a dedicated room) and it's plenty fine.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
wireless is still not great. Wireless means battery powered, and that's more of a hassle.

Soundbars are fine if you are lazy, and you don't have a large space to fill with sound. The quality can vary pretty substantially, so don't go to Best Buy and just get whatever is on sale.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I have this setup now (much more open area for watching movies , not a dedicated room) and it's plenty fine.

I think this hits the nail on the head..."fine" is a god description. "Fine" = easy to use and install = something most will use regularly
Soundbars are fine if you are lazy, and you don't have a large space to fill with sound. The quality can vary pretty substantially, so don't go to Best Buy and just get whatever is on sale.

I disagree.

Most small systems are shit...I would consider any receiver under $2K to be shit.

In my world...home audio basically comes in three flavors:

1.) Total shit- nearly all TV speakers
2.) Usable- this is the soundbar category. it is cheap and easy to install. Fucking with surround wiring and then plopping some shitty $600 receiver in you setup is pissing up a rope.
3.) Quality- First off, there is a great divide between Usable and Quality. Like I said...I'd say a good $7500 or so budget will net you a $3000 receiver, $2500 for 5 proper matching smaller speakers and $2000 for a quality subwoofer. it would be entry level hi-fi...but I would consider this to be "worth my while" when it comes to taking to time to actually install a wired system.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I think this hits the nail on the head..."fine" is a god description. "Fine" = easy to use and install = something most will use regularly

I disagree.

Most small systems are shit...I would consider any receiver under $2K to be shit.

In my world...home audio basically comes in three flavors:

1.) Total shit- nearly all TV speakers
2.) Usable- this is the soundbar category. it is cheap and easy to install. Fucking with surround wiring and then plopping some shitty $600 receiver in you setup is pissing up a rope.
3.) Quality- First off, there is a great divide between Usable and Quality. Like I said...I'd say a good $7500 or so budget will net you a $3000 receiver, $2500 for 5 proper matching smaller speakers and $2000 for a quality subwoofer. it would be entry level hi-fi...but I would consider this to be "worth my while" when it comes to taking to time to actually install a wired system.

For example, Dood in an apartment shouldn't spend $2k on any system. It's gonna sound terrible regardless.
That's where a soundbar is just fine.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
For example, Dood in an apartment shouldn't spend $2k on any system. It's gonna sound terrible regardless.

Yup...and if you're single/living in an apartment, I'd even say fuck the soundbar and get a really high quality set of headphones so you can crank shit without pissing off the neighbors.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member

So ANY apartment is unfit for hi-fi? The fuck kinda bullshit is that?

To the OP: Subs aren't for stereo.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

Well...kinda...unless you really want to piss off everyone in the complex. Most movies need to be a higher volume, they're mixed that way. They put a ton of dynamic range in the mix and unless you want to be "remote chasing" the volume the entire time...you need to listen to it louder. Turn the volume down too much and the center channel disappears. I would set my HT to a 85db reference and I can tell you, it would get LOUD at times, it was mixed that way. Anything less and you couldn't hear the quiet scenes.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
wireless is still not great. Wireless means battery powered, and that's more of a hassle

Wireless, in the business, means wireless transfer of the signal to a set of active speakers that obviously need a power cord. Dynaudio are pioneering this with some seriously awesome speakers.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member

Apartments can vary, so I wouldn't take that statement as an absolute. There are 2000 sq ft apartments that can have beautiful HiFi systems. I'm estimating 600-800sq ft apartments with thin walls and terrible acoustics.

You need room to space your speakers accordingly. You wouldn't put a 60inch TV in a room with a seating distance of just a few feet from the screen.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Wireless, in the business, means wireless transfer of the signal to a set of active speakers that obviously need a power cord. Dynaudio are pioneering this with some seriously awesome speakers.

The problem with that is total component quality.

From what I've experienced, no single company makes everything well. I ran a mix of components because of that. I loved my Rotel amp...but despised their processors, so I went with Sunfire. I love B&W speakers...but their subs suck dick...so I went with a different sub.

Replying on one company to make a great, self powered speaker is something I won't do. I've yet to hear a self powered anything that blew me away...and the price is normally so high that getting components is the same cost.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
3k and 2k minimum for a receiver and sub? Even avsforum has lower standards than you. High end Denon (4000+ series) , Marantz, etc is less than 3k. You can run dual Svs subs for less than 2k...

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
Apartments can vary, so I wouldn't take that statement as an absolute. There are 2000 sq ft apartments that can have beautiful HiFi systems. I'm estimating 600-800sq ft apartments with thin walls and terrible acoustics.

You need room to space your speakers accordingly. You wouldn't put a 60inch TV in a room with a seating distance of just a few feet from the screen.

My shit is quite good. I have no idea how big my pad is in square footsies though.

setup110614thumb.jpg

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
Yup...and if you're single/living in an apartment, I'd even say fuck the soundbar and get a really high quality set of headphones so you can crank shit without pissing off the neighbors.

How really high quality are you talking, in terms of price range?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
How really high quality are you talking, in terms of price range?

Sub $1500? I've heard some headphones that will bring tears to your eyes...a good set of cans can be a beautiful thing. It can also be an acoustically "perfect environment" too...zero room issues, zero reflection, zero coloration.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I have a similar Onkyo 5.1 system, and I haven't heard any soundbars at a comparable price that are even in the same league. They're fine for tv viewing and much better than tv speakers, but just don't hit that midrange that I want for gaming.

When I moved I ditched the rear speakers altogether and don't miss them. I just have the fronts, center, and sub, but I've debated taking the center out.

Btw, if you do decide to ditch your receiver I might be interested in buying it. That one has hdmi, mine is one generation back with no hdmi.

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I thought my $650 pair was expensive enough :p

I love headphones, but my current pair ($200) is expensive enough.

Of course, the listening experience through headphones is very subjective though. I'm lucky that I like the Grado sound (slightly warm with just the right amount of bass for most listening applications, strong vocal presence and medium soundstage) and can get away with a pair of 225's. I have a pair of AKG 701's (originally $500+ but can be had for half that on Amazon now) that are mind blowing in all aspects except bass, but I hardly use those anymore.

Anyways, mileage will always vary between ears.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I love headphones, but my current pair ($200) is expensive enough.

Of course, the listening experience through headphones is very subjective though. I'm lucky that I like the Grado sound (slightly warm with just the right amount of bass for most listening applications, strong vocal presence and medium soundstage) and can get away with a pair of 225's. I have a pair of AKG 701's (originally $500+ but can be had for half that on Amazon now) that are mind blowing in all aspects except bass, but I hardly use those anymore.

Anyways, mileage will always vary between ears.

Don't lie, we know you rock the beats by dre.