Home clothes washer testimony's?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Kind of an "adulting" question...but I'm really struggling on this one.

We need to get a new washer...but I am not having much luck in finding one that doesn't have a large amount of scathing reviews on it. I've looked at Whirlpool, GE, LG, Samsung, Frigidaire, Kenmore...pretty much you name it, all seem to have serious "love-hate" reviews and most have some serious horror stories applied to them.

A big one seems that these new washers are all now so "energy efficient" that they don't use enough water to properly wash the clothes. I've read this about nearly every major brand out there.

Anyway...anyone bought a new top load washer recently and if so, any thoughts on it?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

We need to get a new washer...but I am not having much luck in finding one that doesn't have a large amount of scathing reviews on it. I've looked at Whirlpool, GE, LG, Samsung, Frigidaire, Kenmore...pretty much you name it, all seem to have serious "love-hate" reviews and most have some serious horror stories applied to them.

A big one seems that these new washers are all now so "energy efficient" that they don't use enough water to properly wash the clothes. I've read this about nearly every major brand out there.

Anyway...anyone bought a new top load washer recently and if so, any thoughts on it?

I have a newer GE toploader and it's been running great for last 5 years. I also don't fill up my washer to the top and it also depends what I'm washing. Bulky stuff like comforters I cannot wash at high speed.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
We got an LG washer after our GE bit the dust (lasted almost 15 years). Happy with it so far. Here's a link: https://www.lg.com/us/washers/lg-WT1501CW-top-load-washer

The US manufacturers convinced Trump to enact tariffs on foreign brands but they are still cheaper and you know what, fuck them for driving up prices.

Whatever you get, I would recommend paying for the extended warranty. One problem and it pays for itself.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Buy the cheapest top loader you can get. All the new HE ones are BS, like you said, not enough water to do the wash properly. And forget having a big load. Also, you will not use most of the features since they are all kind of pointless.

I view modern day appliance purchase as completely disposable. Buy the cheapest one and when it breaks, just get a new one and don't bother to fix it.

I did this when I purchased mine 5 years ago, it is still working fine, no frills Whirlpool (I think, not that it matters since I suspect they are all made by the same company).

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Definitely go top loader. Front loading washers from the past 10 years are highly susceptible to black mildew growing everywhere.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I've had an LG top loader for the past 6 years now but it's starting to play up on the fill cycle, other than that it's been a great washer.

Lots of hate on front loaders I see, black mildew? really? I wan't to move to a front loader so I can stack both the washer and dryer.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Definitely go top loader. Front loading washers from the past 10 years are highly susceptible to black mildew growing everywhere.

This is what I heard and why they recommend top loaders.

Some of those stainless steel combo front loaders look really nice though.

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
using a SWAN UK washer on occasion. (LEC UK WAS WHERE IT WAS)
wash my clothes by hand in a 60-liter plastic bin, wring then hang outside.
washers are great, til some random unforeseen consequences arise.... :(

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

100%...we've had a Frigidaire front load for years now. For the most part, it has worked well, but they are filthy machines. Even with tons of cleaning and maint, they still mold and the discharge from the unit just flat out smells like sewer gas. We've done everything we can to clean the unit (including taking it apart)...it still stinks. This is why we're replacing it with the a different, top loading unit.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i jumped from aes to mvs, a little different but does the job.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I got a GE toploader set from 1980's. These mutha truckas wont die. I've done nothing to keep them alive, and it's still going.
I really don't like the high efficiency washers. Never get my large blanket's clean.

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
been after a general electric model for some time.
no dice.
at least hoover and swan take up a TINY bit of slack globally. :D

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Whirlpool lyfe here.

My LG front loader died in 5 years. Almost Everything else in my house is Whirlpool now. No issues, great customer service, still made in 'murica.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
put all of your shit in a giant black trash bag, sling it over your back, and walk a quarter of a mile with it to a spanish speaking establishment filled with tons of washers and dryers, its really great!

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior

Check out the Maytag top loader washer
Model #MVWC465HW
or something similar.

I bought one 3 years ago, and although the High Efficiency/low water part is wack, you can do a full water setting that although not efficient works like they did in the past.

I bough it at lowes, it is commercial grade and I closes 10 warranty on motor and trans.

Goodluck!

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Best advice I can give is to make sure you buy all new hose hookups.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
100%...we've had a Frigidaire front load for years now. For the most part, it has worked well, but they are filthy machines. Even with tons of cleaning and maint, they still mold and the discharge from the unit just flat out smells like sewer gas. We've done everything we can to clean the unit (including taking it apart)...it still stinks. This is why we're replacing it with the a different, top loading unit.

You ever try running bleach through it?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member

Running the household like a real woman. Good job, Rachel.