Holy Crap!! AM2R Metroid II Released!!!

Tanooki

War Room Troll
What kind of dumbass comment is that, seriously? This isn't the 90s, computers don't come with square LCD or CRT monitors anymore. I don't think it's a really off base request to have the option to have the graphics display wider or at least stretch out to fill the screen.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Man, Im friggin' stuck. Im only missing the Ice Beam, at least I assume it's the ice beam. Its the only thing missing in the suit menu. There are these little groups of bubbles that aren't hurt by any of my weapons at all. I can't seem to get past them. I can only assume the last weapon I have can destroy em.

Anyone have any suggestions? Here's where I am on the map, and what they look like.

http://imgur.com/a/mQJq4

http://imgur.com/a/QT7yj

Go to the purple area on your map and try out all the tubes.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
What kind of dumbass comment is that, seriously? This isn't the 90s, computers don't come with square LCD or CRT monitors anymore. I don't think it's a really off base request to have the option to have the graphics display wider or at least stretch out to fill the screen.

You know this is a remake, right? Of a game that used a square display? Based on the graphics and feel of another game that used a square screen? Do you know how much more effort - and possibility of screwing up - (not to mention departure from the source material) is involved in forcing larger environments? Also, did you ever notice that the maps in 2D Metroid games are... SQUARES?

EDIT: Stretched graphics from 4x3 to 16x9?! Are you fucking serious?

Last edited:

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member

Sorry Tanooki, fakeXsound is making VERY valid points here. It's a remake of an old Gameboy game that originally came on a square screen.... Oh and not to mention the game is FREE. Enjoy it, or simply don't play it if the screen size is that big of a deal to you.

You're new here... But on this forum complaining about shit like that on this site and wanting the option to stretch the screen to fit your display will get very little of sympathy here. Should the game have VR support as well?

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Yeah im not seeing the problem here 4:3 here. Maybe I understand since i grew up on 4:3 so it doesnt bother me at all. I prefer to play the game the way it was intended. Same rule I use for REmake and RE0 HD. I dont use the wide screen or alternate controls options.

Then again I know ALOT of people of many different age ranges who get VERY frustrated when their screen isnt full to the brim. Some go as far as to call it a straight up ripoff to pay for a big screen and not have every pixel filled at all times lol

they WILL go as far as to completely mangle the image any way they can just to fill the screen up. Image quality be damned.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I know what it is, I know what it came from, I own the game and have since 20+ years ago when it came out. That said, I still stand on the fact it would be nice to have the choice to fill the screen even stretched out. I enjoy it fine, not sure why all this crap is getting thrown over a simple comment. I just don't like playing games in a box, same with the GB Player or the Retron5, I blow the GB-GBC-GBA games up to full screen as I don't mind the stretching at all -- same with GB/GBC on a GBA too.

Would it stop me from playing it? No. I just would like the option, that's all, nothing more or less.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
I know what it is, I know what it came from, I own the game and have since 20+ years ago when it came out. That said, I still stand on the fact it would be nice to have the choice to fill the screen even stretched out. I enjoy it fine, not sure why all this crap is getting thrown over a simple comment. I just don't like playing games in a box, same with the GB Player or the Retron5, I blow the GB-GBC-GBA games up to full screen as I don't mind the stretching at all -- same with GB/GBC on a GBA too.

Would it stop me from playing it? No. I just would like the option, that's all, nothing more or less.

I guess the point is we all got something really fantastic for free and the guy put a shit ton of work into and got jack shit back, so if you don't have only glowing nice things to say about it then shhhhhhhh. He only deserves accolades and kudos. It's humbling when people do stuff like this and expect nothing so you will have a target on your back even if you were just discussing a preference and didn't mean it as a put down. Problem is so many people are clogging up threads bitching about something that we probably need a subforum called the bitch and complain room and they can post all the worthless threads in there. I have no problem with threads that are started to complain, but if someone starts a topic about something like say the nes flashback, and then someone else jumps in and wants to bitch and complain about a 60 dollar novelty item that looks cool, comes with 30 games and has hdmi output but are pissed off because they can play the same stuff in mame then they should just stfu or start a thread of there own about how Nintendo was a shitty parent and doesn't care about your feels. (That's a little directed to you but you weren't the only one, the beard guy pissed me off more with rants of mame)

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I guess the point is we all got something really fantastic for free and the guy put a shit ton of work into and got jack shit back, so if you don't have only glowing nice things to say about it then shhhhhhhh. He only deserves accolades and kudos. It's humbling when people do stuff like this and expect nothing so you will have a target on your back even if you were just discussing a preference and didn't mean it as a put down. Problem is so many people are clogging up threads bitching about something that we probably need a subforum called the bitch and complain room and they can post all the worthless threads in there. I have no problem with threads that are started to complain, but if someone starts a topic about something like say the nes flashback, and then someone else jumps in and wants to bitch and complain about a 60 dollar novelty item that looks cool, comes with 30 games and has hdmi output but are pissed off because they can play the same stuff in mame then they should just stfu or start a thread of there own about how Nintendo was a shitty parent and doesn't care about your feels. (That's a little directed to you but you weren't the only one, the beard guy pissed me off more with rants of mame)

Amen.

AM2R is awesome. I'm off to beat the Queen Metroid now.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Now that im playing, the game just doesnt look that great on my LCD. Thinking i should hook it up to a CRT

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
I'm really getting into this. It's great. Played the demo probably a year ago and I'm so glad to see it as a full game. Currently at 22%

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
1.1 is out. It fixes the issue with the Gravity Suit, along with a few other bugs.

Your save game will import, but its advised to make a backup as a few people noted that their save file was detected as being corrupt and was deleted.

http://am2r.freeforums.org/post25265.html

fake

15 Year Member
I think I'm near the end (trying to beat the first Omega Metroid) so I'd just gonna play it safe and not update. The only bug I've experienced is that I fell off the screen one time and just kept falling, which revealed a ton of the map :lolz:

This game is so good. I don't remember if Metroid Zero Mission sold well, but I imagine it did. So I don't understand why Nintendo didn't remake it for GBA or DS. Then again, we're talking about Nintendo here.

One thing I've been thinking about is that this game must've been on Nintendo's radar for years. It was actually pretty cool of them to not shut down the project mid-development. They basically allowed the team to finish the game. They know that you can't delete things from the Internet, so I think that in a way, Nintendo was like "Alright, fair enough, let him finish it and then we'll have it taken down."

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Ehh Nintendo can't really do shit. If they throw it up on file sharing sites they can just request them being removed, and if they're on sites that don't give a crap about Nintendo or their IP complaints it'll remain. If true, they said THEY were never served a C&D letter at all, just the sharing sites, so technically Nintendo would need the lawyers to knock on the developers door before he may flinch.

But yes, morons, should have just made a patcher file too. I was surprised to see the file wasn't hard to figure out. Then again maybe not, the original wasn't installed anyway, you do it yourself unzipping it which seemed a bit lazy (but hey it's free.) Perhaps someone could work with the guy to create an installer.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
LMAO! That's not a patch. That's the whole game. They're going to get sued. Morons.

well glad im not far enough to care if my data gets corrupted.

wierd that they just opted to post up the whole game though....but whatever. im sure the big N dont care

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Ehh Nintendo can't really do shit. If they throw it up on file sharing sites they can just request them being removed, and if they're on sites that don't give a crap about Nintendo or their IP complaints it'll remain. If true, they said THEY were never served a C&D letter at all, just the sharing sites, so technically Nintendo would need the lawyers to knock on the developers door before he may flinch.

But yes, morons, should have just made a patcher file too. I was surprised to see the file wasn't hard to figure out. Then again maybe not, the original wasn't installed anyway, you do it yourself unzipping it which seemed a bit lazy (but hey it's free.) Perhaps someone could work with the guy to create an installer.

I hate installers for crap like this. You want a shortcut? Make one yourself. I don't want to see this sort of thing showing up in my installed programs menu.

fake

15 Year Member
For anyone trying to complete the map, your last chance to do so is right after you defeat the three Omega Metroids. After that, you can't turn back.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Finished the game yesterday with 90% item completion. Overall, I enjoyed the hell out of it, but the last third of it was kind of underwhelming. Too many empty areas, and no challenging enemies outside of the Omega Metroids and Queen Metroid.

Going to play it from scratch on hard mode and see how that goes.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
For anyone trying to complete the map, your last chance to do so is right after you defeat the three Omega Metroids. After that, you can't turn back.

That's not true at all.
You can go all the way up to the spike room outside the Queen Metroid's lair and still turn back.
Especially with the most recent patch that adds a quick-travel tube to the right of the Genetics Lab save point.

Before that, you could travel back via the waterfalls in the area just before the Genetics Lab, exactly the same as in the original Metroid 2.

Oh, and that reminds me of a gripe I have with AM2R. They ruined the tension of the genetics lab.

When you first get there in the original Metroid 2, you have a global Metroid count of 1, but when you see the egg, a stinger plays and the Metroid counter goes haywire and you suddenly have 12 more Metroids from NOWHERE.

When I was a kid, that scene was so cool.
AM2R neuters it by never giving you that false sense of nearing the end and seeing the counter go wild as it dawns on you that you're in their nest, and there are young metroids nearby.

Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member
I tried to go back and it was blocked off. I had to restart from my previous save.

fake

15 Year Member
That's not true at all.
You can go all the way up to the spike room outside the Queen Metroid's lair and still turn back.
Especially with the most recent patch that adds a quick-travel tube to the right of the Genetics Lab save point.

Before that, you could travel back via the waterfalls in the area just before the Genetics Lab, exactly the same as in the original Metroid 2.

I tried to go back and it was blocked off. I had to restart from my previous save.

Just confirmed that you cannot backtrack after you beat the final Omega Metroids and drop down to the final Metroid. The ceiling is blocked after defeating the final Metroid.

Beat the game with 88% items. Very close to 100% map. It's all filled in, but I'm better there are a few hidden rooms I didn't uncover.