Hillary Declaring Presidential Run?

PopeCuervoLime

Avid Neo-Expert
15 Year Member
I didn't see this anywhere else in Unrelated.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070120/ap_on_el_pr/clinton2008

A quick once-over on her website and then back to Yahoo and one kind of sounds like she's for-real about it and the other one says its just an exploratory committee, or are they the same thing? IIRC, Obama's doing the same right?

I live in a grad school vacuum right now so I don't get news that often as I'd like.

NEW YORK - Democratic Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton launched a trailblazing campaign for the White House on Saturday, a former first lady turned political powerhouse intent on becoming the first female president. "I'm in, and I'm in to win," she said.

ADVERTISEMENT

In a videotaped message posted on her Web site, Clinton said she was eager to start a dialogue with voters about challenges she hoped to tackle as president — affordable health care, deficit reduction and bringing the "right" end to the Iraq war.

"I'm not just starting a campaign, though, I'm beginning a conversation with you, with America," she said. "Let's talk. Let's chat. The conversation in Washington has been just a little one-sided lately, don't you think?"

Clinton's announcement, while widely anticipated, was nonetheless historic in a fast-developing campaign that has already seen the emergence of a formidable black contender, Democratic Sen. Barack Obama (news, bio, voting record) of Illinois.

In an instant, Clinton became the most credible female candidate ever to seek the presidency and the first presidential spouse to attempt to return to the White House in her own right. Her husband, Bill, served two terms as president from 1993 to 2001.

"I am one of the millions of women who have waited all their lives to see the first woman sworn in as president of the United States — and now we have our best opportunity to see that dream fulfilled," said Ellen Malcolm, president of EMILY's list, which raises money for Democratic women who run for office.

With her immense star power, vast network of supporters and donors and seasoned team of political advisers, the 59-year-old Clinton long has topped every national poll of potential Democratic contenders.

But since joining the field, Obama has secured the backing of a number of prominent fundraisers, including billionaire philanthropist George Soros, stepping up the pressure on Clinton to disclose her plans.

Her controversial tenure as first lady left her a deeply polarizing figure among voters, leading many Democrats to doubt Clinton's viability in a general election.

In a detailed statement posted on her Web site, Clinton sought to acknowledge and bat away such doubts.

"I have never been afraid to stand up for what I believe in or to face down the Republican machine," she wrote. "After nearly $70 million spent against my campaigns in New York and two landslide wins, I can say I know how Washington Republicans think, how they operate and how to beat them."

Recently, Clinton has clashed with many in her own party over the Iraq war.

Clinton supported the 2002 resolution authorizing military intervention in Iraq. She has refused to recant her vote or call for a deadline for the removal of troops. She has announced her opposition to President Bush's troop increase in Iraq and has introduced legislation capping troop levels.

"A woman candidate could find it easier to run in peacetime, rather than wartime, but Senator Clinton's tried to position herself as a serious person on national security," said Andrew Polsky, a presidential historian at Hunter College. "But that means she's staked out difficult position on the war that won't make it easy for her to get the Democratic nomination."

With a $14 million campaign treasury, Clinton starts with an impressive fundraising advantage over the rest of the Democratic field. But Obama and others have started to secure fundraising commitments from New York, California and other deep-pocketed, Clinton-friendly areas.

Her creation of a presidential exploratory committee, announced Saturday, allows her to raise money for the campaign; she already has lined up campaign staff.

In tone and substance, Clinton's videotaped announcement recalled her first Senate race in New York in 2000, where she conducted a "listening tour" of the state's 62 counties before formally entering the contest.

She promised a three-day series of Web chats with voters beginning Monday and prepared a campaign swing late this coming week through the early voting state of Iowa, while a visit to New Hampshire was in the works.

On Sunday, New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson was also set to enter the Democratic field; if elected, he would be the first Hispanic president.

For the short term at least, the outsized candidacies of Clinton and Obama were expected to soak up the lion's share of attention.

Obama, who launched his own presidential committee on Tuesday, praised Clinton as a friend and colleague.

"I welcome her and all the candidates, not as competitors, but as allies in the work of getting our country back on track," he said in a statement.

Campaigning in New Hampshire, Connecticut Sen. Chris Dodd did not comment specifically on Clinton's announcement, but said: "I'm not one for exploratory committees. You're in or you're not."

Other Democratic contenders include former Iowa Gov. Tom Vilsack; Ohio Rep. Dennis Kucinich and former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards, the party's 2004 vice-presidential nominee. Delaware Sen. Joe Biden has said he will run and planned to formalize his intentions soon. Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry, the party's 2004 standard bearer, is also contemplating another run.

An influential player in her husband's political career in Arkansas, Hillary Clinton leapt to the national scene during the 1992 presidential campaign when husband and wife fought to survive the scandal over Gennifer Flowers' allegations of a lengthy affair with Bill Clinton when he was the state's governor.

The Clintons appeared together on CBS' "60 Minutes" to talk about their marriage — Hillary Clinton's first famous "Stand by Your Man" moment.

As first lady, Clinton headed up a disastrous first-term effort to overhaul the health care insurance system. There was more controversy as the couple battled allegations of impropriety over land deals and fundraising, missing records from her former Arkansas law firm and even her quick and hefty profits from an investment in cattle futures.

There was no letup in the second term. The president found himself denying — then admitting — having a sexual relationship with White House intern Monica Lewinsky. As he battled impeachment and possible removal from office, his wife's poll numbers rose.

Her own political career began to take shape in late 1998 when New York Democrat Daniel Patrick Moynihan announced he would not seek re-election to the Senate seat he had held since 1976.

The campaign trail was not always friendly. For almost every cheer, there was a shouted "Go home, Hillary!" and the emerging Republican theme that carpetbagger Clinton simply wanted to use New York as a launching pad for a later presidential run.

___

Associated Press Writer Marc Humbert contributed to this report from Albany, N.Y.

___

On the Net:

Hillary Rodham Clinton site: http://www.hillaryclinton.com/

zombiesara

, She-sagwa
well....a dumb bitch is better than a spoiled daddy's boy.....

plus we might get some more of bill's exploits.......

El_Duque

Andy's Clothess,
Lets Gekiga In said:
Bill Clinton = First Gentleman, is that what they would call it?

Yeah, I believe so. In some countries where the woman is president, the husband is usually called the First Gentleman.

ferrarimanf355

Bullets QB
God help us all if she wins the nomination. I just might vote for Brownback... :oh_no:

Give me Richardson or Edwards, then I'll vote Democrat.

BoriquaSNK

His Excellency BoriquaSNK,, The Ambassador of Appl
15 Year Member
I had an interesting discussion today with a few work colleagues.

On the basis of my completely unscientific poll, Hillary is HATED among men, and women find her suspicious.

I figure she's too masculine to relate to women, and men in America are truly averse to women holding the office of president.

When you look at the issues and her competence, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone more suited for the office, she has the right mentality and temperment and she was built to be an administrator from day one. I don't like her floating over issues, and I don't appreciate her Lieberman-esque habits of opposing perfectly reasonable Democratic policies just to play to the right...but if people completely count her out then they are crazy. She can win this, especially with a good veep candidate.

I'm a staunch Edwards/Obama supporter, while I like Hillary's economic positions (she's surprisingly libertarian on many issues) I can't stand with her apologist attitudes on Iraq.

Guliani is the only person who could beat her decisively, but he'll never survive the primary. McCain will have a much tougher time since he's painting himself as the war candidate and she's just as much in the shit as he is.

zombiesara

, She-sagwa
to bad i'm republican.....sigh....i just wish someone like bush wasn't in office....
i get dirty looks from all the old ladies down at the bingo hall when i wear my propaganda....

BoriquaSNK

15 Year Member
ferrarimanf355 said:
I just might vote for Brownback... :oh_no:]

That's a little excessive.

Just cuz you don't like her doesn't mean you have to vote us back into the stone age.

BoriquaSNK

15 Year Member
zombiesara said:
to bad i'm republican.....sigh....i just wish someone like bush wasn't in office....
i get dirty looks from all the old ladies down at the bingo hall when i wear my propaganda....

Female Republicans and Gay Republicans are great.

Use the rights you've fought for generation upon generation to vote your rights away.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
BoriquaSNK said:

Use the rights you've fought for generation upon generation to vote your rights away.

She wont listen to reason, Ive tried.

zombiesara

, She-sagwa
BoriquaSNK said:

republican financially, democrat ethics wise....

sigh....i just don't want to claim liberal, because then i really don't get to vote in the primaries.

EDIT: mainly because i like to go into the Republican primaries wearing my lesbian pride shirt. :)

Eldios

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
If she wins the democratic nomination, 2008 will be the biggest republican presidential landslide victory in history.

BoriquaSNK

15 Year Member
Eldios said:
If she wins the democratic nomination, 2008 will be the biggest republican presidential landslide victory in history.

They said the same thing about W in 1999.

Greatkiller

B. Jenet's Firstmate
If she is elected president, then the illuminati and secret societies are true. LOL:make_fac:

2010 is the year AHHHH!

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
I think that if she picks Bill for her Vice President, she has a chance of winning.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
BoriquaSNK said:
They said the same thing about W in 1999.

Don't forget that the 1992 Primary was dubbed the "Race to see who can loose to George HW Bush"

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Gameoz said:
I think that if she picks Bill for her Vice President, she has a chance of winning.

That's not constitutionally permissable.

Hidden Character

Leader of The Hyperstone Heist,
20 Year Member
El_Duque said:
Yeah, I believe so. In some countries where the woman is president, the husband is usually called the First Gentleman.

I would imagine he'd be called the First Husband, but that works as well.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Sonya Ghandi could have picked up her widows old office a few years ago... I'm suprised that she didn't go for it.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
Personally I'd rather see Obama or Richardson take the nomination. Clinton just doesn't sit right with me.

jp.

Angel's Love Slave
'Twould truly be a depressing day if Hillary Clinton was our president. She IS Diana Moon Glampers from Kurt Vonnegut's short story "Harrison Bergeron".

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
awesome looks like i'm not voting.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Edwards will win the the presidency in 2008.

Hillary will not get far.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Jedah Doma said:
Let's hope not. She's too damn trigger happy on video game violence.

Is that really so important?