Help Starting - 2 Slot Cabinet

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
It's not hard if you know what you are doing. A unibios would solve most of your problems. It allows access to the test menu through the control panel.

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
Unibios is also incredibly helpful with diagnostics and calibration. What model 2 slot is that? I can't find a matching one on MVS Scans. If you want to test which connections will open the test screens all you need is some wire. Put one end on ground and the other on M or 15. Whichever gets you to that screen is the right one
Edit: Doing it this way will also tell you if the switch is hooked up correctly or if you have a JAMMA harness. You could always just buy a new MVS harness. Probably not a bad Idea anyway since that one's probably getting old anyway.

Last edited:
Interesting I'll try that. So just do that after powering on? What kind of wire? Which ground would I connect it to? The thing at the bottom of the cab or one of the grounds in the harness? Maybe it's the same either way... learning some basics here. And then I assume do that with the test switch on?

Sorry it's actually a 4 slot pcb but the cab is a 2 slot.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
Still couldn't find a match on mvs scans, interesting board lol. Anyway you can use anything conductive honestly but you'll need to have a way to see the video out put. The jamma harness should still leave a bit of the pins showing behind it so you can use those spaces, just make sure you remember which pins are what. Turn it on and use pin 14 as your ground as its right about the middle of the connector, and then try touching one of the pins I mentioned. One of them will take you to the hardware test, and that is the one that you wanted wired on the harness.

Regular 4 slot I believe. Here's what I was looking at. Went ahead and switched it to M and Test Switch is working!!! Looks like it was wired to 15 which would be Jamma. Right?

Thanks so much for your help! Now I just need to fix my monitor issues and get this cab fixed up. :)
136912baa9198c6bfca6ed13685fddfb.jpg

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
There's a few 4 slot revisions but none of them had the controller ports where yours was, that's why it's interesting. Awesome man looks like you got the harness pretty much done. You should make sure you have connections on D and 26 so that you can select games.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Having controller ports in the back is pretty standard for the MV-4.

Only have one game but believe my Select Game button working. Do you guys know where my horizontal width control is? Wondering if it's the blue thing in the below pic. Wherever it is... can I adjust that with the game on or do I need to shut down and discharge the monitor every time I tweak it?

cc54e3aa5bc6da766bb8a2d9aee6c3c7.jpg

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
Do you have the monitor model number? I would look for a schematic.
Shadow - I see, I haven't had any 4 slots so I just go off of MVS scans. I know they don't have every board on there but you'd think they'd have a scan of it if it's that common :/

Hey peoples... I need the model for the chassis right not the tube? Tube is a Zenith, but all I can find on the chassis is a serial number that yields nothing on Google. Thoughts? Thanks so much again.

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
The tube model number will probably include the chassis schematics.

Thanks will look. Think I'm going to shift gears though and not mess with that quite yet as I got it pretty good without tweaking that setting. Going to tackle joysticks and buttons next...

What's the best solution for cleaning joysticks, buttons, the art overlay etc.? Soapy water? Windex and an old t shirt? Alcohol? Thanks so much.

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
For joysticks alcohol and a rag or some kind of non abrasive cleaning wipe. If you're disassembling the stick then some compressed air and alcohol on the gnarly parts and regrease it with plastic safe grease. art overlay I'd use soapy water and a non abrasive rag. I don't recommend paper towels because they leave pieces behind and it's annoying to clean them up. Disassemble the buttons and clean the plastic parts in soapy water and I'd also toss in the ball/bat top of the joystick. Obviously let everything dry completely before you put it together again. Good luck!