Help. Screwy MVS carts...

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
I got about a dozen cart today. Everything was decent, except LB 2, RB 2, and KOF 95 (thank heavens, MSX is fine). There are ugly straight black line going all over the place (samething w/ my pirated LB 1).

I think it's loose connector (I tried cleaning it, so it can't be dirty contact), or something else--like pirated cart. But, I don't want to open it, as that would nullify my warrenty. Any idea on what's wrong with it? Any advise? Thanks.

I am using an MVS converter (Shawn's version). I don't think that's the problem, but most of my MVS carts show some lines or dots, however slight.

------------------
ffmw_terry.gif

"Come on, get serious!"

[This message has been edited by Master Terry Bogard (edited January 25, 2001).]

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Can you return them? I guess one way to tell if it is the game or the converter is to get another cart... of course if they are all boot legs then that will not do any good. By the way, what kind of warrantee did you get on these games, and who with... this sounds like Rich from Game Sellers. Christ if thats the case open the thing up, he is not going to stick you to not opening the things... if there is a Neo Geo sticker on the side it can be removed if you are gentle and reapplied. I do not what to tell you since I have never had to deal with a converter, but it is hard to screw up an MVS cart (real hard) so it may be a bootleg.

-Nick

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
Thanks. Actually, it's not Aslan (Rich), though I did have a problem w/ the cart (Kizuna Encunter), and he immediatly replaced the game w/ one that was in working order.

It's Mdgamesales. I got an e-mail from him, and he said that he will replace them, when I return the carts. I told him that I was using the converter. He have some doubts, because he said that out of 300 returned carts, like only 2 are actually bad. It's mostly w/ old PCB board not making contact correctly, contacts being dirty, games that are not fit in properly, etc. I know that the guy checks to see if the game works. But, maybe he doesn't check the item out throughoutly. The carts appear fine, when you start it up. It's only when you play a bit, or look at the intros, then you see those ugly lines.

Honestly, I can't get it to work, so I am going to return them. Is that my converter's fault? My error? Or the MVS? I don't know. I am not going to speculate any further, as the seller is a fairly decent guy--I don't want to paint the wrong picture. I also found Aslan to be a good guy as well, but it's based on my experience with him. I guess I will find out, when I get the carts replaced.

------------------
ffmw_terry.gif

"Come on, get serious!"

outsider

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Originally posted by Master Terry Bogard:

It's Mdgamesales. I got an e-mail from him, and he said that he will replace them, when I return the carts. I told him that I was using the converter. He have some doubts, because he said that out of 300 returned carts, like only 2 are actually bad. It's mostly w/ old PCB board not making contact correctly, contacts being dirty, games that are not fit in properly, etc. I know that the guy checks to see if the game works. But, maybe he doesn't check the item out throughoutly. The carts appear fine, when you start it up. It's only when you play a bit, or look at the intros, then you see those ugly lines.

Yeah, bought a thing or two from him. I think he does test them, but honestly, its not likely he sits there and watches each game for a couple of minutes, it would be too time consuming. He sells tons of games, but I bet he'll be nice to swap you out with a new one. Good luck on the new carts.

Retrofluff

n00b
I use a cotton bud to clean mine, I run it along the edge of each of the connectors. I've got a lot of old mvs carts and when they were delivered they were very dirty, symptoms were just the start up grid displayed, or garbled text/sprites etc. I found the cotton bud fixed it, if this does not then I'm sure mdgamesales will replace, they will test them when you send it in, they are good and honest..

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
My bad. I have completly forgotten to update this deal. Well, I got the items back last week?, and they still have the same problem. Mdgamesales have been great thru this deal. I guess it's my $550 converter problem or something:.( The glitch isn't that really bad, but maybe I should update to a new converter.

------------------
ffmw_terry.gif

"Come on, get serious!"