Help repairing bad traces on MV2F. Schematics available?

Syco54645

n00b
Hello again,

I am back once more to fix an MV2F that has suffered pretty bad battery damage. The damage looks to have gone untreated for some time affecting the traces to the Neo-ZMC2 as well as possibly the HD74HC32P chip below the battery. It is currently throwing a Backup Ram Error. Hopefully some sort of a pinout exists as that would make life easier. Schematics would also work of course but I have yet to find those. mv2f.jpgbackup ram .jpg

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Repaired a board awhile back in similar condition. Your assumption about the HC32 is correct.I also ended up having to replace a couple of components to the left of that chip after all traces were patched.
BB
Hello again,

I am back once more to fix an MV2F that has suffered pretty bad battery damage. The damage looks to have gone untreated for some time affecting the traces to the Neo-ZMC2 as well as possibly the HD74HC32P chip below the battery. It is currently throwing a Backup Ram Error. Hopefully some sort of a pinout exists as that would make life easier. Schematics would also work of course but I have yet to find those. View attachment 52882View attachment 52883

Last edited:

Syco54645

n00b
How did you know the locations the traces went to? Or did you just solder the legs directly to the traces (past the damage of course)?

Without a schematic or pinout I'd think this will be quite difficult.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
That wouldn't be ZMC2 related...check traces on Z80 chip and components in that area.YM2610,SM1,6116,etc.
Three things come in handy ...multi-meter continuity checker,a logic probe and DIAG-BIOS.
BB
Thanks. Repaired the traces for the HC32 and ram error is gone but now have a Z80 error. I guess it is time to repair traces at the ZMC2.

Last edited:

Syco54645

n00b
That wouldn't be ZMC2 related...check traces on Z80 chip and components in that area.YM2610,SM1,6116,etc.
Three things come in handy ...multi-meter continuity checker,a logic probe and DIAG-BIOS.
BB

Thanks. Will do. Figured I need to repair the zmc2 and may be related but in looking at the zmc2 specs has nothing to do with sound. Will look at the z80 area for any issues.

Syco54645

n00b
BB

Thanks for pointing that out. Found a faint scratch. Board boots but now missing graphics and that is the work of the ZMC2 best I can tell. Now starts the long process of fixing those traces... I luckily found the connections of the ZMC2 chip in this post so will meter those out and start from there. http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?252389-MVS-Z80-error&p=3745365&viewfull=1#post3745365 (why are such things not on the wiki? if they are I am just too dumb to find them I guess...)

Progress image with neo turf masters inserted.

View attachment 52889

Last edited: