Help Me Go RGB on My Mega Drive Model 2

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Hey gaiz,

I got the Retrovision cables in the mail. I plugged 'em in and the picture is really sharp, but also very green. I have my Model 2 plugged into the RGB of my PVM. I've scrolled through the menu and can't find anything to fix it. What could I be doing wrong?

Edit - I'm an r-tard and bought the wrong cable, since my PVM 14N6U only has RGB, not component. Would these be the right cables to get for my MD+CD Model 2?

RGB SCART:
link

SCART to BNC:
link

Last edited:

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
If this doesn't work you probably need to switch in the menu from component to RGB (RGB/Comp Sel).

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I think I figured it out. I'm an idiot. These are component cables and my shitty PVM only has RGB. :(

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Are you sure? Most PVM's you could switch from RGB to component. Make sure the sync button is off and in the menu there should be a option to go comp. You could always just by a Megadrive 2 cable and go RGB. I think I might have one if you need it.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Are you sure? Most PVM's you could switch from RGB to component. Make sure the sync button is off and in the menu there should be a option to go comp. You could always just by a Megadrive 2 cable and go RGB. I think I might have one if you need it.

Here's what mine looks like. There actually is no sync button. The only thing I can change is sync on green vs external sync. I don't think it's capable of running component at all. :( The ones that can say "RGB / Component" on the back panel label.

L2ltYWdlcy9wcm9kdWN0L21haW4vU09OWVBWTTE0TjZVeDQwMC5qcGc=_H_SH400_MW400.jpg

sony-pvm-14n6u-14-trinitron-color-video-monitor-5.39__04969.1490121492.jpg

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Here's what mine looks like. There actually is no sync button. The only thing I can change is sync on green vs external sync. I don't think it's capable of running component at all. :( The ones that can say "RGB / Component" on the back panel label.

L2ltYWdlcy9wcm9kdWN0L21haW4vU09OWVBWTTE0TjZVeDQwMC5qcGc=_H_SH400_MW400.jpg

sony-pvm-14n6u-14-trinitron-color-video-monitor-5.39__04969.1490121492.jpg

I'm not familiar with that model but sometimes it could be a combination of buttons. If you could maybe find a pdf of the manual for that tv it might help. I'll try and see if I could find that rgb cable for you so you could play that Genny2 in full glory.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I'm not familiar with that model but sometimes it could be a combination of buttons. If you could maybe find a pdf of the manual for that tv it might help. I'll try and see if I could find that rgb cable for you so you could play that Genny2 in full glory.

Thank you - I appreciate it!

(I opened up the hidden menu and there's nothing to adjust other than raster center. I think this monitor is way more bare bones than most PVMs. I'd try to find another one, but the single PVM on Craigslist is going for $500.)

Try to switch from sync on green to external sync.

When I switch to external sync, the picture gets scrambled. If I plug the green cable into the sync port, it stabilizes but is then missing green, so everything is red, blue, and purple.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Yeah it looks like no component on that model. The 2 cables linked in your post (scart and breakout) should work perfectly.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Thanks guys - if Razo can't find that cable, I'll order these. Even though the colors are off with the component cable, the difference from composite is night and day. The picture is super sharp, even though this PVM isn't the best. Gonna have a friend help me mod my Duo-R as well to finally take advantage of it.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Thanks guys - if Razo can't find that cable, I'll order these. Even though the colors are off with the component cable, the difference from composite is night and day. The picture is super sharp, even though this PVM isn't the best. Gonna have a friend help me mod my Duo-R as well to finally take advantage of it.

I'm going to check tonight.

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
fakeXsound if you have no need for the HDRV cable I'll buy it from ya :D

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Razo came through with the cable and the difference is night and day. Not the greatest photos, but...

Before:
B2u6X9l.png

After:
8lTkrSI.png

I wish I didn't wait so long to get on the RGB train. I'll probably stick to composite for my Famicom - IIRC the modded ones are very pricey and I love my Twin. But after COVID (...) my friend is going to drop the RGB mod into my Duo.

Thanks again to Razo for hooking me up!

fakeXsound if you have no need for the HDRV cable I'll buy it from ya :D

I still have a use for 'em when paired up with the PS1 adapter so I'm going to hold on to them.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I haven't bought into the PVM train but really, RGB off scart is indispensable for me now. The only holdouts without RGB here are my Laseractive PACs because I really don't feel like modding it (but want to do it someday, doesn't seem all that hard), but I can't play everything else without ultra crisp RGB coming off of the console into my modded GBS-8200 (which really packs a punch with the gbs control mod for such a cheap and originally shitty scaler). RGB certainly renewed my interest in owning old consoles.

Have fun with it!

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yea, once you play old school consoles in pure RGB on a quality crt monitor there is no going back. I remember the first time I played my MD (Sor2) on a PVM, I was glued to the monitor in awe. It really does breathe new life into a lot of games you enjoyed playing.