Help consolizing an MV2F

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Hi

I am consolizing this MV2F board, but am having an issue with it. I followed Xian Xi's guide: http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/files/cmvsmv2f.pdf and it works for the most part, however:

- I am using a neobitz encoder for the video part, the one that has composite, s-video and component outputs, however here is how the video looks in every mode:

1. Composite:

It looks nice for the most part, however vertical edges are so wavy.

2. S-video
Quality image looks right, but there are like jailbars or interference, most notable in the red and blue colors:

3. Component
Looks like crap:

So far, I have ruled out:

- The power supply: I tested using the PS from my supergun at exactly 5V, same results
- The MV2F board: Works perfectly when using a supergun
- The encoder: Tested with a spare one I have available, exact same results

So...any ideas guys?

P.S: I also noticed the voltage at the JAMMA edge, when using the suggested 3A@5V power supply is about 6V, which is way too high. I believe this is because the board does not draw too much power, therefore the 3A@5V unregulated power supply is too much for it. Should I get a regulator, like this one?http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-9V-12...343798?hash=item4d37a99a76:g:RRgAAOSwu4BV6hTV any other suggestions?

Thanks for any pointers

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
You could try a decent 5v 2a switching PSU, like the variety from Linksys and D-Link routers. The MV-2F shouldn't pull 3a, not unless you've loaded it with two high meg games.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If component looks like that, make sure you have the correct pinout of the output header. One thing too is make sure there aren't any loose solder joints.

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
Component is missing the Pb channel. The white ramp is correct, so the RGB signals are reaching the encoder just fine. This is definitely an output connection problem as Xian Xi has noted.

There's pretty much nothing to do about the wobbly vertical edges with composite. The subcarrier frequency is free-running in comparison to the image being generated so it'll never be in lockstep with a line's pixels. You can, however, tweak the frequency so as to increase the speed of the "wobbling" to get improved temporal dithering, as many consoles did (Sega Saturn does this very well for some of the best composite video).

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Hey guys, thanks for the help. I checked my work on the consolization and turns out the blue jack of component (Pb, as Mike foretold) is not making good contact when the cable gets connected to it. I'll change it and that should solve the component issue.

Now, any ideas on how to get rid of the interference in s-video?

Also, any comments on a good voltage regulator to use with this? I do not want to risk the MV2F board by supplying it with too much voltage.

Thanks!!

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
You could try a decent 5v 2a switching PSU, like the variety from Linksys and D-Link routers. The MV-2F shouldn't pull 3a, not unless you've loaded it with two high meg games.

On the 5v AES, some games struggle to run gfx and sound perfectly on a 2.5A PSU ( SamSho I, KOF94, etc ). In the other end, high MEG count carts like KOF98 and Metal Slug 3 ran without a single glitch. Don't know on the MV2F. I'm running mine with a 3.7A so I'm covered.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
On the 5v AES, some games struggle to run gfx and sound perfectly on a 2.5A PSU ( SamSho I, KOF94, etc ). In the other end, high MEG count carts like KOF98 and Metal Slug 3 ran without a single glitch. Don't know on the MV2F. I'm running mine with a 3.7A so I'm covered.

I'm not sure the 5V AES is comparable to the MV2F power-wise, but I do know that when I tested the MV2F with a single cart, the voltage in the JAMMA edge was almost 6V, so I am not willing to risk it. I think I'll get a regulator, install it and see how it goes from there.

Still puzzled about the interference in s-video...

Thanks!!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Check voltage from the furthest back IC. If you want to drop the voltage you can put a load on the PSU with maybe a .28 -.32 3w resistor. Or you can get one of those DC to DC converters, I'm pretty sure they can convert X to 5v.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I'm not sure the 5V AES is comparable to the MV2F power-wise, but I do know that when I tested the MV2F with a single cart, the voltage in the JAMMA edge was almost 6V, so I am not willing to risk it. I think I'll get a regulator, install it and see how it goes from there.

Still puzzled about the interference in s-video...

Thanks!!

The 5V AES is rated at 3A, same as the MV2F iirc.
The point is, HMG said the MV2F could work on 2A but only if not with two high MEG count carts.
That's why I said that I ran the 5V AES fine on a 2.5A on single cart with one high MEG count game (MS3, KOF98, 99, 2K, etc ) but it glitched a lot with KOF94 graphic wise and with SamSho the sound cracked a lot.