Help building a supergun

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Hi

I already read some documents on how to do it, and I think I have a clear understanding of it. I would like, however, a recommendation from you guys on the parts to use to get best results. The SG would be used with a Neo MV1C and also would like it to work with CPS1/2 boards. So far, I have selected these parts, would like to know your opinions:

Video Encoder: Neobitz

Power supply: PicoPSU 80: http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-80

Jamma harness: http://www.jammaboards.com/store/jamma-full-cabinet-wiring-harness-loom-jamma-h1.html

Stick and buttons: These SANWA: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261313749906?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I believe these are the important parts, the rest are pretty standard connectors and solder which should be all the same.

Recommendations/opinions are very welcome guys.

Thanks!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Why a Pico? It's also a DC-DC So what other DC power supply would you be running with it?

giggsy07

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Just dont smoke any Colombian weed beforehand and everything should go well:)Great project im planning to put 1 together myself soon.Good luck..

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Why a Pico? It's also a DC-DC So what other DC power supply would you be running with it?

I was thinking of it because of the size, I would like to try and keep it all inside the enclosure of the SuperGun. I would like to use something like the power supply of the Omega, since it's small, uses a standard PC cable and outputs good filtered power, but so far the picoPSU has bee the closest I've got. I'd appreciate suggestions :)

Just dont smoke any Colombian weed beforehand and everything should go well:)Great project im planning to put 1 together myself soon.Good luck..

Oh no problem man, I won't :P

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
I've been thinking of making my own as well.. would a Pico PSU be able to power all the boards you'd want to play? CPS2/3, etc.. ?

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I've been thinking of making my own as well.. would a Pico PSU be able to power all the boards you'd want to play? CPS2/3, etc.. ?

I believe so, they have different wattages: http://www.mini-box.com/Power-Supplies-Kits . My only concern would be with the boards that require -5, because the picopsu is a computer power supply, therefore it has only +5V and +12V, but AFAIK no CPS1/2 nor Neo boards require -5V.

Regards.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Sounds like you have most everything planned out. I would recommend adding a jrok sync cleaner just in case you ever want to run a pcb that might have a weird sync or something.

Cps2 boards are already big so why not just make the enclosure big enough for them to sit on top of and use a real arcade psu. That way you'll have all the voltages you would ever need and be able to fine tune them if necessary.

How Will you handle audio?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I use a picopsu in my supergun.

Tested it so far with 1 slot MVS, PGM, cps1 and cps2.

Works fine on all of them. Just make sure to buy an authentic one. Don't save a couple bucks for the knock off one. Those are shit.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Sounds like you have most everything planned out. I would recommend adding a jrok sync cleaner just in case you ever want to run a pcb that might have a weird sync or something.

Cps2 boards are already big so why not just make the enclosure big enough for them to sit on top of and use a real arcade psu. That way you'll have all the voltages you would ever need and be able to fine tune them if necessary.

How Will you handle audio?

For the enclosure I will be using a beat up NES Toaster I found, so space should not be an issue. However, I wanted the MV1C to stay inside at all times (disconnect it to use other boards) so I am not sure if a proper arcade power supply would work for me. Regarding the audio, I was thinking on keeping it mono (JAMMA compliant) and take the output from teh JAMMA edge to the audio in of the TV, but your question leads me to believe I am wrong with that :(

I use a picopsu in my supergun.

Tested it so far with 1 slot MVS, PGM, cps1 and cps2.

Works fine on all of them. Just make sure to buy an authentic one. Don't save a couple bucks for the knock off one. Those are shit.

Thanks for the info broken, very valuableto know for sure the pico can handle my needs. Mind if I ask you the wattage of your picoPSU? also, I believe the original ones are sold on www.mini-box.com, am I right?

Thanks!!

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Thanks for the info broken, very valuableto know for sure the pico can handle my needs. Mind if I ask you the wattage of your picoPSU? also, I believe the original ones are sold on www.mini-box.com, am I right?

Thanks!!

I am using a 80 watt Pico and 60 or 80 watt 12v brick. And yeah, mini-box.com is where you want to buy it. Ebay is a gamble. There are some legit US sellers of Pico psu's, but pretty much anything being sold from China is a clone.

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
20141014_211815.jpg
20141014_211751.jpg

Suzo-Happ 130watt PSU

Jrok video converter

Jasenhicks custom case

RGBs passthrew (PVM direct support) via 220 resistors+lm1881 sync stripper+low pass noise filter.

Because I posted it... Prepare for incoming messages of hate/squirrel pictures/etc.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
Because I posted it... Prepare for incoming messages of hate/squirrel pictures/etc.

Then why post anything you worthless sack of shit?

Still mad no one wanted you in Slashchat you fucking yokel?

Or are you mad that no one wants you within 50 yards of any MA meet-up?

Last edited:

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
Then why post anything you worthless sack of shit?

Still mad no one wanted you in Slashchat you fucking yokel?

Or are you mad that no one wants you within 50 yards of any MA meet-up?

Both of you need to chill out.

Thanks for the tip on the pico PSU. Any particular amperage that would suffice? Did I read correctly that it couldn't do -5v?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Suzo-Happ 130watt PSU

Jrok video converter

Jasenhicks custom case

RGBs passthrew (PVM direct support) via 220 resistors+lm1881 sync stripper+low pass noise filter.

And how is any of that relevant to the thread and the OP's questions?

That's why people don't like you; you're just dumb.

Thanks for the tip on the pico PSU. Any particular amperage that would suffice? Did I read correctly that it couldn't do -5v?

You can look through the spec sheets over each of the different pico's to see which would work best for you.

And yeah, no -5v rail. Easy enough to rectify with a 7905 voltage regulator and small heatsink or a Negatron.

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
You passed up my supergun for a Jasen model? Thanks.

I decided the time had come for me to build my own.

Jasen made (I've mentioned before I do not do powertools) the case, and thats it (btw it was also the single most expensive part in that build coming in at 2x the price of the Jrok).

It was not pre assembled in the slightest... Have you seen his prices for a complete working out of the box SG??? Damn!

I made the stripper/clamping board from single components.
Something I gained experience doing while working with the Omega (see image below) on my PVM... I have YOU alone to thank for that!

Note the signature hotglue ;)
20140807_093833-1.jpg

When it comes to pre-made, ready to go SG's XX/JNX is still/always my first choice and thats no BS!

To my fan club (DK/Broken/Skips)... Incoming messages of hate? You guys do not disappoint! Oh wait, where is NeoTurf with my squirrel pics?

:-J

Skips

Belnar Institute Student

Jasen made (I've mentioned before I do not do powertools) the case, and thats it (btw it was also the single most expensive part in that build coming in at 2x the price of the Jrok).

It was not pre assembled in the slightest... Have you seen his prices for a complete working out of the box SG??? Damn!

I made the stripper/clamping board from single components.
Something I gained experience doing while working with the Omega (see image below) on my PVM... I have YOU alone to thank for that!

Note the signature hotglue ;)
View attachment 19903

When it comes to pre-made, ready to go SG's XX/JNX is still/always my first choice and thats no BS!

To my fan club (DK/Broken/Skips)... Incoming messages of hate? You guys do not disappoint! Oh wait, where is NeoTurf with my squirrel pics?

:-J

Only shitty modders hot glue solder joints like that. Hows that instead of squirrel messages? At least you did not candle heat an x-acto blade to butcher holes in it.

P.S. Didn't you say you were leaving after leaching off the community or did you decide to stick it out and keep being a member here.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member

(I've mentioned before I do not do powertools)

I'd say man up and at the very least use a Dremel man.

Clean up the JAMMA harness, plenty of wire management options out there.

See below.

Recommendations/opinions are very welcome guys.

- Don't use hot glue when it isn't necessary at all.

- Take your time and don't go halfassed. To include money wise.

- You are already asking for advice from experienced modders which is a good start.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I'd say man up and at the very least use a Dremel man.

Clean up the JAMMA harness, plenty of wire management options out there.

See below.

- Don't use hot glue when it isn't necessary at all.

- Take your time and don't go halfassed. To include money wise.

- You are already asking for advice from experienced modders which is a good start.

Thanks for your help, ReplicaX. I generally try to follow these guidelines, especially regarding hot glue (do not want to be the next Drakon, hahaha) and try to take the time to get good results both from a working and appearance point of view.

mikey

Marked Wolf
Another addition for superguns is to include a pseudo stereo circuit for the mono output. You can make it switchable to support stereo games as well. It takes the mono sound, bypasses the low and high end to a second channel, but puts some of the mid frequencies out of phase in the process, creating a simulated stereo effect. Definitely not necessary, but I put it in my supergun just for kicks and it's kind of cool. I built on of the ones off this site:

http://www.armory.com/~rstevew/Public/SoundSynth/00_PenfoldSynth/pench4.html

I also found the RGB to component converter they've been working on over at Sega-16 works really well. It's worked perfectly with every console and arcade pcb I plugged into it. Also, it can be made really cheaply. I think I built mine for $15 or so. Might be a good alternative if you're looking to save some money on the build.

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?22237-New-RGB-to-Component-converter-design-using-the-BA7230LS

Last edited:

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Another addition for superguns is to include a pseudo stereo circuit for the mono output. You can make it switchable to support stereo games as well. It takes the mono sound, bypasses the low and high end to a second channel, but puts some of the mid frequencies out of phase in the process, creating a simulated stereo effect. Definitely not necessary, but I put it in my supergun just for kicks and it's kind of cool. I built on of the ones off this site:

http://www.armory.com/~rstevew/Public/SoundSynth/00_PenfoldSynth/pench4.html

I also found the RGB to component converter they've been working on over at Sega-16 works really well. It's worked perfectly with every console and arcade pcb I plugged into it. Also, it can be made really cheaply. I think I built mine for $15 or so. Might be a good alternative if you're looking to save some money on the build.

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?22237-New-RGB-to-Component-converter-design-using-the-BA7230LS

Which schematics did you use?

mikey

Marked Wolf
Which schematics did you use?

For the pseudo stereo circuit? I used this one:
Fig53.gif

Here is a perfboard layout for it I drew up:
Pseudo Stereo LF353.png

The light blue lines are jumpers, and the black lines are traces under the board. Here is a parts list for the project as well:

Group Name Value Part # Quantity

Capacitors C1 100uf 1
Capacitors C2 0.47uf 1
Capacitors C3, C4 22nf 2
Capacitors C5 10uf 1
Circuit boards Board 14x14 1
Integrated circuits IC1, IC2 LF353 2
Resistors R1, R2 4k7 2
Resistors R3 100k 1
Resistors R4, R5, R6, R7, R8, R9 10k 6

You don't have to use an LF353 either, any other dual opamp should work fine. I used NE5532's in my build.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
How does this pseudo stereo work? is it like the NES one where some shannels sound left and the rest right? I didn't get your explenation before, sorry.

Thanks!!