Hello! New Member from Northeast US

Rick Dangerous

Quiz Detective
Greetings! My name is Rick V and i'm a long time gamer and collector from Vermont in the Northeast US. I got my first NES and Gameboy around 1989 or so, maybe 90, and have been collecting and gaming ever since. I have a large collection and a good deal of it is 80's but I focus mainly on 90's systems; and the Neo-Geo was my last to own!

I have a Neo Geo CD, with about 11 games, and more recently an Omega MVS with 6 games; one of which is the 161 in 1.

I'm currently looking for inserts for shock boxes as i'm big on casing up my cartridges to look good and keep the dust out.

I'm 35, married, two kids, and also enjoy cars, motorcycles, boats, music, movies, vintage tech of all types, a good read, and the outdoors.

Looking forward to meeting you all and seeing you in the threads!

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I aint Shawn.... that email address even has my name in it dumbass...

xROTx

PS. Welcome...

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I know I'm looking forward to meeting you in the threads.

giphy.gif

Rick Dangerous

Quiz Detective
Thanks guys!

So i noticed Kraut Busters is getting a second print and is $500 us dollars. Wowza!

Guess i'm going to need to re-calibrate my expectations on price of games......lol. Do many of you drop $500 on a game?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Many of us dropped $500 on a NeoSD which as you can imagine is a superior option over any single game.

Gog

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
So, your forum name. You a fan of frustrating Euro platformers or just a truly dangerous individual?

Rick Dangerous

Quiz Detective
Both; my real name is Rick; and I enjoy the Rick Dangerous port for the Atari Jaguar, so it's just a natural fit :)

I have just about every Everdrive, and a few SD solutions for other systems like Lynx, 2600 etc, so will certainly be investing in a a MVS SD when more are available at Stone Age Gamer.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Guess i'm going to need to re-calibrate my expectations on price of games......lol. Do many of you drop $500 on a game?

Honestly, most of us laugh at people who are buying these games these days. The NG: Dev games are kind of an exception, as you can buy it, play it a while, and sell it for about the same amount of money, but otherwise homecart collecting is for noobs with more money than brains these days and us old timers mock them.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Welcome to the site Rick

What are your favorite neo games out of what you currently have?

Rick Dangerous

Quiz Detective
Welcome to the site Rick

What are your favorite neo games out of what you currently have?

Hey! So i grew up playing Metal Slug in the arcades; always loved that series. More recently Neo Turfmasters is an epic game that I cannot get enough of. I also really enjoy the beat em' ups; Mutation Nation and Burning Fight are my top two at the moment.

Overtop and Neo Drift Out are my two favorite racers; and Pulstar and Blazing start are my two favorite schmups currently.

I look forward to picking up Treasure of the Carribean soon as i like puzzle games.

Fighting games i'm not huge on; but Real Bout came with my NGCD and i'm enjoying it and doing pretty well. I also bought KOF 98' on my switch and that's a good time as well.

Much more of the library to explore! Looking forward to getting into it when my Omega gets in with the 161 multi cart.

What do you guys reccomend? How do you like the Mr. Do! for Neo Geo? Big fan of the game on Colecovision and SNES.

Rick Dangerous

Quiz Detective
Yeah; i'll say this; i'm not a 1% who will be collecting AES games; or even US Neo Geo CD games. The ships has sailes.

I'm fine with multi carts, SD Carts, repros, etc. I just want to play the games on original hardware. I do plan to collect my very favorite loose MVS carts; and put them in some nice shock boxes. I collect cart an manual for many systems; but for Neo Geo there is no need; the games were some of the first to have a "digital manual" built in (How to play.)

Also---love gaming on my Switch. I consider it my portable Neo Geo. That being said i've noticed Winjammers plays better on my Neo Geo CD than it does on Switch. There's something about the OEM hardware/games that is just better.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Much more of the library to explore! Looking forward to getting into it when my Omega gets in with the 161 multi cart.

What do you guys recommend?

Well, the 161 multi lacks some absolutely crucial releases like Twinkle Stars Sprites, Waku Waku 7, NAM-1975, Cyber-Lip, Windjammers, Ninja Master's etc., but it's still a nice b/c inexpensive alternative to skinny-dip in the Neo library.

Once you're done with the obvious hits, I do recommend to try the following...

1. Money Puzzle Exchanger (puzzle) -- Almost as good as Magical Drop III, but more methodical.

2. Savage Reign (versus fighter) -- For a long time a thought Kizuna Encounter, the second part of this short series, was the better game. I was wrong. Savage Reign features the crown achievement of Fatal Fury's two-lane system, it's like fighting in 3D now, with the zoom feature put into full use and your fighter's weapon flying into or out of the background. All because of the shift in height of the second lane. Each stage has practically two backgrounds, since, once you fight on one level, you're zoomed in and see only a part of it. Mind you: It's not a game for a Neo-phyte, it takes a while to recognize and appreciate all the brilliant parts of it, all of them are 100% pure, unrefined SNK, though.

Galaxy Fight (versus fighter) -- Not featured on the 161, but a very important title nevertheless. You'll enjoy it for its innovative approach, the constant dashing. All of it wrapped into the most adorable Sunsoft charm. The AI works a lot like in Samurai Shodown III, where each and every of your opponents demands a certain strategy, which, once discovered, you begin to exploit. It takes a while to grasp how it works, once you do, though, it becomes very addictive.

Blue's Journey, Spinmaster & Top Hunter (jump 'n run) -- Neo's three big platform games. Personally, I like Blue's Journey best for its most imaginative designs, but the trip to discover which one is your favorite out of this trio... this is the real treat. Enjoy!

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member

Rick Dangerous

Quiz Detective
Hey all! Yes working with a forum member now to buy some of his doubles for loose MVS carts; then will case them up. I've very organized and will post some pictures of my collection/game room later on down the line in that area. I keep my conrollers in bins behind the couch, or a drawer outside my game room for just controllers.

Having a blast exploring the Neo Geo library, played mostly Top Hunter this weekend and some Last Resort. Both super fun. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction and giving me a few hot tips on what to check out! Cheers'

Rick Dangerous

Quiz Detective
How many posts do you need before you can PM someone? Do not see the option to do it yet.

Looking for James or "Xain Xi" for Ironclad/Ghostlop reproductions.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
How many posts do you need before you can PM someone? Do not see the option to do it yet.

Looking for James or "Xain Xi" for Ironclad/Ghostlop reproductions.

Thanks!

Muhahahahahhahaha!

Rot strikes again... STEALTH style....

xROTx