HDMI to VGA or YUV?

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
So I'm trying to find out if someone makes a video converter to convert an HDMI signal to Component video or even VGA.

I'm finding lots of converters that convert things to HDMI, but not from HDMI.

I did find a DVI to Component converter on Monoprice. But it's listed as being used for a PC video card application. So not sure if I could get an HDMI to DVI cable then use the DVI to Component converter.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Looks like I'll have to give that a go. Been wondering how I was going to connect my Xbox One to the Loewe since it has no HDMI or DVI. No idea why something ike that wasn't popping up on the sites I was looking for. Thanks.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
So amazingly it actually works. Ran it on my 360 outputting 1080i & 1080P and it worked fine for both.

Couldn't get it to run reliably on my cable box though. Set the box to 1080i, plug in the cable/converter. It'd recognize that an HDMI cable was plugged in and set the output to HDMI. And for about 1 second it'd display perfectly fine. Then it'd just go to rainbow colored snow. :(

But, the whole point of it was to run the Xbone on it. So hoping it works just as well as it did on the 360. That is whenever I get around to actually opening my Xbone...

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I'm pretty sure a lot of HDMI devices won't work with converters thanks to security protocols in HDMI itself. I'm not surprised at all your cable box wouldn't work with it, and honestly, I'm amazed it works with the xbox360. Hopefully it works with your xbone... if I recall right, someone I work with said they won't work with PS4s. Good luck.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I'm pretty sure a lot of HDMI devices won't work with converters thanks to security protocols in HDMI itself. I'm not surprised at all your cable box wouldn't work with it, and honestly, I'm amazed it works with the xbox360. Hopefully it works with your xbone... if I recall right, someone I work with said they won't work with PS4s. Good luck.
Here's what I understand.....
That cable box most likely has HDCP which the box is probably blocking. As far as the PS3/4 is concerned, I had to buy a HDCP stripper for me to be able grab footage. Now I have heard, (not sure if this is true) the Xbone turns the HDCP off when playing a game but a Video encoded disc, DVD or Blu Ray, would have it turned on. 360's don't have the HDCP as it doesn't do HD video, haven't tried to grab footage from the HD-DVD player, but I'm sure it's the same way.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
So amazingly it actually works. Ran it on my 360 outputting 1080i & 1080P and it worked fine for both.

Couldn't get it to run reliably on my cable box though. Set the box to 1080i, plug in the cable/converter. It'd recognize that an HDMI cable was plugged in and set the output to HDMI. And for about 1 second it'd display perfectly fine. Then it'd just go to rainbow colored snow. :(

But, the whole point of it was to run the Xbone on it. So hoping it works just as well as it did on the 360. That is whenever I get around to actually opening my Xbone...

The rainbow coloring is a anti pirating device if I remember right. Early model dvd players did this if you tried to pass the AV through a VCR. I remember playing many hours of GTA3 on the PS2 when it came out and I was to poor to get a TV with AV in!

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
The HDCP explanation makes a lot of sense. Would guess it's most likely right.

And I don't ever watch DVD's on the 360. Don't plan on DVD/BD on the Xbone. So hopefully it'll be all good.

If it's not, where does one find an HDCP stripper? Never looked for such a thing. Not sure where I'd start other than possibly feebay.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I'm not surprised at all your cable box wouldn't work with it, and honestly, I'm amazed it works with the xbox360. Hopefully it works with your xbone...

Yeah, I was super surprised it actually worked at all. For what was it, $8 shipped I figured it'd be junk if it even worked at all. I didn't do extensive tests, but it looked great on the 360.

I had to buy a HDCP stripper for me to be able grab footage.

This the kinda thing you're talking about?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-720P-1080P-Composite-AV-CVBS-L-R-Audio-HDMI-to-HDMI-HD-Video-Converter-/321207737899?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item4ac9791e2b

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
The HDCP explanation makes a lot of sense. Would guess it's most likely right.

And I don't ever watch DVD's on the 360. Don't plan on DVD/BD on the Xbone. So hopefully it'll be all good.

If it's not, where does one find an HDCP stripper? Never looked for such a thing. Not sure where I'd start other than possibly feebay.

I literally bought this one 4 days ago, got it in last night and it works like a champ.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004F9LVXC/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It seems it's the ViewHD brand, I'm going to order another one next week for the bedroom, using a non-HDCP display and have just bought a Blu-Ray player.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Thanks for the model you're using that works.

Amazon can suck my ass. But I found it on eBay for the same price. Will certainly try one out if I have any issues running my Xbone with the VGA converter.

arbormatt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
I literally bought this one 4 days ago, got it in last night and it works like a champ.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004F9LVXC/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It seems it's the ViewHD brand, I'm going to order another one next week for the bedroom, using a non-HDCP display and have just bought a Blu-Ray player.
Thanks for the advice panda. This will come in handy. I didn't want to have to upgrade my receiver for an extra hdmi out and I was getting tired of swapping cables between the projector and plasma. Just ordered.