HBO Max hits Roku tomorrow, PS5 today

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
They finally got a deal done so tomorrow, Thursday 12/17 they will finally release the HBO Max app on Roku.

It has also been released on PS5, Amazon Fire devices, and they fixed the Linux and Chromebook support that they had earlier bricked in an update.

So I think pretty much all major devices have an app now except the LG Smart OS. They should've had this shit figured out before launch.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Sweet, i can watch Fresh Prince now...I missed out on Raised by Wolves, was that worth watching?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
What’s on HBO Max that I would want to watch?

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
What’s on HBO Max that I would want to watch?
Supposedly all of WB's 2021 theatrical releases, although we'll see if that actually happens after all the pushback from directors, actors, theaters, etc.

neogeostore

Overtop Pathfinder
Supposedly all of WB's 2021 theatrical releases, although we'll see if that actually happens after all the pushback from directors, actors, theaters, etc.

There's a lot of pushback, but there's nothing directors, etc. can do. That said, Legendary Entertainment financed about 75% of Dune and they're supposedly trying to challenge Warner's decision. However, they also financed about the same amount of Godzilla vs. Kong and WarnerMedia (parent company of Warner Bros.) blocked them from selling it to Netflix for about $250 million. Legendary is especially pissed because Warner let them know about the HBO Max decision only about 30 min before their public announcement (probably because they were afraid of the news leaking early).

It's an uphill battle, though. Remember-- AT&T owns WarnerMedia, which owns Warner Bros., and--wait for it...HBO Max. AT&T is fighting to survive. As of the end of 2019, they held $150 BILLION in debt, and obviously, the pandemic hurt them even more. Their stock price is down over 20% over the past year. HBO Max's launch has so far been abysmal, so they decided to sacrifice Warner Bros.' entire 2021 slate as a desperate act to make a huge splash with the audience and prop up HBO Max. They know that even though many theaters are open, it's still less than half of them, and much of the audience will still avoid going because they don't feel safe.

AT&T felt this was the best choice of a bunch of shitty options.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Who are you, and why are you returning after 20 years? Everything OK at home bro?

neogeostore

Overtop Pathfinder
Who are you, and why are you returning after 20 years? Everything OK at home bro?

I used to own this domain, neo-geo.com. I also owned neogeostore.com, but I gave it up a long time ago after I sold all my inventory to Shawn, along with neo-geo.com. I had all but 3 AES carts as of 1999, but I sold everything because my wife had an accident and hasn't been able to work since. The next year, when SNK was going tits up in Los Angeles, one of the employees sold me all the NGPC stuff they had, and I opened neogeostore.com to sell it all. I had sold like half of it when I made a deal with Shawn to buy the rest of it and neo-geo.com. Turns out I still have like 30 or so AES carts laying around and 4-5 AES systems, but I sold all the mega-valuable stuff a long time ago.

I come back here occasionally to see what's up. I'm more active in different chat groups since the pandemic, lol. We haven't had a visitor to our home in 10 months. I talk to all my DeLorean friends on Zoom and group text. Other than that, I try to be active on some of my other hobby chat groups just to get more social interaction.

Thanks--was cool of you to ask. =)

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Christmas is in a week. Thank you for selling the domain to Shawn, it has resulted in the delightment of thousands of people.

Have a good one. Life is hard. I'm glad you didn't leave your wife after her accident.

Life is too short to care too much about video games. I'm 3.5L in. Merry Christmas bro.

neogeostore

Overtop Pathfinder
Christmas is in a week. Thank you for selling the domain to Shawn, it has resulted in the delightment of thousands of people.

Have a good one. Life is hard. I'm glad you didn't leave your wife after her accident.

Life is too short to care too much about video games. I'm 3.5L in. Merry Christmas bro.

Thanks, but I can't take any credit. Shawn turned it into the best Neo resource, bar none.

My wife and I have been married 25 years--lots of ups and downs, but we're stuck with each other. =)

Merry Christmas to you too, bro. 8 AM here. Guess I should go to bed, lol.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
interesting thread. some ng history and also something that has been an issue for all my roku devices.

I was really confused when hbomax first launched and I couldn't find stuff on my HBO roku app. Little did I know it was a shitshow behind the scenes. I went back to pirating, but I'm glad I don't have to anymore.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
So HBO is still a premium cable channel too?

Is HBO Now (what I watched game of thrones on) still a thing?

famicommander

15 Year Member
So HBO is still a premium cable channel too?

Is HBO Now (what I watched game of thrones on) still a thing?

Yes, HBO the cable channel still exists. With most cable providers if you pay for HBO you automatically get access to HBO Max. If you pay for Max alone you still get to watch HBO shows on demand anyway.

HBO Now and HBO Go have been merged into Max.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
So this is essentially a rebrand of HBO Now...in order to get more subs?

The movie thing seems enticing but IDK. I have shit audio for my tv.

famicommander

15 Year Member
So this is essentially a rebrand of HBO Now...in order to get more subs?

The movie thing seems enticing but IDK. I have shit audio for my tv.

This is HBO Now + the rest of the Warner Media library to make a true competitor to Disney+ and Netflix.

All shows that were on DC Universe except Stargirl have been switched to HBO Max and renewed (Harley Quinn, Titans, Young Justice, Doom Patrol). All the stuff from Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, TBS, TNT, classic Looney Tunes, HBO, The CW, etc.

All the mega corporations are consolidating their shit into one streaming service.

Disney is going to merge Hulu and Disney+ soon.

CBS will likely merge Showtime/CBS All Access/Paramount+. Sony has bought Funimation and Crunchyroll and will likely fold them into Crackle.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Interesting. I’ll see how it fans out. I’ve dropped most of my subs. I have a Hulu and Disney plus bundle at the moment but once Mando S2 is over I’ll drop it.

I would like to watch the new Star Trek.

Other than that I have Amazon video because I have prime. Amazon has some OK stuff. Looking forward to next season of the Expanse and the final season of Bosch.

Last edited:

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Quick heads up... AT&T has been ninja-enhancing some ISP/TV accounts like Gigabit internet by adding HBO Max for free. I just noticed recently they did it to my account, so if I log in to HBO Max with AT&T credentials now then I get it without paying anything extra. I'm checking out His Dark Materials, Watchmen, and Lovecraft Country.

Last edited:

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Yeah I've had cable and HBO table d'hôte with my cellphone for a few years now.

Not even a year ago they kicked me off one of the cable plan and put me on another. I didn't care i was a few bucks cheaper. Now I saw they stop taking subscribers for that package I have. + now and it needs an update and sign in nearly everyday making me not want to use it.

They had like 30 different cable internet satellite streaming services not to long ago. A bunch of the brass had to have been stimulants