Have you ever played multiplayer on shooters?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
For me this genre has always been strictly single-player. Games like Gradius, R-Type, etc. were not games that I'd want to play with other people. Any shooter, really.

I played with @Segata_Sanshiro many years ago, he hasn't logged in here close to ten years though. And of course ilazul's meet-ups.

But as a genre, I never wanted to play multiplayer with others.

How about you?

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I hate playing shmups with friends, it just gets confusing as all hell on screen and turns into a credit feed. Beat em ups on the other hand I don't mind.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Great question.

Very very rarely.

I mean we don’t really see two player 1cc videos often.

Now I’m wondering if I could ever 1cc a game with somebody that’s two player.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Only with my best friends and even then we would learn who took what enemies or who got which "safe spot" during certain patterns.

Some games it's OK, some it's meh. Gigawing2 for example if you both well time alternating reflects, you can pretty much walk it.

Thinking back we played a lot of Mars Matrix and Zero Gunner 2 in particular.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
What Sk8 said. GigaWing 2 in particular for me and mines…4p alternating force reflects, is like telling the game ‘why you hittin’ yourself?’

Also; Daioh. Not even to co-op, but to gank power ups from P2, and see who could last the longest. It’s almost Twinkle Star Sprites at that point.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Occasionally, with a friend, or my younger brother, when I was a teen, but, I prefer the single player experience in shooters. I agree that it can get too chaotic/confusing with 2 ships on the screen and projectiles flying everywhere.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
I have really a really good memory of credit-feeding through a shmup with my older brother at an arcade airport before a flight. I still don't know what game it was, it was a more modern shooter so probably Strikers 1999 or something. We for sure spent at least $8 in quarters total, and at one point one of us had to sprint as fast as we could back to the waiting area to get more money from my mom while the other tried to stay alive on their last credit. I also have really good memories of 2 player Raiden and especially Outzone with my brother. Shmups are good "little brother" games I guess :lolz:

As an adult, I can't convince anyone to play ANY old arcade game with me, let alone a shooter
I probably wouldn't want to anyway, like M said it's too chaotic.
Someone should make a shmup designed around co-op. Untapped market

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
There have been times, when I was playing a 2P shooter, when I briefly couldn't even tell which ship was mine! 🤣

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Back in the days I had a friend that teamed up with me on Twin Cobra and 1943. Both of us on Twin Cobra always had mixed power ups that easily took out the enemies. He was nowhere as good as myself on 1943 however the nice feature about that game is the ability to siphon energy from the other player so it was all good. Going into a mothership battle with both planes in super shotgun mode was cool and nothing beats dual shell mode against the giant planes onslaught as it takes then out before they can fire a shot at you.

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
I like shmups and am decent at them though not to 1cc level. My friends don't play shmups but I've cajoled them into doing multiplayer with me on occasion. Basically it would be me doing the bulk of the progressing and destroying bosses, so I'd be dragging my friends along in a game like the original Raiden, while they use up my lives.

Last time I did multiplayer in a bullet hell shmup was in DDP DOJ. We got through the whole thing based on my playing. My friend didn't enjoy it at all and regularly lost track of where his ship was and couldn't get acclimated to dodging the waves of bullets. Hed regularly say "I literally have no idea what's going on right now" frequently throughout the playthrough.

If I was trying to go for score or 1cc I'd do it alone, but just for a survival experience and to have something to do while chatting with friends, multiplayer in shmups is a nice option.

I've never played multiplayer with someone who is skilled at shmups so that would be interesting to try one day.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
One of those WWII shooters on a PS2 comp. Fun if you are just trying to have fun but can't be real serious. Those games are hard enough with just you on the screen.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Yes - totally. I played R-Type Leo with Raz at the miisalo meating (honestly: we just cred fed that one) and I still consider Gigawing 2 on the Dreamcast a great party game. We actually played that at work at a christmas party with 4 players and a group limit of 12 creds.
Totally "non-serious" gaming, totally awesome times.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
I would argue that Ikaruga is way better when played as a deathmatch game, since you can't directly overlap the other player. You can intentionally cause awkward combinations of revenge bullets when they are in front, push them into lasers/walls, etc. Good times.

Games with heavy rank manipulation are also funny in coop. For example, I watched a buddy cruise through Ibara in a convention gameroom, because some newbie kept joining in and insta-dying.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I don’t think I ever have unless we consider Ikari Warriors one? I don’t even really consider shmups 2 player because I’m usually going for score.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
How about shooters that are built for MP? Thinking of Twinkle Star Sprites here.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
miisalo meating
giphy.gif

Yeah 2P is just silly, silly for even being an option.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
I live playing with a 2nd player absolutely love it. Beat every Genesis shooter that allowed it Gamora and bio hazard battle were great. Theres too many to count for the genesis actually now that i think of it.

Any more than 2 is stupid though. I had giga wing 2 and its pretty chaotic youre just wishing for more screen space at that point with 3 or 4 players.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The problem with 2 player games is when they up the difficulty way too much. I don't mind a slight difficulty adjustment but most games simply double shit. So I can't play with someone who is a more novice player (unless it is unlimited credits or something).

I just tried to play the new switch Wild Guns with my 5 year old. Nope.... And no option to reduce the difficulty in multiplayer.
-Most unfun.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Yes - totally. I played R-Type Leo with Raz at the miisalo meating (honestly: we just cred fed that one) and I still consider Gigawing 2 on the Dreamcast a great party game. We actually played that at work at a christmas party with 4 players and a group limit of 12 creds.
Totally "non-serious" gaming, totally awesome times.
giphy.gif

Yeah 2P is just silly, silly for even being an option.
It's called meating for a reason. You should try to visit some time and grab one of those pulled pork burgers.

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
My kids want to play 2 player shmups. They love Dogyuun and it's really fun to play with them because we end up just trying to absorb each others ship to make the big giant ship

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
My kids want to play 2 player shmups. They love Dogyuun and it's really fun to play with them because we end up just trying to absorb each others ship to make the big giant ship
Zero Gunner 2 is a great multi-player for kids/friends

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
My friends use to play Lifeforce together a lot on the NES.

Right now i have the iiRcade and my son and I always plays the Toaplan shooters and the other shmups.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
On 360 there's a free download shmup called Aegis Wing. 4 Player coop, and the ships can combine into a giant mega-ship with one player flying and the others aiming their attachment like a turret. Nothing amazing, but for coop with kids could be fun.