Hardcore Metal Fans Get Your Ass In Here!!

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
PS Don't misunderstand, I love "metalcore" "metallic hardcore" whatever you want to refer to it as. There's just been some trends here and there that are fun to mock a little bit, especially I think in the early 2010s. I agree with you there is def a long history of metal and HC intermingling, all the way back to "Crossover"

I agree that it's fun to make fun of stuff that sucks. My list of metalcore/"metallic hardcore" albums that I really enjoy is a short one, and 99% of it was released before the year 2000, so yeah I totally think most of it deserves to be made fun of.

But, that meme lacks self-awareness. It's oversimplification doesn't seem to be a "troll" either. And I'm clearly not part of the choir it's preaching to.

IT'S NOT HOW I'D MAKE FUN OF METALCORE.

geise

Mickey's Coach
Heard that new Primitive Man a few months ago. Some super heavy shit. That Necrot I listened too a few days ago. Really dig it. Good newer old school style DM.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I agree that it's fun to make fun of stuff that sucks. My list of metalcore/"metallic hardcore" albums that I really enjoy is a short one, and 99% of it was released before the year 2000, so yeah I totally think most of it deserves to be made fun of.

But, that meme lacks self-awareness. It's oversimplification doesn't seem to be a "troll" either. And I'm clearly not part of the choir it's preaching to.

IT'S NOT HOW I'D MAKE FUN OF METALCORE.

tumblr_lgj05eIguT1qftzgfo1_500.jpg

This is how I would make fun of metalcore, lol

Here's the thing about that that ATG thing though - my reaction was based in playing in bands around 10 years ago (playing drums). A bunch of different younger guys I was playing music with were trying to do basically the latest thing and they had no idea about metal's influence really in hardcore. They would hate on metal and I would be like, you know you are trying to copy off a band that copied off of ATG, which is in fact, very metal

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
View attachment 57778

This is how I would make fun of metalcore, lol

Here's the thing about that that ATG thing though - my reaction was based in playing in bands around 10 years ago (playing drums). A bunch of different younger guys I was playing music with were trying to do basically the latest thing and they had no idea about metal's influence really in hardcore. They would hate on metal and I would be like, you know you are trying to copy off a band that copied off of ATG, which is in fact, very metal

Yeah, but this "meme" basically says the primary way to determine a band's genre is by fashion style.

Pretty shortsighted if you ask me.

Hardcore is a jock farting on the shoulders of a bunch of sweaty bros? I guess, but if the metal influence is prominent enough, it might still be metalcore.

I find all memes unfunny anyways.

It sounds like those young people you were playing music with were really young, or dorks.

Last edited:

Knud

Krauser's Shoe Shiner

Amon Amarth is one of my top metal bands. Surtur rising and Twilight of the thunder god being my top albums, but i like them all.
Can listen to they're albums without having to skip over songs.

The best metal comes from Sweden IMO

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I mean you could make a hundred different incarnations of that "meme" with other albums and genres (which actually seems like a fun thing to do come to think of it).

But, there are just as many metalcore bands (if not more) with no melodic death metal influence than there are bands with one.

Yeah man, and that's the only reason I posted it, because I prefer melodic death metal over metalcore. Come to think of it, I only really got into Killswitch Engage and a bit of Lamb of God back in the day. When it comes to melodic death, as I said, AtG is where I start and finish (and The Red in the Sky is Ours is my favourite release of theirs, followed by Gardens of Grief, so make of that what you will).

I guess I'm not really in a position to be discussing either genre.

Last edited:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I'd much prefer to listen to old ways Polish Black Metal like this from Thorncastle and Blood Stronghold.
Fronted by veteran Wened Wilk Sławibor, who is probably one of the hardest working men in European black metal today.

Those howls.. and he drums like a beast!

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Yeah man, and that's the only reason I posted it, because I prefer melodic death metal over metalcore. Come to think of it, I only really got into Killswitch Engage and a bit of Lamb of God back in the day. When it comes to melodic death, as I said, AtG is where I start and finish (and The Red in the Sky is Ours is my favourite release of theirs, followed by Gardens of Grief, so make of that what you will).

I guess I'm not really in a position to be discussing either genre.

Sure. From what I've gathered over the years, the style is not your thing and you're also a man of great taste :cool:

BUT since I'm on a nitpicking roll : Lamb of God isn't and never has been metalcore. They're a meathead mosh metal band who basically (at least initially, I've only really heard their albums from 2001 and 2003) play a more "extreme" version of what Pantera did. Granted, A LOT of metalcore is musically 100% "mosh metal", and is essentially a continuation of 90's Pantera, Sepultura and Slayer etc. But when a band of that style has ties to a hardcore scene, plays with hardcore bands, is on a hardcore label, or "dresses like a hardcore band" it becomes metalcore. Lamb of God doesn't have any hardcore roots.

And on the topic of Killswitch Engage, well they're corny, and totally set the template for the most widely replicated style of metalcore to come (melodic death metal leads and riffing + chugs + crooning choruses). But, the band was created out of several bands from western Massachusetts (and Rhode Island) who were ahead of their time in the 90's.

Original singer from Killswitch Engage circa 1995

Bassist from Killswitch Engage circa 1994

Guitarist and drummer from Killswitch Engage circa 1999

EDIT: Posting metalcore in the metal thread is like posting about Mario Bros in General. I'm sorry, but you brought it up, not me!

Last edited:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Hey man, I really appreciate you breaking it down (see what I did there?) for me and yes, I did bring it up, and more than humbled to be schooled in any genre of metal I know little about, clearly metalcore is one of them.

Listening to Corrin right now and I like what I hear!

Edit - Preferred Overcast more.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Hey man, I really appreciate you breaking it down (see what I did there?) for me and yes, I did bring it up, and more than humbled to be schooled in any genre of metal I know little about, clearly metalcore is not one of them.

Listening to Corrin right now and I like what I hear!

Edit - Preferred Overcast more.

Haha yes, I see what you did!

Ultimately, to me, metalcore will always lack an artistic legitimacy that true metal music has. There's no way around it. BUT, the topic and history of the genre is far more complicated than it gets credit for. In a sense, it really was the "New (not nu haha) metal" of the 90's in terms of still playing metal, albeit in a fairly unorthodox way. It's reach was pretty limited to regions and scenes though, so obviously the commercialized form is what people think of when they hear the term, and rightfully so.

Last edited:

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I am loving Thorncastle, never heard of it. The vocals are really cool - reminds me of Ultha a bit

I like Overcast although I only know the couple of tracks they did on a split with Converge a long time ago. I have never heard of Aftershock, I really liked that song I'm going to have to look them up

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Haha yes, I see what you did!

Ultimately, to me, metalcore will always lack an artistic legitimacy that true metal music has. There's no way around it. BUT, the topic and history of the genre is far more complicated than it gets credit for. In a sense, it really was the "New (not nu haha) metal" of the 90's in terms of still playing metal, albeit in a fairly unorthodox way. It's reach was pretty limited to regions and scenes though, so obviously the commercialized form is what people think of when they hear the term, and rightfully so.

Gah, I edited my grammatical error, but you've captured it... clearly I deserve that.

And you just summed it up, man - it's what we think we know in anything "heavy metal" that separates us and exposes the cracks, especially when it comes to surface-level metal, you might get into a chat with, with a new work colleague. Everything runs deeper, and if you don't know, you just don't know it. It's all better under the surface though, in all genres of metal, and understanding what led to what is most important. I know little about hardcore (punk) and it shows.

I am loving Thorncastle, never heard of it. The vocals are really cool - reminds me of Ultha a bit

They only released one demo but it is really great, it reminds me of Austere, an Australian DSBM band (now also split up). You can get it from Tour De Garde in Canada, still I believe.

I am on a big kick of this artist's music right now, especially Blood Stronghold (who's guitarist is ex-Austere), he is in so many projects though....

And for reference...

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I've heard a little bit about this drama prior to reading the article. So, what, Fear Factory, is just Cazares now?

I've never seen them live, but had chances in the past.

I have
some more
god damn
regrets

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I've heard a little bit about this drama prior to reading the article. So, what, Fear Factory, is just Cazares now?

I've never seen them live, but had chances in the past.

I have
some more
god damn
regrets

Ahh, that sucks, man. Fear Factory were my first obsession band. I saw them on three occasions. The best was when I was lucky to see them on their Machines of Hate tour (Demanufacture) where they played an under 18’s gig at The Metro in Sydney, I was 14. I caught one of Dino’s lime green guitar picks. I played and practiced with that pick myself until there was nothing left of it, true story.

Not sure who’s in the band anymore. The last time I saw them they had Gene Hoglan on drums and Christian on guitars.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante

More Swedish stuff - getting back into them because they released a new LP. The new one is good, but really does not contain these raw thrashy elements that made me like the band originally

Last edited:

Knud

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Been refreshing lately the best Icelandic metal band, Skálmöld. The lyrics are in Icelandic and follow strict ancient Icelandic poetic rules and most of they're songs are about Norse mythology and viking heathen times in the nordic countries

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
Been refreshing lately the best Icelandic metal band, Skálmöld. The lyrics are in Icelandic and follow strict ancient Icelandic poetic rules and most of they're songs are about Norse mythology and viking heathen times in the nordic countries

I have to check them out again. Always enjoyed reading Icelandic because I feel I understand like 80% of what it means and I always learn something new. :vik:

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
This is arguably the best metal song of all time: