Happy 30th birthday Art of Fighting

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
You should share.
Have to dig a bit deeper I guess I only managed to find the AoF2 notes. Mind in these notes I didn't care for correct terminology for special moves, etc. - so it might be harder for others to read

AoF2
Robert: various tactics work, firekick, load chi, firekick, etc.
King: Leg sweeps with hard kick, keep the "magic distance"
Temjin: Jump in own corner- when he wants to kick you use a straight fist
Lee: Def/Spirit drain => block => throw => Fireball? (I used FB)
Micky: Standing roundhouse - jump over projectile - duck + roundhouse => repeat. in own corner walljump => fast fist - block roundhouse - see above
Jack: Back standing fierce with distance - block dropkick - throw. When in "infight" - wall jump - throw, alternatively leg sweep. (I'm not sure this was for jack as it is scribbled on the side but could as well be: standing fierce - enemy jumps back - roundhouse him)
Ryo: Go back to the wall - Fierce - block jump of the enemy - throw - fireball - chi - fireball. when the enemy jumps back, roundhouse
John: Go back to the wall - footsweep - block - fireball - block - dash - throw - Fireball? (FB), Footsweep + Kohken
Eiji: I did not "Jen-Zipula" Spam (I guess that is what the move sounds like when spoken in german), I guess it means Zan Retsu Ken + LP spam + Leg sweep
Yuri => Flamekick spam + fists

That's all I found in this notebook, would have to dig a bit for the other stuff, could be I wrote the ones for AoF1 on a sheet which got lost when moving.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
The Genesis port of AOF sounds a bit shit but looks, controls, and plays great. The controls may be even better than the original and the line scrolls in Mickey's stage look fantastic. I was severely disappointed they didn't include a VS CPU version so you could play as the full roster like the SNES one did. It's also missing the new desperation moves from the SNES port but they're not really missed much without a VS CPU mode.

The SNES port is such an all around shitty mess, as bad or worse than the first Fatal Fury port. I think a lot of people play the SNES version then just assume AOF is a shit game, dismissing both the coin-op and MD/PCE ports without playing them.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Happy anniversary to AOF 1, you wonderful janky mix of marrionette-like sprites and strange mechanics.

AOF 2, fuck off.

AOF 3, you're glorious and underappreciated.

With all the different Neo ROM hacks out there, I'm surprised no one has made one for AOF 2 that fixes the AI so it's not so freaking cheap, and makes it so the camera isn't zooming in and out like a kid who got a camcorder for Xmas.

sirlynxalot

Enemy Chaser
Fagit of the Year
I love when Mr Big shoots his fireball and goes "blas...ter" with the slight pause in the middle.

Aof had another gameplay feature I disliked, which was doing a different move (hard or weak) depending on whether you held the button or were tapping it. I'm grateful that this never became standard in the 2d fighting genre.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I love when Mr Big shoots his fireball and goes "blas...ter" with the slight pause in the middle.

Aof had another gameplay feature I disliked, which was doing a different move (hard or weak) depending on whether you held the button or were tapping it. I'm grateful that this never became standard in the 2d fighting genre.
Even worse than that, A and B for light punch and kick, and the C for heavy of whatever you last used. And throwing. And wall kicking.

Devs had to be on crack to think that was a good idea.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Even worse than that, A and B for light punch and kick, and the C for heavy of whatever you last used.

The Genesis AOF allowed a proper 4 button setup for attacks, which was nice. The SNES port has this stupid negative edge thing with the C button attack where the move doesn't come out until you release the button.

The SFC port of AOF2 attempted a proper 4 button setup but still requires a full press (not tap) for fierce attacks, which renders the whole thing pointless.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Happy anniversary to AOF 1, you wonderful janky mix of marrionette-like sprites and strange mechanics.

AOF 2, fuck off.

AOF 3, you're glorious and underappreciated.

With all the different Neo ROM hacks out there, I'm surprised no one has made one for AOF 2 that fixes the AI so it's not so freaking cheap, and makes it so the camera isn't zooming in and out like a kid who got a camcorder for Xmas.

I’m surprised nobody has tried to fix Riding Hero, probably wouldn’t need more than an altered P1 ROM to fix many of its design issues.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I’m surprised nobody has tried to fix Riding Hero, probably wouldn’t need more than an altered P1 ROM to fix many of its design issues.
Make the link mode play more than just the first track.

sirlynxalot

Enemy Chaser
Fagit of the Year
The Genesis AOF allowed a proper 4 button setup for attacks, which was nice. The SNES port has this stupid negative edge thing with the C button attack where the move doesn't come out until you release the button.

The SFC port of AOF2 attempted a proper 4 button setup but still requires a full press (not tap) for fierce attacks, which renders the whole thing pointless.
Wonder if someone could make some kind of macro to do 4 button moves in the neo geo version in emulation.

$CASHMONEY$

Edo Express Delivery Guy
actually have a kit of AOF2 on the way... drinking steadily to increase tolerance