Gundam Model Kit Thread

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
Who's interested in them? Do you paint your models? Only snap together and add stickers?

I got into the kits back then, but I'm starting to get to them again. Favorites are the SD models, since they're pretty damn accurate and more comedic than anything. Also like the other kits that are produced.

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
I do this on the side lol. I'm starting to gt into painting them but still snap together lol.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I've a few kits. Though mostly I use them for miniature war gaming and they are the cheaper snap kits.

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
yes. got my first model last year as birthday present and now im addict to it. its impossible not to, everybody likes model kits here and there are a lot of stores selling gundam kits. i own a few kits. mostly master grade stuff. Sazabi ver ka was my last build.
I paint some of them, specially the High Grades. Sometimes i only paint the inner frames. i always do some top coat.
Im in the middle of this build at the moment. pretty complex stuff for a Gunpla. Its taking me a lot of time.

2175-1024x680.jpg

i can post some of my kits later, witch don't look as sharp as that one...but i think i'm getting better.

Last edited:

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I usually just build mine up and slap the stickers on them.

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
I do this on the side lol. I'm starting to gt into painting them but still snap together lol.

yes. got my first model last year as birthday present and now im addict to it. its impossible not to, everybody likes model kits here and there are a lot of stores selling gundam kits. i own a few kits. mostly master grade stuff. Sazabi ver ka was my last build.
I paint some of them, specially the High Grades. Sometimes i only paint the inner frames. i always do some top coat.
Im in the middle of this build at the moment. pretty complex stuff for a Gunpla. Its taking me a lot of time.

View attachment 17830

i can post some of my kits later, witch don't look as sharp as that one...but i think i'm getting better.

That's awesome! How do you prep for paint? For the detail lines, do you use the Gundam Pens, or do you use Sharpie fine tip markers?

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I got my younger cousin into Transformers and then Gundam so he's been going all out buying models and games. I had a few of the simple kits from the Gundam Wing Series. I didn't go crazy with painting them, most of them I didn't even bother putting the stickers on them. If you're going to look for em' online I like "GundamStoreAndMore" they usually have some sick Black Friday sales where you can get a random Perfect Grade kit SUPER cheap. I didn't know what to get my cousin for Christmas so I just went for a grab bag off the site and he got a couple he didn't have.

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
gundam322.jpgg8.jpgg7.jpg

Great thread. Here are some in arms length right now.
Working of Sinanju as we speak. I own the others from Unicorn, Banshee, Kshatirya and MSN Delta Plus.
I don't paint them, just snap and sticker them. One day I will try to go over some of them with Gundam markers.
Also Professor Denim, good job!

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I was into them a number of years ago. Mostly the HG 1/144 scale because of space concerns. I only went for the 1/10o scale kits when I really wanted something special.

I just recently got back into it and only want to work on MG versions. I only do the builds that are directly from the source or reasonably close to the source (like the Ver.Ka. types). I'm currently working on:

Zeta Gundam MG

On deck:

F91 MG
Crossbones Guindam MG Ver. Ka.
ZZ Gundam MG

I just bought these over the weekend:

RX-93 Nu Gundam MG Ver. Ka.
MSN-04 Sazabi MG Ver. Ka.
RX-178 Mk. II A.E.U.G. MG

I never painted the models. Just used the decals. When I was building the HGs, I felt they were already not quite detailed enough to justify the extra effort. The MG versions, while larger, are so much more detailed that I feel they are solid enough w/decals to not really need paint. I just want some stuff to look cool on my shelf. Don't need to get too crazy with it.

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
I've been doing the 1/144 kits with my son who is 3. They are really fun projects to work on with kids to teach them how to read diagrams, follow instructions and sit still and focus on a project then I let him play with them a little bit too. If I had more time I would build them all the time but I have so many hobbies it's hard to spend a lot of time on them.
Last one I did I just built i and used the stickers and panel lined with a marker and it looks OK. I did the Darius ship last year and I painted the whole model mainly with spray paint but even with only 3 colors and a top coat it became very expensive. If you are going to paint you really need to airbrush which alone is very tedius and requires a nice work area. Next kit I do I think I will just detail, weathering, some marker paint and top coat and I'll be happy with it. I'd love to airbrush eventually maybe when I get more serious with it.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
What kind of marker is best for lining?

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
What kind of marker is best for lining?
Micron fine tip pens. You can get them from art supply stores. There's also Gundam panel lining pens you can get online or where they sell kits. I haven't tried using washes for panel lining but from the pics I've seen that is the best way to get nice lines.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
I got a couple when I was a kid, when Gundam Wing was airing on Toonami. I never had the patience to paint models when I was younger, so I just snapped these together and put the stickers on, not sure where they went though... :(

I had the Shenlong and Deathscythe models, they were pretty pimp. Maybe one day I will start building models again...

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I used to build these a long time ago and saw a few kits recently that peaked my interest. Might snag some cheap ones to get back into it

chronorobo

n00b

View attachment 17830

Wow that is really impressive I dont think I would have the steady hand or patience required to make this!

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
I got my younger cousin into Transformers and then Gundam so he's been going all out buying models and games. I had a few of the simple kits from the Gundam Wing Series. I didn't go crazy with painting them, most of them I didn't even bother putting the stickers on them. If you're going to look for em' online I like "GundamStoreAndMore" they usually have some sick Black Friday sales where you can get a random Perfect Grade kit SUPER cheap. I didn't know what to get my cousin for Christmas so I just went for a grab bag off the site and he got a couple he didn't have.

I really liked the kits that they have on the site, but most of the stock is sold out. It's a bummer because I wanted to get a few kits from that site too. Hobby Link Japan has a great variety of Gundam models (ranging from 1/144 to SD kits), and it seems like they're fairly priced.

View attachment 17862View attachment 17863View attachment 17864

Great thread. Here are some in arms length right now.
Working of Sinanju as we speak. I own the others from Unicorn, Banshee, Kshatirya and MSN Delta Plus.
I don't paint them, just snap and sticker them. One day I will try to go over some of them with Gundam markers.
Also Professor Denim, good job!

Now you've made me determined to find my models! Nice collection btw.

I got a couple when I was a kid, when Gundam Wing was airing on Toonami. I never had the patience to paint models when I was younger, so I just snapped these together and put the stickers on, not sure where they went though... :(

I had the Shenlong and Deathscythe models, they were pretty pimp. Maybe one day I will start building models again...

That's what got me into the models too, Beef. Liked the show so much, that I have all the kits somewhere from Gundam Wing/Endless Waltz. As I realized that there was a section at the JC Penney toy aisle filled with SD models, they slowly disappeared every other week.

I definitely need to redo all of my models with sanding sticks and paint. I'm trying to figure out how one goes about painting the models in general. Is it sand first, prime, and then paint to the accurate colors, or could they just be painted without sanding?

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
I just remember buying some cheap gundam wing models back when they sold them at walmart for cheap. snapped together and put stickers on. they looked like crap. Maybe I'll get more serious if i get back into it someday.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
This thread motivated me to buy the Endless Waltz Heavyarms Custom model off of amazon.

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
The endless waltz gundams are great. I am missing only 1 and the Tall Geese 3 also.