Greetings from Germany

ChoAniki

n00b
People here have been scammed for five figures on a single game by other forum members. This is a completely straight statement of fact, although I wish I was exaggerating. The higher the roller the lower the scammer.
Big ufffff. Man, I would go crazy when I lost that much money. There are so many ways to make decent money but to choose that route is so damn low. Hope such people get what they deserve...

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Big ufffff. Man, I would go crazy when I lost that much money. There are so many ways to make decent money but to choose that route is so damn low. Hope such people get what they deserve...

To be honest…ripping someone off for $40,000 on a bootleg game is probably morally and ethically superior than whatever legal scumfuckery the buyer engaged with on a regular basis to be able to have a disposable $40,000. That’s probably his fee for forclosing on some widow’s house or selling tainted baby formula. Neither side of the transaction looks good. It’s wall to wall dirtbag of one kind or another all the way down.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I do not know why young people get into Neo Geo these days. If you weren't growing up during the time when the console had legendary status, then what's the draw? Most gamers I know around 30 are interested in their PC or Nintendo Switch, not this old stuff. They know little about the hardware limitations or non-Internet-based game market I grew up with.

ChoAniki

n00b
I do not know why young people get into Neo Geo these days. If you weren't growing up during the time when the console had legendary status, then what's the draw? Most gamers I know around 30 are interested in their PC or Nintendo Switch, not this old stuff. They know little about the hardware limitations or non-Internet-based game market I grew up with.
Fair point and for most of the times you hit the nail on the head. In my case it started with getting the N64 and escalated into more and more consoles. You hear about other youtuber talking about other games that look interesting and reminds you of games you already like and then why not, buy the console and try it out :D.

With time I learned more and more about the older stuff I never knew much about and with the Saturn as example, it was somewhat the same as the PS1 (a console I grew up with) so I can say as example that what Radiant Silvergun pulls out of the console is just amazing. Gameplay wise I never played something like that before. Shmups yes but not with that much complexity. Other huge factor for me is music. A lot of older games have so amazing music in it that even when a game is medicore, good music makes it a enjoyable experience (Valis 4 as example). Growing up with early 3D helped a lot getting into the other stuff. I knew before hand how they look and play and can set my expection more fairly then a gamer who just plays modern stuff.

With 8 and 16-bit stuff and in this case with the Neo Geo I can see the huge differences with the other 16-bit consoles and see the Neo Geo still as a absolute powerhouse. In general 16-bit aged a lot better and still looks good, probably a factor some younger folks can get into it more easily. Arcade games need to more into your face so you get much more intense gameplay, a thing that you didnt get that much with modern games (doesnt mean I dont like modern games, they go for a different experience and like them too to a certain extend).

Most importantly I have the money to afford it xD. Wouldnt go for it when I would earn less or had other important responsibilitys like a wife, kids and so on. Hope you understand my intentions better and why I collect all this old stuff.

Sorry for the long reply xD

PS: I discovered your youtube channel lately with the Rusty video and man, please make more videos like that about games nobody heard about and make more Neo Geo reviews, helped me a lot deciding which games are worth picking up :D.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
If you’ve never paid $45 for a printer cable that weighed two pounds…

ChoAniki

n00b
Geez, these new guys and their journeys…
Yeah, I'm sorry that I wasn't born earlier to experience them all when there where new. Next time I ask my mother to be born earlier so I can play them in the right time xD.

I'm sorry, I try to keep it short because nobody want a wall of text but I have the tendency to write everything out and shorten it after because most people dont read it anyway and less likely when it's long.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
It’s okay. I wish I was born in the late 1940s so I could experience the psychedelic 60s in their full glory.

Or if I was born in the mid 1970s I’d have been just the right age to full appreciate the rave movement of the 1990s.

But thank god I was born in the late 1980s and I got a new Megadrive with Sonic 2 for my 5th birthday. I win at the age being born lottery.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
It’s not that it’s a crime that you were born when you were. Nobody is picking on you for your age. Don’t be lazy and think that’s what I’m getting at. It’s that you’re trying to insert yourself into a scene you have zero connection to thinking that money is all you need to understand it, that you can buy your way into it like the Hulk but like the Hulk you’ll never understand it. You were weren’t there, “there” no longer exists so you can’t go there. You never walked into an arcade and discovered a new Neo game, your jaw never dropped when seeing screenshots in Gamest, you never knew what it was like for Terry Bogard to not look ridiculously out of date. Every single Neo game ever was already out before you even took notice. You never had to slowly come to the conclusion that it was nuts to spend hundreds per game but even more nuts to spend anything on shitty ports. You never experienced this because perfect emulation existed before you ever even played the system.

It’s like if I started collecting scrimshaw or penny-farthing bicycles. It would be a bullshit pose if I did that. I don’t know anything about that stuff except what I can learn from dead people.

ChoAniki

n00b
It’s not that it’s a crime that you were born when you were. Nobody is picking on you for your age. Don’t be lazy and think that’s what I’m getting at. It’s that you’re trying to insert yourself into a scene you have zero connection to thinking that money is all you need to understand it, that you can buy your way into it like the Hulk but like the Hulk you’ll never understand it. You were weren’t there, “there” no longer exists so you can’t go there. You never walked into an arcade and discovered a new Neo game, your jaw never dropped when seeing screenshots in Gamest, you never knew what it was like for Terry Bogard to not look ridiculously out of date. Every single Neo game ever was already out before you even took notice. You never had to slowly come to the conclusion that it was nuts to spend hundreds per game but even more nuts to spend anything on shitty ports. You never experienced this because perfect emulation existed before you ever even played the system.

It’s like if I started collecting scrimshaw or penny-farthing bicycles. It would be a bullshit pose if I did that. I don’t know anything about that stuff except what I can learn from dead people.
Oh, it was meant as a joke, shouldnt be taken seriously, sorry for not it making it clear enough. Yeah, youre right, I will never have the same connections like you older folks have with this stuff and never will experience exactly it as you all did. A sad thing I cant change but only imagine.

Mmmh, did I come as a idiot with too much money? I mean its to a certain extend true but I love most of the retro stuff, which I grew up with and not. I mean I put it so much hours discovering and researching games and consoles, engage in retro communitys and so on. Few weeks ago helped organize and lend consoles and games for a retro gaming night in Osnabrueck. It was fantastic, not a lot of collectors but people happy about playing Tetris, Sonic the Hedghog and Mario Kart 64 on a real console on a CRT again. Also very funny showing them weird stuff like Cho Aniki or Sexy Parodius, you should saw their faces xD. Here in Bremen there are little to no collecters here I can exchange with but most do it on a more casual level which of course is completly fine.

Overall one of the main reasons why I joined is that I can see folks who experienced all the ups and down of the Neo Geo and that can share their memories with me so I can get a glimpse of how it was playing a Neo Geo in the 90s and also share the passion for retro games. Of course in that perspective I will forever be a outsider and thats fine in my book, sometimes things are how there are and I need to take them as there are. Thats one of the reason why I want the real deal, the complete experience playing this stuff with real hardware on a CRT. Emulation is very important and an absolut godsend but when I have the choice I will take real hardware.

Dont wanted to trigger somebody here or get discrespectful, when you have concerns or something is unclear just ask :D.

herb

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member

You're such a clown it's actually impressive

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
your jaw never dropped when seeing screenshots in Gamest
You did??? At least you didn't say you were READING Gamest so you can have leeway to say you were importing those for the pretty pictures, smart move. :D

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
You did??? At least you didn't say you were READING Gamest so you can have leeway to say you were importing those for the pretty pictures, smart move. :D

Nah, I just flipped through them at Diehard. They used to have all the magazines.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
We can't really control the things we're passionate about. I was just capturing NES footage last night and thinking about renting games back in the day when NES was all I had, and I wasn't aware of anything better. I'm pretty good at putting myself back in that mindset, but those days are never coming back.

I asked @ChoAniki what motivates him and he gave a thorough response that helped me understand, so I'm satisfied.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member

Seriously wtf is this post? 😂

Do you like any films made before you were born? Have you seen some old buildings and thought they looked interesting? Can you appreciate a good book written a 100 years ago? Do you use maths but aren’t from ancient Greece?

So a 28 year old is interested in Neo Geo. That’s cool he’s old enough to be an adult. Who else gives a fuck? Even I’m too ‘young’ by your retarded definitions of what the entry criteria is to be a Neo fan.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Thank fuck I never stepped into a "babbages" or else I might be cursed to record NES footage at night. Whew!