GP2X Wiz: Less than a month away?

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
Well they are ok, the unit is alot smaller than i originally thought. The fire buttons feel abit akward to me, but maybe it'll just take some time. One of the problems i have is it seems some games use the start/menu button and some do not. Also the menu button is not marked as a start button so that got confusing at first. The triggers on top are not the best, i guess i'm spoiled with the bumpers/triggers on the psp. Overall its a nicely built unit, however the software for it could use some work. It needs alot more games (obviously) and hopefully they get the emus working abit better.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Well they are ok, the unit is alot smaller than i originally thought. The fire buttons feel abit akward to me, but maybe it'll just take some time. One of the problems i have is it seems some games use the start/menu button and some do not. Also the menu button is not marked as a start button so that got confusing at first. The triggers on top are not the best, i guess i'm spoiled with the bumpers/triggers on the psp. Overall its a nicely built unit, however the software for it could use some work. It needs alot more games (obviously) and hopefully they get the emus working abit better.

How high does your Wiz overclock? Mine's slower than average and is stable at 780mhz. Most of the emulators are very smooth at that speed.

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
I don't know how to overclock it yet. I just got doom 1 & 2 going last night, so things are starting to look up :)

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Usually the emulator itself will have a clock speed option in the settings. ~800mhz is a pretty common range, though like I said mine isn't stable above 780.

Overclocking makes a *huge* difference in an emulator's performance.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
got Doom(s) on mine....CPS2 is kicking nicely. Dumping some Neo CDs on there as I type this. I love the thing so far. I cannot WAIT until the page tear is fixed. Apparently it's not a V-Sync issue as everyone is saying...purely a software thing. So stuff will have to be recompiled/tweaked when it gets fixed, so only new highly supported stuff will work with it apparently.

Now all I need is Duke Nukem, Hexen and to get Quake working and I'll be happy. :buttrock:

Anyone mess with DosBox much?

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I'm surprised at how well Quake 2 runs. I really wish more companies would release the source on their old properties.

I haven't messed with Dosbox, yet. I've got a 32gb card in the mail since I'm getting close to filling my current one with Neo, Sega, and PC-Engine CD's.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
oh shit, so it can take higher than a 4gb card? Dammit! I assumed it couldn't take higher.

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
I just got a 16gb card in the mail today, i think it'll take me awhile to fill it.

On a side note, after loading it with some emus i'm really liking this thing. Its really grown on me since i first got it earlier this week. If you only play the games released and not the emus then its a dissappointment, but when you load the emus on it, it takes it to a whole nother level. Its well worth the investment imo.

were8kosh

Rugal's Thug
15 Year Member
now you got me geeking for one :drool_2:
anyone got info on best place to order from?

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
gp2xstore is where i got mine, pretty decent service, i can't complain. Its 179.99 + shipping, which is about the best price i've seen on them in the USA.

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
Actually you can get the dingoo for about $95 shipped on ebay, its a similar system and comes with some pretty good 3d games from the factory, it also comes with about 8 emus built into it from the factory so i'm guessing its emulation is a notch better than the gp2x wiz at the moment. Its also got a nicer button layout and has real buttons, which will be nice. I just ordered one last night so we'll see. Its suppose to take about 2 weeks to get here, so the shipping isn't the quickest, but thats ok, i'm in no rush now that i have the wiz to play with ;) Imo the 3 or 4 built in games plus the factory installed emus make it well worth the 100 bucks, the 3 or 4 games alone would run you 100-120 for the nintendo ds or psp, plus you get an open source console and several built in emus. Imo it is the best bang for the buck right now.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
now that they've cracked the firmware on the Dingoo, I do plan on picking one up...I'm annoyed that the homebrew scene is moving so damn fast on the Dingoo and so slow on the Wiz. :crying:

I want Duke 3D and Heretic/Hexen NOW please, thx

I think the Wiz has some serious potential if it can just get some legs with the homebrew peeps.

I think if the Wiz had just been "backwards compatible" so to speak with the programs for the GP2X that would've helped things a bit.

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
Yeah i've even thought about grabbing a gp2x to use the games and emus it has out, but the dingoo caught my eye last night and after abit of research i've decided its probably the best thing to keep me occupied while the wiz gets it feet under it. It seems the wiz was out of stock for some time and that could be why theres so little developed for it right now. I'm sure things will pick up in the coming months expecially after the summer season is over with, but for now the dingoo seems like a winner to me. And for less than $100, how can you go wrong?

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Yeah i've even thought about grabbing a gp2x to use the games and emus it has out, but the dingoo caught my eye last night and after abit of research i've decided its probably the best thing to keep me occupied while the wiz gets it feet under it. It seems the wiz was out of stock for some time and that could be why theres so little developed for it right now. I'm sure things will pick up in the coming months expecially after the summer season is over with, but for now the dingoo seems like a winner to me. And for less than $100, how can you go wrong?

woah, woah WOOOAH! I've got the wiz, the dingoo and both models of the latest GP2X (black & white) along with a bunch of other little "obscure" portable emu capable units. The GP2X is a much better way to go than the dingoo. They can be obtained now used for just a little more than the dingoo as well. Overall I'm pretty disappointed with the dingoo's performance.

The GP2X F100/F200 is still my current emu portable weapon of choice, even over my modded psp fat/slim and DS/DSi/DS-Ique+cart... maybe once the wiz picks up and or the pandora comes out will that change.

Last edited:

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Yeah, I bought an F-100 Mark 2 because I was impatient for the software to appear on the Wiz, and I've been very, very happy with it. The stick control is not bad at all (that is one of the things they improved over the MK1, and since the F-200 dpad is just unconnected buttons, I'd be willing to bet the MK2 has the best control out of all original GP2X models, but feel free to correct me if you know). The emulation is actually very good, just not as good as the Wiz. On the other hand you get Cave Story, which possibly won't make it over to the Wiz at all.

(P.S. I do find it hard to pull off dragon-punch-style moves on the F-100. I'll usually end up performing a hadouken.)

Last edited:

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Yeah, I bought an F-100 Mark 2 because I was impatient for the software to appear on the Wiz, and I've been very, very happy with it. The stick control is not bad at all (that is one of the things they improved over the MK1, and since the F-200 dpad is just unconnected buttons, I'd be willing to bet the MK2 has the best control out of all original GP2X models, but feel free to correct me if you know). The emulation is actually very good, just not as good as the Wiz. On the other hand you get Cave Story, which possibly won't make it over to the Wiz at all.

(P.S. I do find it hard to pull off dragon-punch-style moves on the F-100. I'll usually end up performing a hadouken.)

I have an F200 but have pretty much given up on it after the latest HEN releases for the PSP have made it no-brains easy to "hack" and run emus on. I have my PSP slim as my main emu device now, although I think I need to wait for ChickHEN r3 for more a robust emu library. The battery situation with my GP2X just ended up pissing me off evetually...bad battery life even with 2650 mah rechargeables.
And the PSP Mame4all is really no worse than the GP2X one, I find.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
The battery life isn't great, yeah. I carry my GP2X in the NGPC case because it has room for the system, extra batteries, and a battery charger.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
I have an F200 but have pretty much given up on it after the latest HEN releases for the PSP have made it no-brains easy to "hack" and run emus on. I have my PSP slim as my main emu device now, although I think I need to wait for ChickHEN r3 for more a robust emu library. The battery situation with my GP2X just ended up pissing me off evetually...bad battery life even with 2650 mah rechargeables.
And the PSP Mame4all is really no worse than the GP2X one, I find.

Mame4All on an *F100* is much better than my modded psp slim. Note I said F100, it runs much better overclocked (stable) than my F200.

The only thing I give the psp as an advantage over GP2X is ps1 emulation. That's it.

As for bad d-pads, you can get those "replacement" d-pads that stick on/over the existing one. Still not perfect but a definite improvement. I got some japanese one for my F200.

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
thought i'd pipe up here

I have a Dingoo and I'm loving it. The D-pad and buttons feel great (not the shoulder buttons though) the speeds are really great with NeoGeo but less so with other emus. CPS2 is a bit chunky but playable, SNES is slow, Genesis has GFX issues on some games but NES is perfect. I've generally used it for NeoGeo so far so there is no problems there, Garou, LB2, MS3, BlazingStar, Matrimelee all run wonderfully.

TV-out is pretty awesome too.

That being said, its a bit funky in the OS department, but since Linux is well underway to being a staple Dingoo OS and Mame is being ported things are looking up.

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
The dingoo is so cheap its just plain dumb not to have one, i just paid $70 shipped for one. At that price i can't even buy 2 current generation handheld games.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
between the speed of the emulators already released and the incredible screen on the Wiz, I think I'm just going to be patient and enjoy all the good stuff already released on the Wiz while waiting for more support to get cooking.