GP2X F-200 - Anybody Have One?

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I don't have one, but after you posted the link, I was looking at them. You know, there is an emulator for it that can handle Cave games. I'm seriously considering getting one just for that.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
I don't own one either, but I also did some brief looking around. Emulation wise, it looks to be a better platform than the PSP. Of course, it seems to be the aim of the system where as the PSP wasn't ever intended to do any of the stuff it does by Sony.

I have to admit, I'm pretty impressed with the PSP though. If it just had better MAME support I'd really want nothing more from it. It emulates tons of stuff as it is and has a pretty decent library of actual games to boot.

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Anyone have any comments about the battery life? That was pretty much the main thing holding me back from a GP2X in general...the wikipedia entry for the general gp2x page says from "10 minutes to 6 hrs" depending on the type of battery used...
what the hell? That's scary:lolz:

subcons

dark penguin said:
Anyone have any comments about the battery life? That was pretty much the main thing holding me back from a GP2X in general...the wikipedia entry for the general gp2x page says from "10 minutes to 6 hrs" depending on the type of battery used...
what the hell? That's scary:lolz:

Can't be any worse than the PSP, and that hasn't been a problem at all for me in the short time I've owned one.

dark penguin

DolphinLord said:
There's a decent review of this system on Ars Technica, which is what got me to thinking about it in the first place:

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/gp2x-review.ars

Battery life was one of the author's complaints. With rechargeables, though, this problem could be minimized.

I think I may just have to get one of these.

That's a pretty good review, actually. He also says the D-pad is pretty weak.
Hmmm.

Does it come with a battery pack, or what's the deal? This handheld looks pretty good overall. I'm actually kind of sitting on the fence over buying one of these or a new psp slim.

subcons

So wait... it takes regular batteries? That's kind of terrible if that's the case.

matt009au

Zero's Tailor
That's a pretty good review, actually. He also says the D-pad is pretty weak.
Hmmm.

The GP2X F100 looks like it has a little joystick instead of the dpad, don't know if it is any better, and I'm not up on the differences between the F200 and the F100.

EDIT: outlines the differences in that link to the review, which i didn't really read before posting.

matt009au

Zero's Tailor
book.jpg

003.jpg

Whats with the different dpads? Is the first one just stuck on with double sided tape or something?

dark penguin

So, basically, the two main things holding me back here are:

+possibly shite d-pad
+possibly shite battery life

I'm hoping someone here owns one and can elaborate. There's a place within a few hours of me that sells these. I could have one shipped to my door for about the same price as buying a psp slim. What would really trump it is if someone got a psp emulator running :tickled:

Hey guys, I just happened upon this thread in a Google search. I've been a GP2X user for 2 years now and I think it's great. For more info on the GP2X (and the crazy-powerful GP2X successor, Pandora), head to the main community sight at www.gp32x.com

One of the main problems with the GP2X has always been it's battery life. For most users, they last between 3-5 hours, depending on the quality of your rechargable bateries and battery charger. The positive aspect of this is that you can replace the dead batteries with fresh ones at anytime, unlike a built in battery solution.

I honestly think GP2X is the best emulation handheld at the moment. Most of the great PSP emulators right now are ports from the GP2X. Picrodrive for example, started much of its life on the GP2X and its version still remains faster and more optimized. PSP does have great PS1 emulation though, which currently runs slow on the GP2X.

Anyway, I could go on and on about this topic, but I won't :) If you have any questions, I might check back once every few days to answer them.

Last edited:

dark penguin

Jaguarandine said:
Hey guys, I just happened upon this thread in a Google search. I've been a GP2X user for 2 years now and I think it's great. For more info on the GP2X (and the crazy-powerful GP2X successor, Pandora), head to the main community sight at www.gp32x.com

One of the main problems with the GP2X has always been it's battery life. For most users, they last between 3-5 hours, depending on the quality of your rechargable bateries and battery charger. The positive aspect of this is that you can replace the dead batteries with fresh ones at anytime, unlike a built in battery solution.

I honestly think GP2X is the best emulation handheld at the moment. Most of the great PSP emulators right now are ports from the GP2X. Picrodrive for example, started much of its life on the GP2X and its version still remains faster and more optimized. PSP does have great PS1 emulation though, which currently runs slow on the GP2X.

Anyway, I could go on and on about this topic, but I won't :) If you have any questions, I might check back once every few days to answer them.

Nice to see a GP2X veteran here. I think I'm pretty much sold on it. Few Q's though...

-how do PC Engine CD games run? I'd love to have Gate of Thunder on a handheld.
-How bad is the new dpad, really? If it's at least as good as the original PSP d-pad, that's not a problem for me at all.

-Funny you should mention PC Engine as a new emu was released last week that runs fullspeed and has better compatibility than many Windows PC Engine emulators. I haven't tried it yet, but people like it a lot.
http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?showtopic=41799&view=getnewpost

-While an improvement over the old design, most users feel that the new dpad is just ok. The main problem here is that there are 4 seperate buttons instead of all of them being connected like a Playstation dpad. Personally, I feel its better than the PSP dpad which I find inferior to Dual Shock dpads and the F100 stick. Being a fighting game fan, I can do dragon punches and other moves with a little adjusting. This is just my opinion though. Many players opt for a dpad mod on their GP2X.

dark penguin

-Funny you should mention PC Engine as a new emu was released last week that runs fullspeed and has better compatibility than many Windows PC Engine emulators. I haven't tried it yet, but people like it a lot.
http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?showtopic=41799&view=getnewpost

-While an improvement over the old design, most users feel that the new dpad is just ok. The main problem here is that there are 4 seperate buttons instead of all of them being connected like a Playstation dpad. Personally, I feel its better than the PSP dpad which I find inferior to Dual Shock dpads and the F100 stick. Being a fighting game fan, I can do dragon punches and other moves with a little adjusting. This is just my opinion though. Many players opt for a dpad mod on their GP2X.

Nice...I just got an F-200 and I'm a big PCE fan. Thanks for the link...I'm going to try that out!