Got laid off...less than a month before xmas

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Damn I'm so sorry to hear that man. Everything is going down the shitter now unfortunately its going to get worse.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
If it is any solace, I hope you can enjoy some time off and spend time with the family. When i was laid off, I got to spend 6+ months of quality time with my 6month old daughter. It was stressful to find another job but I am glad I got to raise her everyday for such an extended period of time. It was just hard to appreciate it at the time.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Sorry to hear that man, I know how frustrating it must be having been in the same boat myself.

Hope you find a new job soon! :)

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Definitely hope you're getting some severance at least, and worst case, I hope you have some 401K match money to cash out in the mean time. Be well.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Ooof. That's a punch in the guts. I was just talking to someone about how I am not mentally prepared if I were to be laid off.

My friend's company is getting ready to layoff a few hundred people. They wanted to do it by end of year so the budget would be more clear for next year, but they are going to wait til Jan.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I thought only government and security job were drug testing these days.
Last time I looked (pretty recently) most Federal 9-5 office types and almost anything else don't drug test.
Most of them are listed on usajobs.gov and there's a section clearly stating if your expected to take a drug test.

I'm sure military, police and federal agents do though.

Everything in my region tests though, not sure if they care about weed though.
Think they're just looking for opiates and meth.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
At least in my area, there continues to be a lot of staffing shortages in many professions (both my current employer and my previous one are still having difficulties in multiple departments in that regard), so, I'd say that the job market heavily favors new hires, making it easier to get work in general and also negotiate better terms.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Corporate America can always be relied on to stick it in your ass at the worst possible time.

Good luck on the job hunt... we'll be here to keep you motivated by calling you a jobless homosexual.