got a Neo Geo CD - but it doesn't work! any ideas?

akuyou

n00b
I bought a cheap NeoGeo CD but it doesn't spin the disc up

I've opened the case up, and pushed down the lid close switch manually, the laser moves towards the spindle, and the laser head moves up and down - I've even seen the laser light up.

The CD rarely spins, but I have seen it happen! it seems only happen if I manually move the laser head back by hand cranking the cogs

I am pretty sure it got a track listing the first time I tried (audio cd) but it has never detected properly since, even the times it has spinned the disc.

I have greased the rails, and rubbed isopropyl on the head, I have also checked the ribbon cable, which looks ok.

My best guess is the laser needs aligning -, but I really dont know.

Any suggestions on how to fix it (if its even possible)
I didn't pay much for it, so if its dead its no problem.

Thanks for reading!

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
The very first thing you need to do when you're having this kind of issues with a Neo Geo CD is to check the power supply.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I bought a cheap NeoGeo CD but it doesn't spin the disc up

I've opened the case up, and pushed down the lid close switch manually, the laser moves towards the spindle, and the laser head moves up and down - I've even seen the laser light up.

The CD rarely spins, but I have seen it happen! it seems only happen if I manually move the laser head back by hand cranking the cogs

I am pretty sure it got a track listing the first time I tried (audio cd) but it has never detected properly since, even the times it has spinned the disc.

I have greased the rails, and rubbed isopropyl on the head, I have also checked the ribbon cable, which looks ok.

My best guess is the laser needs aligning -, but I really dont know.

Any suggestions on how to fix it (if its even possible)
I didn't pay much for it, so if its dead its no problem.

Thanks for reading!

Take a picture of the spindle and how it sits. The majority of the problems I see is the spindle is sitting too low and the disc doesnt make good contact with it.

ssrcwKN.png

Last edited:

akuyou

n00b
Ok, here's my photo - what do you think?

I checked the PSU with a voltimeter, 10v comes out the 10v bit, and 5v comes out the 5v bit - I don't know if it drops under load though.

Oh, and that Whitehouse anigif is very funny by the way!a

Attachments

• DSC_0166.JPG
    DSC_0166.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 68

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
That looks OK. I usually see the spindle lightly below or even with the surrounding plastic. It's possible your laser is out.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Ok, here's my photo - what do you think?

I checked the PSU with a voltimeter, 10v comes out the 10v bit, and 5v comes out the 5v bit - I don't know if it drops under load though.

Oh, and that Whitehouse anigif is very funny by the way!a

You also need to check the connector itself for oxidation.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The most common problem is a stuck lid switch. With the lid open, push down on the lid switch (small circle near the front edge iirc) then power the unit on while holding it. If it doesn't spin, check to make sure that the lid switch actuator is even moving down to press on the actual lid switch inside the system on the controller board. Most times you have to push hard on it if it's seized then put a dab of grease on it and work it in.

Let me know if that still doesn't work.