Ghostlop & Breakers Revenge (Bootleg) MVS Issues

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy
Hello!

I recently acquired A couple of bootleg cartridges, that I was interested in repairing to add to my collection. Unfortunately, no matter what I do, I can't seem to get them working. The voice, program, and music data appears to be fine. But the graphics data is severely corrupted. I have tried reburning the CROMs, checking for breaks, even replacing the NE0-273 and all the EPROMs with new ones. Nothing. If anyone has any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated!

Ghostlop (PROGTOP + CHA42G-3)
8tispy9segl9nkmzg.jpg

3m9538v997i06olzg.jpg

vi65b5v6wv8df3hzg.jpg

vth637v55g8ma5xzg.jpg

poycawhq8vyqxybzg.jpg

cmr9wg1lts0hzfozg.jpg

Breakers Revenge (PROGBK1 + CHA256)
ku6sp6r3tf8qnszzg.jpg

vm6p4i345wcm1fkzg.jpg

lhujpu9okmr5lw1zg.jpg

8a322552tum7odkzg.jpg

9j882ebpn3offj5zg.jpg

s7fhsvxmacse2rkzg.jpg

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
On the BREAKER's why do you still have the jumpers in place@ r1-r4? They should be removed. Remove the metal bits at 11-13 and replace them with the original jumpers preferably.
In regards to the Ghostlop,the edge connecter is not the best on that 42g-3 but you may have a bad c1 or c1 and c3 swapped in the wrong positions.
BB

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy
On the BREAKER's why do you still have the jumpers in place@ r1-r4? They should be removed. Remove the metal bits at 11-13 and replace them with the original jumpers preferably.
In regards to the Ghostlop,the edge connecter is not the best on that 42g-3 but you may have a bad c1 or c1 and c3 swapped in the wrong positions.
BB
Fixed the Jumpers on Breakers Revenge, but still glitchy as hell. It is slightly improved though.

Ghostlop, swapping C1 and C3 yielded worse results. So, I will burn a new C1 and see how that goes.

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy
Burning a new C1 did not fix it. I will try burning a new C3, but I am out of ideas otherwise.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
If the jumpers are all correct and the CHA pcbs are suitable ,it would have to be bad burns of the c roms or tech problems with the pcb.i've had pcbs with hairline cracks that are hard to spot and all sorts of problems so what I do is just replace the CHA BOARD. I don't even like using CHA PCB's with funky edge connecters that are really scrapped up ,oxidized or have rust on them.
BB

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy
Hmm...I wonder if I can find someone who can take a look at these for me. I don't want to scrap these boards, and would love to get them back to a state of playability.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
This may require a lot of work ,maybe not but you could try using one of same model pcbs you have already known to work and swap the chips just to make sure it's the pcb or the chips giving you the problems..
BB

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy
This may require a lot of work ,maybe not but you could try using one of same model pcbs you have already known to work and swap the chips just to make sure it's the pcb or the chips giving you the problems..
BB
Swapped CHA256 on my Breakers Revenge, with my Crossed Swords 2. It works now. So it looks like something is wrong with the CHA256 itself

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Swapped CHA256 on my Breakers Revenge, with my Crossed Swords 2. It works now. So it looks like something is wrong with the CHA256 itself
Try the same thing with Ghostlop too...
BTW, did you place the CS2 chips in the faulty 256 so you are able to troubleshoot the problem with it...I mean, at least now, you know it's the PCB so no second guessing and your CS2 is only too chips,right?
BB

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy
Try the same thing with Ghostlop too...
BTW, did you place the CS2 chips in the faulty 256 so you are able to troubleshoot the problem with it...I mean, at least now, you know it's the PCB so no second guessing and your CS2 is only too chips,right?
BB
Unfortunately I don't have any CHA42G-3 spares, and my other bootlegs are going to take a long ass time to desolder.

Yes, I did put the CS2 ROMs onto the defective CHA256, and it is only 2 C ROMs. Unfortunately, I am getting the same issues and I can't narrow down the cause.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Unfortunately I don't have any CHA42G-3 spares, and my other bootlegs are going to take a long ass time to desolder.

Yes, I did put the CS2 ROMs onto the defective CHA256, and it is only 2 C ROMs. Unfortunately, I am getting the same issues and I can't narrow down the cause.
I may have a spare 42G-3 conversate me with your address abd I'll get it out to you like Tuesday or tomorrow.
BB

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy
Issues Resolved!

Took the CHA board from my Bang Bang Busters, and that also revived my Ghostlop!

Now the only issue is, I need another CHA board to bring that game back aswell.

But both CS2 and B2B will be brought back soon enough.

Thanks for your help, Bear!