Ghost Pilots: Fuck You!

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Played this again recently for the first time in over a decade. I thought I would go back and give it another shot. I remember the game being so incredibly hard that you just had to bomb constantly. Thought maybe I just sucked back then and could do decent now. Started off all right, then a few stages in shit got intense. Maybe I still just suck, I don't know.

Here's my gripe with Ghost Pilots:

It could be an awesome game, but they made it way too hard. Your ship is so damn slow, and shit just flies across the screen from every direction. You will be dodging bullets and a swarm of planes will come behind you, or from the side, and there's nothing you can do.

Sometime bullets come so fast, especially from bosses, that you can't dodge in time, even if you hugging the back of the screen. I feel like the speed ups do absolutely nothing.

So what could be an awesome game, turns in to a bomb fest, and 50-75 deaths later you complete the game. I said fuck it, I'm just going to beat it by pushing quarters. There's no way in hell this game could be 1CC'd, or even beat on a dollar.

It's like the Ninja Combat of the Neo Geo SHMUP world. So what could have been a great game, and one solid shooter on the Neo, is just not fun do to being developed in order to munch $25.00 from you.

I tried to like this game, but I never see myself returning to Ghost Pilots in this life-time. The only redeeming factor was you get liquored up in the end.

If they just made you a little bit faster, and put a warning when shit was coming from behind, and the sides, I think this game would have been MUCH better.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
This is written like it came from somebody completely new to video games.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
There's no way in hell this game could be 1CC'd, or even beat on a dollar.

Incorrect & you know it... the game's Achilles' heel shows, if you move with your plane on the tracks of a slightly distorted imaginary infinity symbol. Just check out some vids of skilled (as always) Japanese players. Once you master this, it's just a question of endurance, like milking.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
The only problem I have with the game is it just too fucking long and somewhat mediocre for a shmup compared to others in the genre. Saying it's impossible to 1CC is pretty far fetched because you're butt mad about it being difficult for you :lolz:

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Love Ghost Pilots so much
Love stage 1 soundtrack even though it's re-used in the later stage.
I just keep playing and practicing
It's hard but it's a challenge

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
The only problem I have with the game is it just too fucking long and somewhat mediocre for a shmup compared to others in the genre. Saying it's impossible to 1CC is pretty far fetched because you're butt mad about it being difficult for you :lolz:

I'm not butt mad... OK maybe I am. But it's not because of the difficulty. It's because it is poorly designed.

I personally feel the game is designed in such a way it is impossible to get out of certain situations. EX: Planes coming from behind and the sides with no warning.

I am waiting for the 1cc vids to roll in though to prove me wrong.

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Incorrect & you know it... the game's Achilles' heel shows, if you move with your plane on the tracks of a slightly distorted imaginary infinity symbol. Just check out some vids of skilled (as always) Japanese players. Once you master this, it's just a question of endurance, like milking.

I would love to see some of these 1cc videos. I can not locate any on youtube. Please link.

Arcade Magician

Goal! Goal! Goal!
C'mon.... you guys REALLY think this game is mediocre?
The music and the art style are very nice... but I miss a more solid power up system, that's for sure.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The music and the art style are very nice... but I miss a more solid power up system, that's for sure.

Compared to its paragons (Flying/Fire Shark, Twin Hawk & the whole 1941 series) it's even less than that. Compared to other verts on the Neo, it's just less than that. Finally, all comparisons aside, calling it mediocre is, well... deserved flattery.

The most interesting & innovative thing about it is how the memory card concept (play some now - save - play later from where you left) was implemented into it's gameplay through the monstrous length, just like in JoyJoy Kid.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Ghost Pilots is incredibly average, in my opinion. The same as Alpha Mission 2. I just can't get into either of them, because there are much better shooters on the Neo and pretty much any other console.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Ghost Pilots is incredibly average, in my opinion. The same as Alpha Mission 2. I just can't get into either of them, because there are much better shooters on the Neo and pretty much any other console.

I'd like to polemicize... putting ASOII in the same sentence as GP is either a simple misunderstanding or plain malevolence. Graphics, music, sound effects and gameplay of the former, not to mention the atmosphere, are outstanding, while in the latter case only in debit in regards to the basic needs of an arcade STG.

The only trump card Ghost Pilots has, when compared to ASOII, is its lush carton box cover.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I especially liked the Ghost Pilots ending, very much worth it.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I'd like to polemicize... putting ASOII in the same sentence as GP is either a simple misunderstanding or plain malevolence. Graphics, music, sound effects and gameplay of the former, not to mention the atmosphere, are outstanding, while in the latter case only in debit in regards to the basic needs of an arcade STG.

The only trump card Ghost Pilots has, when compared to ASOII, is its lush carton box cover.

Well, it's just my opinion. They're both in the same league as far as I'm concerned. I've owned and spent plenty of time with both, but they both elicit the same 'meh' response.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
Eh... I think ASO 2 is good and ghost pilots does not hold a candle to it.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member

well said

I just wish it can have more power-ups or even include lifebar...................it's so brutal after stage 3...............

Arcade Magician

Goal! Goal! Goal!
My humble and nostalgic opinion: The NG has some of the "ultimate games" ...like Baseball Stars 2 (THE BEST BASEBALL vg EVER MADE)...Nam75 and many others. Dudes, Neo Turf is the BEST golf vg EVER made, or am I WRONG? Ghost Pilots is an authentic (has the NG style all over it, a pure "Classic SNK" game) and is a GOOD ww2 vertical shooter , is NOT the ultimate, but is far from mediocre... for me, a NG classic. (BTW, same with ASO2)