Ghost in the Shell 2 Subtitles FIXED. Dreamworks offers replacement

slerch666

updyke,
In case you didn't know, Dreamworks/Go Fish/Who the Fuck Ever, has "fixed" their DVD release subtitle issue (the problem is that all that is available is English CLOSED CAPTIONED) and will send out fixed discs to those that request them.

All you have to do is go here (there website for GitS 2). Click The DVD option. At the top of the "The DVD" section, there is a link that says "Questions About Your DVD." When you click it, you fill out the form, Dreamworks/Whoever sends you a postage paid mailer, you slide just the disc in and stick it in the mail. They'll send you a fixed disc as a replacement.

You can also buy the full release with subtitles if you look at the spine and it has a 'v4' printed on it. Not sure where.

Not sure how many here bought it, but if you did and it bothers you like it does most others, be sure to take advantage of it. Hell, even if it doesn't bother you, send it ini anyway so you get all the features quoted on the back of the package (subtitles and closed captioning are listed, all we got were CCs).

I still haven't watched my CC'd copy, guess I won't bother. I saw the movie in the theatre, so I can wait a little longer to watch the DVD. ;)

drone9

Marked Wolf
now all they need to offer is a replacement cover... :rolleyes:

but the disc replacement is a nice move.
still, the discs shouldn't have been flawed to begin with.

ferrarimanf355

Bullets QB
drone9 said:
now all they need to offer is a replacement cover... :rolleyes:

but the disc replacement is a nice move.
still, the discs shouldn't have been flawed to begin with.
Yeah, it makes me wonder if EA's QA team was behind this... :loco:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Good looking out. Thanks, Slerch.

As for the cover, there's an even easier fix: I took the insert out, flipped it over to the white side, drew a picture in crayon using my left foot, put insert back in packaging, and presto -- 500% improvement.

Curt

apostate
any word on where you can buy a new "fixed" version of Gits2 Guaranteed? (Preferably online)

I read on the site if the packaging says "V4" then its the new version.

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
Any reason this movie wasn't dubbed? I'm a lazy American, and reading all that gibberish in subtitles in the theater gave me a headache.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
slerch666 said:
In case you didn't know, Dreamworks/Go Fish/Who the Fuck Ever, has "fixed" their DVD release subtitle issue (the problem is that all that is available is English CLOSED CAPTIONED) and will send out fixed discs to those that request them.

All you have to do is go here (there website for GitS 2). Click The DVD option. At the top of the "The DVD" section, there is a link that says "Questions About Your DVD." When you click it, you fill out the form, Dreamworks/Whoever sends you a postage paid mailer, you slide just the disc in and stick it in the mail. They'll send you a fixed disc as a replacement.

You can also buy the full release with subtitles if you look at the spine and it has a 'v4' printed on it. Not sure where.

Not sure how many here bought it, but if you did and it bothers you like it does most others, be sure to take advantage of it. Hell, even if it doesn't bother you, send it ini anyway so you get all the features quoted on the back of the package (subtitles and closed captioning are listed, all we got were CCs).

I still haven't watched my CC'd copy, guess I won't bother. I saw the movie in the theatre, so I can wait a little longer to watch the DVD. ;)
At least i know what the deal is with that now.
For a while now i thought DreamWorks did that on purpose.
I found it to be annoying when, i was watching the flim.

slerch666

updyke,
Buro Destruct said:
Any reason this movie wasn't dubbed? I'm a lazy American, and reading all that gibberish in subtitles in the theater gave me a headache.
Because according to the Dreamworks rep at Otakon, nearly word for word:

"English dubs in America rarely match the quality of dubs in other countries"

Remember, Dreamworks is a film company first. Retaining the artistic intent of the original release is "high" on their priority list, and dubbing isn't necesarily the way to do that.

Whether it's in English or Japanese, it's not about the language, it's about the content. If you wanted to see it, what's the difference whether it's in English or Japanese? Sure, you have to read, but at least you get to see the film, IMO.

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
I didn't know it was even out on DVD yet! Shows how much I was paying attention lately.

Thanks for the info, I'll be looking for that V4 DVD at best buy later. :)

slerch666

updyke,
CurtWRX said:
any word on where you can buy a new "fixed" version of Gits2 Guaranteed? (Preferably online)

I read on the site if the packaging says "V4" then its the new version.
No, if you want to make sure you are getting the V4 disc, visual inspection is the only route to go. Some sites may list the V4 thing eventually, but none do as of yet, as the replacement programs was JUST announced.

Tron 2.0 said:
At least i know what the deal is with that now.
For a while now i thought DreamWorks did that on purpose.
I found it to be annoying when, i was watching the flim.

Actually, the best part about the entire mess was that they CLAIMED it was as intended, even though the packaging lists it as subtitles and closed captioning. I'm sure a shitload of people were pissed and complained, which got the problem fixed. They got a fix disc out entirely too fast for the subtitle timings to not have already been completed before they released the original fucked disc, which tells me it wasn't intentional on their part, but they were trying to cover it up and avoid a costly replacement program on it. Guess they lost that gamble.

JHendrix said:
I didn't know it was even out on DVD yet! Shows how much I was paying attention lately.

Thanks for the info, I'll be looking for that V4 DVD at best buy later.
Well, it's not like they actually ADVERTISED that it was out. It just kinda... happened. I can't say I've seen a single ad for the DVD anywhere. Dumb bastards.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Thank you VERY much. I didn't even watch the rest of it because I was so dissapointed in the subtitles. Thanks for the link... I already filled it out; didn't waste one moment to do so after seeing this thread!

Spike

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Buro Destruct said:

Are you serious or joking? If serious, gimme a break. I will say, however, that I loved the dub of the first GITS better than the original. Overall, everything and everyone did a better job in the English version. You'll not hear me say that often, as I ALWAYS watch all Anime (or foreign films in general, for that matter) in their original language.

Spike

NeoGML

Fighting Artist
Um, you'll have to excuse my ignorance, but...

I saw Ghost in the Shell 2 (rented it) with subs, and I thought it was fine.

I rented it probably a few weeks ago.

What's the difference between subtitles and closed captioning? I don't really get what went wrong. :conf:

slerch666

updyke,
NeoGML said:

What's the difference between subtitles and closed captioning? I don't really get what went wrong. :conf:
Closed captioning contains sound effects and stuff, as well as the dialog. If you didn't see "helecopter approaching" "gun shot" "explosion" type shit mixed in with your subtitles, then you saw the SUBTITLED version. If you saw it with shit like the above, that's closed captioned.

There ARE fixed discs out there already, as stated in my post and in at least one other, it has a V4 on the spine. Perhaps this is the one you saw?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
NeoGML said:
Um, you'll have to excuse my ignorance, but...

Hello, here is your mail mr smith.... a dog barks in the background. Let me close that door for you. CREEK! thanks... chirp chirp chirp.

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
Spike Spiegel said:
Are you serious or joking? If serious, gimme a break. I will say, however, that I loved the dub of the first GITS better than the original. Overall, everything and everyone did a better job in the English version. You'll not hear me say that often, as I ALWAYS watch all Anime (or foreign films in general, for that matter) in their original language.

Spike
I'm both. I have no problem with reading subtitles, but the content of the film and the constantly quoted literature and proverbs and the general bass-ackwards nature of the film made it difficult for me to keep up with what was happening.

I'm also completely incapable of discerning Japanese voices from one another, if it wasn't clear who was speaking (like the scene between Batou and Togusa in the car) I wasn't always able to tell which subtitles belonged to which person.

As far "English dubs not matching the quality of other dubs" wouldn't that be DREAMWORKS' problem? Its not my fault they can't find decent voice actors, plenty of other companies have(Cowboy Bebop, Akira, Metal Gear Solid being examples of Japanese products with fantastic voice overs).

slerch666

updyke,
Buro Destruct said:
As far "English dubs not matching the quality of other dubs" wouldn't that be DREAMWORKS' problem? Its not my fault they can't find decent voice actors, plenty of other companies have(Cowboy Bebop, Akira, Metal Gear Solid being examples of Japanese products with fantastic voice overs).
And how many of the Anime you list are done by Hollywood studios? Bebop (movie only, by Sony), but they already had their cast chosen for them by the dubbers of the TV series. MGS doesn't count, because it's not done by a Hollywood or an Anime studio either, at least not for this "argument". MGS is an example of a fine dub, however.

The point is that being a film company, Dreamworks was more interested in artistic integrity over dubbing it for the masses. This is what they want you to believe at least. In reality, what probably happened is the movie didn't do nearly as well as they had hoped theatrically, so they decided not to dub it. Of course, this could be seen as a catch 22. They didn't dub it, so less people went to see it, which caused them not to make a dub. Had they spent the $$$ for the dub to begin with, maybe more people would have seen it theatrically? The world may never know.

If you look at DW's previous release of Millennium Actress, they did the same thing with it. No dub. Of course, it was definitely a limited interest thing (even though it's fucking tremendous). GitS 2 had the potential to sell shitloads to past fans and new fans coming in from the R1 release of SAC; this is perhaps a miscalculation on DW's part? Some of these people won't buy an un-dubbed release.

The quote I gave was straight from DW's reps at Otakon, not something I made up. Even if the quality is shit in their eyes, they should have dubbed it if they wanted it to sell better. A lot of people I know won't buy it because it's subbed only. This boggles my mind, as the reason you watch is for the content, not the language. Sure, it's not as easy to watch for you, but it's still worth watching, even if you have to watch multiple times to catch it all.

Personally I'd only watch it subbed, but see how/why people would want a dub. However, if given the choice of not seeing it, or only seeing it dubbed (say if the tables were turned), I'd still watch it, just to see it. It's a damn fine film.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Buro Destruct said:
I'm both. I have no problem with reading subtitles, but the content of the film and the constantly quoted literature and proverbs and the general bass-ackwards nature of the film made it difficult for me to keep up with what was happening.

I'm also completely incapable of discerning Japanese voices from one another, if it wasn't clear who was speaking (like the scene between Batou and Togusa in the car) I wasn't always able to tell which subtitles belonged to which person.

I admit that Cowboy Bebop and, to a certain degree, Akira have good voice overs. I think Spike and Jet are great, in fact, but I still like the JPN a bit more. But GITS1? Forget about it. That dub was incredible. I do wish there was an option in 2. I was actually hoping the original voice actors from the first were in the second.

And yeah, I know the voice of Spike is in GITS's JPN track, but it just doesn't match... oh well.

redrum666

Mai's Apprentice
slerch666 said:
Well, it's not like they actually ADVERTISED that it was out. It just kinda... happened. I can't say I've seen a single ad for the DVD anywhere. Dumb bastards.

the sunday befor the dvd came out best buy and Circuit City had ADVERTISED the dvd coming out that tuesday both had it for $17.99 so you must have not looked hard a nuff :kekeke: :rolleyes:

slerch666

updyke,
redrum666 said:
the sunday befor the dvd came out best buy and Circuit City had ADVERTISED the dvd coming out that tuesday both had it for $17.99 so you must have not looked hard a nuff :kekeke: :rolleyes:
I'm talking about REAL advertisement by Dreamworks/Go Fish/Universal themselves, not ads for it in sale papers. Though that does count, those weren't the type of ads I meant. TV ads and shit from DW and so on is what I meant.