Genesis VS SNES - which was the best?

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Discuss all aspects - games/quality, technology (sound/graphics), accessories...etc..

FIGHT!:vik:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Two of the all time greatest. If you had them ranked as #1 and #2 best consoles of all time in either order, I wouldn't argue with you.

If you count the SEGA CD and 32X as part of the Genesis, I'd give the slight edge to SEGA. If you don't, then I have the Super Nintendo marginally ahead.

Or the backwards compatibility add-ons, like Super Game Boy (2) or the Power Base Converter, could shake things up too.

It's a shame you can't use the Power Base and the 32X at the same time. That's why my Master System is still hooked up.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Not sure if was just the area or what, but most everyone when I was a kid was into Genesis. It may not have had the best graphics capabilities, but the Sega arcade ports helped it out a lot. Plus, it was a better looking system; the SNES looked like a cheap toy in comparison.

32X was just Sega's life support system for an aging and less powerful system that they were attempting to keep relevant.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
depends what you like, if RPGs are your thing the SNES is the obvious winner, if you are into arcade beat em ups and shooters the Genesis is the obvious choice.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Not sure if was just the area or what, but most everyone when I was a kid was into Genesis. It may not have had the best graphics capabilities, but the Sega arcade ports helped it out a lot. Plus, it was a better looking system; the SNES looked like a cheap toy in comparison.

32X was just Sega's life support system for an aging and less powerful system that they were attempting to keep relevant.

Yeah the US SNES really does look like shit.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
If I had to choose only 1 it'd be the SNES. Luckily I don't have to choose and both have great libraries.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I'll always be more of a SEGA fanboy but the SNES is the better console. sound is better, graphics are better, games tended to be better.

Thats not to say the Genesis wasnt a beast but its really no contest.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
My life is pretty busy and the Genesis has more quick pick up and play games, so I find myself enjoying it more. That and the PC Engine, Neo Geo and Sega Saturn

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
If you count the SEGA CD and 32X as part of the Genesis, I'd give the slight edge to SEGA. If you don't, then I have the Super Nintendo marginally ahead.

LOL, yeah, the 32X and Sega CD really gave Genesis that edge

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
depends what you like, if RPGs are your thing the SNES is the obvious winner, if you are into arcade beat em ups and shooters the Genesis is the obvious choice.

Obvious? I dunno about that. Final Fight series, Undercover Cops and Turtles in Time are all pretty solid beat-em-ups.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
My preference is for the Genesis because it's the system that I had during the "console war", so the Genny is a piece of nostalgia for me while the SNES really isn't. That being said, you could make a case for either being "better". If I were going to assign letter grades to every system ever made, the SNES and Genny would both get A's so there's really no need to try to rank them, in my mind.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Obvious? I dunno about that. Final Fight series, Undercover Cops and Turtles in Time are all pretty solid beat-em-ups.

SNES also had Bebe's kids.

/thread

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

Yep. Ghost Chaser, Knights of The Round, Captain Commando, King of Dragons.

What arcade ports in the genre did the Genesis have? DJ Boy? Uhh..Hyper Stone Heist doesn't count.. let's see..

-SD-

Camel Slug
I was lucky enough to have a Super Famicom and a Megadrive growing up so both systems have a lot of nostalgia attached. They both have fantastic libraries, with each having their own unique exclusives, so it'd be a shame to choose between the two.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Both systems are topnotch. Some might argue that they are the two best gaming consoles of all time. I grew up on the Genny so I give it a slight edge over the Snes but I could totally understand if someone preferred the Snes over the Genny. They are the two consoles I play the most.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
SNES
Better version of MKII, all the RPGs, cool platformers and beat em ups.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
There's no reason not to have both.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Super Nintendo. That being said, the K2 of the 90s would have cut me for saying it.

In hindsight there are genres gaps in the Genesis library that the Super covers in spades.

If we're talking aesthetics Genesis by a mile. Plus the six button Genesis pad > SNES pad