Genesis VS SNES - which was the best?

Tanooki

War Room Troll
So maybe I just missed it, but what makes Sega more adult oriented? I never even remotely took notice in one system being more adult oriented until the PSX. There the game companies were just happy so get away from Nintendo's thumb.

I guess Sega had less censorship, but they still had their fair share compared to imports or PC. The most I even heard anything adult about Sega was Mortal Kombat or the FMV Sega CD games.

Two main reasons. 1) Nintendo censorship. 2) Sega said so and got the early gaming media and an army of stupid children to keep repeating it thanks to ads both in tv and print. It's the original lie that Sony took up to the max with deeming the N64 the kiddie box despite the time they did it Nintendo 64 had more T and M games (in total and system total release percentage) at the time. #1 enabled #2 to be a false truth, a Goebbels like play where you repeat a lie enough times, you get the stupid masses to believe it (Nazis with jews, Sega with Nintendo = toddlers system.)

In the end hardware you could make a fair argument how the newer of the 2 systems of that era had the edge and it's obvious. But, if you go at it from a games perspective even removing all first party releases and ports between both you have to look what remains. See what's there, then draw your conclusions with and without. It's about taste a good deal, but some does come down to what really was there and the impact it made.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Going with the Genesis. Four Sonic games is better than one Mario game. When it comes to most ports I like Genesis version better. Aladdin, Lion King, Mickey Mania, Earthworm Jim, The Lost Viking, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter 2, and NBA Jam are better on the Genesis. I haven't tried some of the other popular ports for the SNES but those are some of the more popular ones.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I would expect a little less stupidity out of a forum of seasoned gamers.

First of all, you could take every single first-party title out of the SNES library, and it would still be one of the best systems ever released.

The Genesis also had a lot of awesome third-party titles, many times from lesser-known companies. Shooters like Steel Empire, Phelios, Insector X, the awesome Thunder Force series, Tengen games like Gauntlet IV, and Namco titles like Splatterhouse 2 and 3. And look at all of the great non-sports EA games like Starflight, Road Rash, Buck Rogers, etc. The Genesis also had a ton of cool games that were Sega-ported third-party arcade games like Ghouls N Ghosts, Forgotten Worlds, MERCS, Strider, etc.

Having a discussion about which of these systems is "better" is like trying to argue about pizza vs. fried chicken.

Yeah...I kind of came to that point a few years back. Until you factor in personal preferences, Genesis = SNES. Only once you've factored in your personal likes does one stand out. Personally, I'm a SNES guy, but that doesn't mean I don't have/love a Genesis. Being a broke kid back in 1992, it was definitely SNES or Genesis...the SNES had Super Mario World and Final Fantasy II, so I went with it. In 2016 however, get both, don't be a douche.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
the reason this debate even exists is because both are pretty great. I started out with a SNES, and later on i got a genesis. Both provide great games, and even though games like sunset riders are different on the genesis, they aren't bad, just not the same. Which IMO is a good thing. The SNES version of maximum carnage is better though :buttrock:

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Going with the Genesis. Four Sonic games is better than one Mario game. When it comes to most ports I like Genesis version better. Aladdin, Lion King, Mickey Mania, Earthworm Jim, The Lost Viking, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter 2, and NBA Jam are better on the Genesis. I haven't tried some of the other popular ports for the SNES but those are some of the more popular ones.

No way is SF2 championship edition beter then SF2 turbo. Sunset Riders was better on the SNES too.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I was comparing of the games I played. Only played vanilla SF2 for SNES. Though I probably shouldn't count games like Aladdin or Batman since they both are different games. Same with Castlevania and Contra. Haven't played Sunset Riders for any of the systems.

At any rate the SNES isn't a bad system and I do plan to collect some games for it. Im just probably biased against it when pitted against the Genesis because that's the system I grew up with.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
This thread is basically this :keke:

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
I grew up with a SNES so I would have to go with that as my favorite of the two. However, both systems are great and I'm glad I have a Genesis as well these days to be able to play many of the games I missed out on. In fact, there are many games being brough up here that I will have to check out. I should get an everdrive for both systems so I can try all these games.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Two main reasons. 1) Nintendo censorship. 2) Sega said so and got the early gaming media and an army of stupid children to keep repeating it thanks to ads both in tv and print. It's the original lie that Sony took up to the max with deeming the N64 the kiddie box despite the time they did it Nintendo 64 had more T and M games (in total and system total release percentage) at the time. #1 enabled #2 to be a false truth, a Goebbels like play where you repeat a lie enough times, you get the stupid masses to believe it (Nazis with jews, Sega with Nintendo = toddlers system.)

In the end hardware you could make a fair argument how the newer of the 2 systems of that era had the edge and it's obvious. But, if you go at it from a games perspective even removing all first party releases and ports between both you have to look what remains. See what's there, then draw your conclusions with and without. It's about taste a good deal, but some does come down to what really was there and the impact it made.

I agree with what you're saying, though it always seemed PSX took the developers who wanted to do something more adultish then what they were allowed to do in the past. By the time Nintendo got around to the N64 the developers left were all the ones who wanted to do the kiddie games. However if you look even at the PSX there is plenty of censorship even on that system.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I was comparing of the games I played. Only played vanilla SF2 for SNES. Though I probably shouldn't count games like Aladdin or Batman since they both are different games. Same with Castlevania and Contra. Haven't played Sunset Riders for any of the systems.

At any rate the SNES isn't a bad system and I do plan to collect some games for it. Im just probably biased against it when pitted against the Genesis because that's the system I grew up with.

That's kind of my point...there was quite a bit less apples-vs-apples concerning the SNES and Genesis than many make it out to be. There wasn't a ton of quality level games that were released on both system. Even the Konami trio (Contra, Castlevania, Turtles) isn't all that comparable. Outside of Turtles, Castlevania and Contra were completely different titles.

That's the beauty of owning both, there's so many games on each system that have no equal on the other system.

Lee_Rekka

Mr. Big's Thug
I was lucky enough to own both as a kid, so the console wars was never really a thing I understood because both systems had fun games. I would always play my Genesis more though because of the types of games I like. I never liked RPGS, so you can take a nice chunk out of what people would say are classic SNES games right there. I loved STG's and action games, and from the games I owned when I was a kid, I had a ton more action games on my genesis. I did own alot of action of staples on SNES though like Contra,TMNT and Castlevania etc.

What system you prefer just comes down to what type of games your into at the end of the day.
But who gives a fuck today, Play both, and shut up.

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
That's kind of my point...there was quite a bit less apples-vs-apples concerning the SNES and Genesis than many make it out to be. There wasn't a ton of quality level games that were released on both system. Even the Konami trio (Contra, Castlevania, Turtles) isn't all that comparable. Outside of Turtles, Castlevania and Contra were completely different titles.

That's the beauty of owning both, there's so many games on each system that have no equal on the other system.

That's what I'm saying. Each system very much has its own flavor, and both are awesome in their own way. You can't fucking pick one, because you're a god damned retard if you don't love them both.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
I never had to worry about this bullshit with my Genesis....

snes_plastic_2_large.jpg

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

Thanks bro, I'm pretty proud of it. It was my first time painting plastic with spray paint! I used matte black krylon fusion (meant for plastic), and other than a small mishap on the back of the cart slot piece the whole thing turned out pretty well I think. The silver Super Nintendo logo is a foil sticker I got off ebay and after I got done applying the black paint, I put the sticker on and did a few clear coats with flat crystal clear krylon fusion, so the sticker is permanently in there under the surface. Love the shiny.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
now that is freaking cool.

i guess you didnt paint the eject button because the paint will wear off?

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
now that is freaking cool.

i guess you didnt paint the eject button because the paint will wear off?

I didn't paint the buttons for 2 reasons:

1) I would either need to repaint or find a decal for "power", "reset", and "eject" lettering.
2) I was afraid that if I painted any of the buttons it would scrape on the system's top shell and cause damage or get stuck.

The controller ports and the plastic piece in the back that has the power and video plugs in it also remains unpainted. Didn't want to fuck anything up!

I'm not worried about the paint coming off of this thing, there's at least 3 coats of black and 2 clear coats, it's solid! I used the whole black spray can on this thing! :lolz:

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Looks good. You could take it apart to paint the eject button and let it dry.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I would expect a little less stupidity out of a forum of seasoned gamers.

First of all, you could take every single first-party title out of the SNES library, and it would still be one of the best systems ever released.

The Genesis also had a lot of awesome third-party titles, many times from lesser-known companies. Shooters like Steel Empire, Phelios, Insector X, the awesome Thunder Force series, Tengen games like Gauntlet IV, and Namco titles like Splatterhouse 2 and 3. And look at all of the great non-sports EA games like Starflight, Road Rash, Buck Rogers, etc. The Genesis also had a ton of cool games that were Sega-ported third-party arcade games like Ghouls N Ghosts, Forgotten Worlds, MERCS, Strider, etc.

Having a discussion about which of these systems is "better" is like trying to argue about pizza vs. fried chicken.

That's pretty much it. Just depends on the mood I am in. Both get the rotation pretty evenly.

Adult-Oriented to me at least, means that sega had more titles that were a little more controversial back in the day. For example, Mortal Kombat had blood. And games like Splatterhouse never would have made it to the SNES in the states. There were more games dad would play when the kids hit the sack. That was the main appeal of the genesis along with sports titles, which I must say blew the snes sports titles out of the water. NHL, PGA, and the Mutant League series were strong titles back then. Pat Riley Basketball was also good, and very popular.

But on another token, SNES had the baseball titles. Ken Griffey is still an amazing game. I don't even like sports games really, but in the 16-bit era, there were some good one.

The before mention Rocket Knight Adventures was indeed a genesis exclusive, and is easily one of my favorites on the console. The robot battles were epic. Yes, I think it's better than Super Mario World, but not Super Metroid.

It's easy for me to say that the Genesis is the better console, but after really thinking about it, I really do think they are pretty even, but for different reasons.

The reason I like stuff like Landstalker so much, is the same reason I like a lot of games a lot of people don't care much for. Because they they try something new and succeed. The Diamond Dimension System in Landstalker, which most people gripe about, is what made it so good. There is a learning curve, but once you learned the game it was amazing. The graphics were great, the puzzles were much better than the zelda "puch a block" puzzles. They were well though out. The game actually had some story, and humor, and it was done well. Plus the music is some of the best on the genesis. To those of you who are so quick to dismiss Landstalker as being inferior to ALTTP, I am curious if you actually beat the game, or just say Zelda is better because it's Zelda? It pretty much does everything Zelda does, and does it better. It's not leaps and bounds better than a link to the past, they are actually both really close to me, but I give the edge to landstalker.

This conversation is pointless though as Jibba stated. There's no point arguing about 2 great systems, in a retro gaming forum, especially when most people consist of nintendo fan boys who will defend nintendo to the grave. The same people who claim Nintendo is superior in every way, are the same gamer/collectors houses I visit who have a thousand+ game collection, only 20 of which are Sega games. If you actually sit down with the genesis, with a positive attitude, and not thinking Nintendo is superior in every way, you might realize that Sega has a very strong library.

I'm actually surprised most people are siding with the SNES instead of taking a neutral stance, considering a lot of people here seem to be arcade fans.

I was a SNES kid growing up too, and swore up and down that Sega wasn't as good, but I have grown to appreciate both libraries about equally.

xorthen

Banned
That's what I'm saying. Each system very much has its own flavor, and both are awesome in their own way. You can't fucking pick one, because you're a god damned retard if you don't love them both.

I liked the Genesis, and never really loved it.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Looks good. You could take it apart to paint the eject button and let it dry.

Oh yeah, I took the whole system apart to paint it. But with how many coats I wanted to do, I knew there was a risk of the buttons not fitting back together if I used paint on them. I like them still standing out from the systems color anyways though, even the purple looks better with black than it did with the original gray.