Genesis / Mega Drive Mini

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I don't even like reading shit like this, it's so infuriating

They offered him a small upfront fee and he rightfully rejected it. The US/EU release was an afterthought, again, I agree that this was somewhat rushed in that respect.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I agree that this was somewhat rushed in that respect.
Lfhq.gif

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Yeah, he still owns the rights to the English translation. Sega of Japan wanted it but Vic rejected their offer.
Honestly if they're going through the effort of actually simulating super scaler hardware and fixing/editing some games (rip Ash), Sega should just re-translate it once and for all, even if the games aren't really theirs (aren't those from Falcom?)

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Honestly if they're going through the effort of actually simulating super scaler hardware and fixing/editing some games (rip Ash), Sega should just re-translate it once and for all, even if the games aren't really theirs (aren't those from Falcom?)

Popful was but Lunar was from Game Arts

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I really think Snatcher should've been a "duh" for this as well.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Yeah, he still owns the rights to the English translation. Sega of Japan wanted it but Vic rejected their offer.

I can do without his translation. It’s the total lack of either version that pisses me off…presumably he has an unlimited exclusivity deal for all versions?

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I really think Snatcher should've been a "duh" for this as well.

I heard there’s some royalty issues and stuff with the translation and voice actors. But I’m guessing they’re actually not sure and probably don’t want to get sued.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Sega doesn't own the rights to a good chunk of those Sega CD games, and the license holder probably wants more than Sega is willing to pay for a small run cheap emu box. Vic Ireland has already stated he wanted more money for the Working Designs games, and whoever owns the rights to the Digital Pictures games keeps getting handed a pile of cash from LRG every so often.
Yeah i know about the deal going with vic went nowhere since wd did localize and publish lunar and popful mail.I still have original copies of the games,so i'm good i just see it as a disappointment since there not on the mini II.Far as third party sega-cd games go i wasn't expecting to see some thing like keio flying squadron on it either.I'm still undecided if i'll buy one but since the mini II has a smaller run i'll have to make a choice soon.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
This is quickly becoming my favorite mini system. Playing Shining Force CD for the first time. I missed this opportunity whatever it was WTF was I supposed to do after this?

Oh! And apparently they added two different deflicker options for the updated space harrier.

Attachments

• IMG_20221106_094030.jpg
    IMG_20221106_094030.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
This is quickly becoming my favorite mini system. Playing Shining Force CD for the first time. I missed this opportunity whatever it was WTF was I supposed to do after this?

Oh! And apparently they added two different deflicker options for the updated space harrier.
Glad you like it. Have you noticed any sound lags? Some reviewers said it's quite noticeable in a number of games.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Glad you like it. Have you noticed any sound lags? Some reviewers said it's quite noticeable in a number of games.
You know, people said the same about the last one. Honestly, no - I don't notice it. If I watch a YT video of people playing it in slo-mo, yeah I see it like "hey the little Sonic jump sound is 2 frames late!"...but as a human, playing the game? No

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
You know, people said the same about the last one. Honestly, no - I don't notice it. If I watch a YT video of people playing it in slo-mo, yeah I see it like "hey the little Sonic jump sound is 2 frames late!"...but as a human, playing the game? No
Thought as much. Doing slo-mo comparisons is one thing but impact on gameplay is another, and if it's good, it's good.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
It was noticeable when I played Castle of Illusion, overall the first MD Mini was still pretty good.
I liked those mini consoles but most of them don't get enough play time after the first month. Especially when you still own the original hardware or a MiSTer.
Using the PlayStation Mini controllers on my MiSTer now. So even the worst mini was worth it for me.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
It was noticeable when I played Castle of Illusion, overall the first MD Mini was still pretty good.
I liked those mini consoles but most of them don't get enough play time after the first month. Especially when you still own the original hardware or a MiSTer.
Using the PlayStation Mini controllers on my MiSTer now. So even the worst mini was worth it for me.

I'm weird, it's getting more play than my Mister mainly because I get overwhelmed when I flip on the Mister. It's easier for me to pick from 60 rather than thousands. I'll sit down to play X game on PCE with the Mister and 10 minutes later I'm still scrolling Gameboy roms, wondering what I turned it on for.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
I'm on the fence selling my minis and buying a second MiSTer. I adjusted my romsets when I got my MiSTer but some months later the SanDisk micro SD died. Didn't bother and just copied full sets to the replacement card. Except for the CD systems and even then it takes some time.

It's great that there are multiple options to play old games. I was a huge fan of those minis even if I always had multiple options to emulate stuff or play on original hardware. I still prefer playing on a CRT. Went from original hardware to emulation, back to original hardware but the journey probably ends on the MiSTer for me.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I'm on the fence selling my minis and buying a second MiSTer. I adjusted my romsets when I got my MiSTer but some months later the SanDisk micro SD died. Didn't bother and just copied full sets to the replacement card. Except for the CD systems and even then it takes some time.

It's great that there are multiple options to play old games. I was a huge fan of those minis even if I always had multiple options to emulate stuff or play on original hardware. I still prefer playing on a CRT. Went from original hardware to emulation, back to original hardware but the journey probably ends on the MiSTer for me.
Pretty much same path for me. The fact I could accurately play Super Gameboy on Mister was a game changer.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
The deflicker modes on the Space Harrier games are dope

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Lightening Force let's you pick regular or "high speed" mode that fixes the slowdown.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member

Bruh, didn't you have that Terraonion cart that played CD games? Why didn't you play it back then?

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Bruh, didn't you have that Terraonion cart that played CD games? Why didn't you play it back then?
sensory overload is a problem. When I can choose from EVERYTHING, I am increasingly playing nothing. My Genesis is packed up in the closet, sold my PCE and SFC...its Mister or Minis for me, man. Mister is the same problem, I just sit there and browse lists for fucking ever or play something for 2 seconds and get ADD and switch again.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
This damn "mega drive mini 2 tower" is stupid and ridiculous and the fact it comes with the extension plate for the Gen1 mini....it's ridiculous and I love it.

Meaningless and gratuitous bump end.

IMG_20221218_094934.jpg

IMG_20221218_094928.jpg

IMG_20221218_094946.jpg

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Why do these mini systems only have some of the games that the system had? Why don't they just include them all?