Genesis / Mega Drive Mini

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Silicon Era said:
Sega announced during Sega Fes 2019 that the Sega Genesis Mini/Mega Drive Mini will release worldwide on September 19, featuring 40 games, which will differ between North America, Europe, and Japan regions. There are two different SKUS, with one coming with one controller, and the other coming with two.

Here are the titles confirmed for the Japanese version, which includes Castlevania: Bloodlines (Vampire Killer in Japan) which is being rereleased for the first time ever:

Gunstar Heroes
Comix Zone
Shining Force
Space Harrier II
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Castlevania: Bloodlines
Puyo Puyo Tsu
Madou Monogatari I
Powerball
Rent-A-Hero

The Mega Drive Mini is being developed by M2, and is set to have new menu music by prolific former Sega composer Yuzo Koshiro. The physical unit itself has various sliding switches and you can also push down the cartridge slot cover, recreating the original console’s buttons. The console has HDMI output, and the Genesis/Mega Drive controllers are USB-based.

The mini console will have four quick save slot options for each game where you can save your immediate progress, like other mini consoles. Furthermore, the Mega Drive Mini will have various language options, and games like Castlevania: Bloodlines will change its title based on what region language it’s in.

The Sega Genesis Mini/Mega Drive Mini will release on September 19, 2019 worldwide. More info on the included games in each region will be revealed later.
Silicon Era Link | Official Site (Japanese) | Official Site (American)

Last edited:

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
It's worth noting the Japanese version includes a six button controller and the American is a three button.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
It's worth noting the Japanese version includes a six button controller and the American is a three button.

Classic America right there. I forgot how bad that three button pad was until I found one in my stuff recently. Once the six button came out I never looked back.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I’ve actually been using a 3 button MD pad on my MD because I only have US 6 buttons pads and I’m anal about using he right region controller apparently. I’m surprised by how much I don’t hate it. I remember really disliking it when I was a kid and my friends had model 1s. I’d switch to the 6 no problem but they’re ridiculously expensive now.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
I don't need one of these as I have a full original Genesis setup already - and no real HDMI screen that's worth a damn anyways, but I am always very excited about any work by M2. They always go above and beyond for their projects. I've always wanted a JAP MegaDrive, so perhaps this will be it.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Pretty cool device, just hope there are no shortages on stock as it could prove quite popular.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm not totally sure I want one, but preordered just in case.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I'm not totally sure I want one, but preordered just in case.

yep, did the same - hopefully the US game list isn't just Vectorman and ToeJam and Earl and Ecco junk.

USA version:
3-button controllers

Tommy LaSorta Baseball
Altered Beast
ToeJam and Earl
Ecco
Ecco 2
Sonic 1
Super Monaco GP
Joe Montana Football
Joe Montana Football 2
Comix Zone
Vectorman
Vectorman 2
Eternal Champions

etc etc

Last edited:

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Looks cool n all but I'll be picking up a mega sg instead.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
I'd be all over this if I hadn't just got my odroid setup. Really can't see any point in it now though.

Leback

Stakes Winner
Looks promising with M2 handling the emulation and 40 games included. Hopefully all regions will get the different versions of Castlevania like the Jap version.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
You can preorder the Mega Drive Mini in Europe at the official Sega Shop for 68 € shipped. (^_^)

Use the 15% off coupon: GOFAST15

jtNiuQ7.png

Edit:
https://www.segashop.eu/products/sega-mega-drive-mini-with-free-keyring

Last edited:

Shinchan

n00b
So they can sell Americans the 6-button controller separately, leaving you with useless 3-button controllers that end up stuck in a drawer...

Last edited:

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Once I found out M2 was handling this thing I pre-ordered the moment it came up. No contest.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'm more interested in the hardware being used in this thing, hopefully stronger than a SNES mini.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Titles 11-20:

• Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
  • Contra: The Hard Corps
  • Dyna Brothers 2 Special
  • Game no Kanzume Otokuyou
  • The Hybrid Front
  • Landstalker
  • M.U.S.H.A.
  • Thunder Force III
  • Streets of Rage 2
  • Super Fantasy Zone

Obviously some of these may differ in the west.