Genesis / Mega Drive Mini

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
BTW, it makes me wonder why only Sonic 2 is featured in Japan, since it was an S.T.I. production. Road Rash II is another questionable choice for the eastern market.
Really? As if Sonic 2 wasn't a massive release for the console worldwide? It's an honorary Western-developed title at best, since it plays nothing like a Western release.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Really? As if Sonic 2 wasn't a massive release for the console worldwide? It's an honorary Western-developed title at best, since it plays nothing like a Western release.

In my opinion Japan seldom cares what "worldwide" thinks, and they are touchy about such things as the developing location. From the records of the developing process, it becomes clear that there were constant frictions between the japanese & western parts of the Sonic 2 team and Naka himself was depicted as arrogant and unlikable by the other side, an entire stage designed by the western part was scratched. So yes, I'm surprised that the second Sonic is on that list, while the first is not featured at all.

But maybe Sonic is one of those exceptions, which the western market recognized more, than its homeland. Rolling Thunder was such an exception, consequently Namco released the 3rd exclusively in the US. Power Strike 2 and a lot of other Master System releases never hit Mark III. The western Neo-Geo fanbase was granted with the Metal Slug 3 release (thanks Shawn) and subsequent Playmore english versions. Finally, Sonic was launched in the west, the japanese version came last, though slightly improved.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The Mark III was done in Japan by the time Power Strike 2 hit.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The Mega Drive was done in Japan by the time Alien Soldier or Comix Zone were released there. 1993 is late though, so let's have an earlier example: The Mark III never got Dragon's Trap, even though an FM-ost was already produced. The first time the japanese audience could actually play it was on the Engine via Hudson's remake Adventure Island, a year and a half later.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
In my opinion Japan seldom cares what "worldwide" thinks, and they are touchy about such things as the developing location. From the records of the developing process, it becomes clear that there were constant frictions between the japanese & western parts of the Sonic 2 team and Naka himself was depicted as arrogant and unlikable by the other side, an entire stage designed by the western part was scratched. So yes, I'm surprised that the second Sonic is on that list, while the first is not featured at all.

Don;t mess with Texas.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
SEGA Europe said:
Unfortunately due to unavoidable logistical challenges, the European and Middle Eastern release of the Mega Drive Mini will be delayed by two weeks, to October 4th 2019. We appreciate your patience.
Source

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
It's worth noting the Japanese version includes a six button controller and the American is a three button.

It still just baffles me why they would make a change like this. Just give everybody the six button controller.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
My Life in Gaming and Game Sack have there previews up.Though i was all ready sold on the u.s model but i am annoyed still that japan get's musha,snow brothers,slap fight.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I think it's crazy that true emulation of the soundchip is still incomplete. I have a Model 2 and I read that even that has issues with the sound and it's original hardware! WTF is up with that?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I think it's crazy that true emulation of the soundchip is still incomplete. I have a Model 2 and I read that even that has issues with the sound and it's original hardware! WTF is up with that?

Cutting costs made the soundchip shittier.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
The genesis was inconsistent with sound like the snes was with rgb video. It really is a night and day difference when you are playing games with really good sound on the genny.

Last edited:

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member

Genesis was designed and manufactured with off the shelf parts, so different runs/models have different quality parts.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
There's a poetic justice about the sound issue, too. People admire the Wondermega for the design, but its sound quality is inferior. Everything has its price, I guess.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Eventually I'm going to get my Genesis modded. I think my model 2 sounds fine but you can never be too sure.

shelcoof

New Challenger
Not too hyped about this but I'm slowly getting hyped as the release date gets closer. Definitely a lot of games on the collection I grew up playing.
And best of all its done by M2!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The older the unit, the better.

Not necessarily. Sega eventually got their shit together and the last revisions of the model 2, as well as the CDX and X'Eye all have good sound. It was the ones around the middle (late model 1s and early model 2s) that were garbage, but those were also the ones that were sold when the Genesis was perhaps the most popular so there are a lot of those systems out there.

fake

15 Year Member
Not necessarily. Sega eventually got their shit together and the last revisions of the model 2, as well as the CDX and X'Eye all have good sound. It was the ones around the middle (late model 1s and early model 2s) that were garbage, but those were also the ones that were sold when the Genesis was perhaps the most popular so there are a lot of those systems out there.

My model 2 was the bundle with Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles. Is that an OK one? I've never noticed an issue with the sound but I've never A/B tested between that and my Nomad or model 1 Mega Drive.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If you're not autistic and you're happy with your Genesis, keep playing.

If you gotta know, flip the Genesis over and look at the air vents. The bottom of the PCB is covered by a metal RF shield that you can see through the vents. If you can see it through all of the vents you have one of the older ones, if you can only see it through the vents on one side you have a newer one, as those PCBs were smaller and didn't fit the entire case.

Pic stolen from Google:

post-21417-0-34543700-1476238537.jpg

fake

15 Year Member
Ah OK - was asking more out of curiosity than anything else. I wouldn't replace my childhood Genesis even if it had a crummy audio chip.