Genesis / Mega Drive Mini

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Does anyone here use Project Lunar on their mini at all? I did for awhile, then put it back to stock, but the pics I posted with the CDRom made me want to install it again for CD games. Seems to only use the genesis GX core in retroarch though. It's not the most elegant user experience. Anyone else mess with this for CD?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Why do these mini systems only have some of the games that the system had? Why don't they just include them all?
Because Sega would have to pay royalties for games that were not originally released/licensed by them, which means a fully legal all-in-one release would have a prohibitive price tag.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Does anyone here use Project Lunar on their mini at all? I did for awhile, then put it back to stock, but the pics I posted with the CDRom made me want to install it again for CD games. Seems to only use the genesis GX core in retroarch though. It's not the most elegant user experience. Anyone else mess with this for CD?
I did for a minute on the first mini, but I never really used it much. If I’m just gonna play Genesis Plus GX I have plenty of devices for that.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I did for a minute on the first mini, but I never really used it much. If I’m just gonna play Genesis Plus GX I have plenty of devices for that.
Yeah, same here. But I get off on these retarded tangents every so often.

Hackchi might be better. Or D.) None of the above. (plays Mister)

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Because Sega would have to pay royalties for games that were not originally released/licensed by them, which means a fully legal all-in-one release would have a prohibitive price tag.
But they're all just old retro games (which can pretty much only be sold on compilations these days, at best), so you'd think the licensing costs wouldn't be that much.
And there was the Neo Geo X, where it came with some games, but they were going to make further games available on SD cards.

Last edited:

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
A flight stick for your Mega Drive mini
Famitsu Cyber stick

wbfZjfj.jpg

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
A flight stick for your Mega Drive mini
Famitsu Cyber stick

wbfZjfj.jpg

I had the X68K version with the PCE adapter for years. Super rad controller, but gathered a ton of dust because there is only so much After Burner/Space Harrier once can play to justify a $200 controller. However, if it were available at retail price on Amazon JP...I'd probably buy. But they sold out fast I think? or this:

1671900233917.png

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
I had the X68K version with the PCE adapter for years. Super rad controller, but gathered a ton of dust because there is only so much After Burner/Space Harrier once can play to justify a $200 controller. However, if it were available at retail price on Amazon JP...I'd probably buy. But they sold out fast I think? or this:

View attachment 61523
only for Japan ? :cry:

Original post from Famitsu Website

Edit: it's Old news, from june.
The price on Amazon is probably not the retail price at his origin.

For two games only.. It's a bit useless yes.
Useless but collectible 😅

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
only for Japan ? :cry:

Original post from Famitsu Website

Edit: it's Old news, from june.
The price on Amazon is probably not the retail price at his origin.

For two games only.. It's a bit useless yes.
Useless but collectible 😅
Don't get me wrong. I had a blast with the X68K version.....for like an hour 😂

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I finally as i mention before i was on the fence for one.So last week i bought it and i'm pleased with this plug'n'play so far.The emulation is pretty spot on as usual thanks in part to M2.Genesis selection i'm fine with but i think having clay fighters on it is a waste.If sega wanted more fighters,i would have prefer eternal champions challenge from the dark side instead at least.Sega-cd selection is rather slim compare to the japanese version but better then nothing.I am satisfy that shining force cd finally has a official release again that game was kind of lost to time.The only biggest missed opportunity i see is snatcher not being on it.All in all a worth while buy if you don't have genesis plus a collection or a mister to use.My only gripe it not being sold at retail and it being a amazon exclusive plus you pay extra for shipping from japan.

Note i hope it get's hacked so you can add more sega-cd games to it.

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Kinda' shocked these are still available on Amazon US. Bums me out, thinking about future mini consoles.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Kinda' shocked these are still available on Amazon US. Bums me out, thinking about future mini consoles.
It was sold out but then a week later it got restock i don't know if it's selling enough to convince sega for trying a dc mini next.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
It was sold out but then a week later it got restock i don't know if it's selling enough to convince sega for trying a dc mini next.

Exactly, or any other oddball hardware gimmick. I like seeing these things come out more than reissued carts.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I'd love a SMS mini and maybe throw in some GG games to play on the big screen as well

Yeah, or a Game Gear mini (full-size) you could plug into a TV, with tons of Master System.